PDA

View Full Version : Cheap IR vs Expensive IR

felixflyer
10th Nov 2010, 10:54
I see lots of people on here talking about the best places to get an IR and there seems to be a lot of people that believe the UK is the best place to get it. There are some cheap schools around Europe but every time it comes up on here people post saying the airlines will not look at someone with an IR issued in Spain, Poland etc. Is this actually true? Is there any proof of this?

It is becoming more and more the case that the fATPL alone will not get you a job and you will need to be paying for a TR or maybe even Line training. Many people have said that after the first job nobody cares where you went or how you trained so is it going to become the case that the school where you took the IR will matter less and less as long as you have the TR etc? You could save a chunk of money by doing the IR in Poland and this could be put towards a TR.

Mercenary Pilot
10th Nov 2010, 12:32
There are some cheap schools around Europe but every time it comes up on here people post saying the airlines will not look at someone with an IR issued in Spain, Poland etc. Is this actually true?

Depends on the company, I know an airline in the UK that will no longer interview pilots trained by a certain British FTO due to the abysmal IF skills displayed by their former students. But to say that ALL UK airlines will not employ foreign trained pilots is frankly bull****.

I have professionally flown with pilots trained in all those countries mentioned (including the UK) and there are good and bad from all. The decision on where you should train should come from quality of the training afforded within your budget. The IR should be the area your budget is built around, stuff like hour building and MCC is where you should financially cut corners if you must.

It is becoming more and more the case that the fATPL alone will not get you a job and you will need to be paying for a TR or maybe even Line training.

It is still possible to work your way up but everybody wants the shiny jet NOW and so P2F is the way it is now but I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to pay to work for an airline without a solid contract at the end.

The worrying thing is the amount of new pilots going out to fly in dangerous places like Indonesia and paying to do it! Personally if I go out to some where like that, I expect a big fat cheque! Still, its their career and if something does go wrong then at least there is a chance that Western airlines and Aviation Authorities wont find out they were involved. Its a shame its come to this but until there is a Colganair type accident or a change of insurance requirements, this will not change.

Many people have said that after the first job nobody cares where you went or how you trained so is it going to become the case that the school where you took the IR will matter less and less as long as you have the TR etc?

Often true, if you have the qualifications, pass the checks and are available then you normally get the slot, especially if you are a contractor.

You could save a chunk of money by doing the IR in Poland and this could be put towards a TR.

As long as the school is a good one then you could do that, but again the IR is a very important foundation to your profession so if you are poorly trained then you will struggle with a proper TR (there are shoddy TRTO's out there too though) and/or you will be exposed on a sim check with a proper airline so you dont gain anything by going cheap on the IR.

Hope this helps.

rmcb
10th Nov 2010, 12:36
The pound being what it is at the moment, I would venture that the abroad issue ain't what it used to be.

I would go for the SEIR version - no asymmetry to worry about, more time to concentrate on instruments and their interpretation (Never Get Lost is a superb rethink on the TO/FROM rubbish spouted in some schools...). Face it, there are no jobs out there for the unconnected pilot; do not be conned into the 'MEIR improves your prospects' mindset. You will only have an expensive rating to maintain, as I am finding!

Not having detailed feedback from the three interviews (of 250ish enquiries), I cannot say whether or not my IR school's location was a deciding factor. I do believe, however, that we should all hold out against PTF options - the way this capricious industry works, that will be treated the same way in two years' time.

Spend the money saved by not doing MEIR practicing on a low priced IR fitted SE aircraft - thereby keeping at least SE, IR and flying skills up to snuff.

Mercenary Pilot
10th Nov 2010, 13:25
I would go for the SEIR version - no asymmetry to worry about, more time to concentrate on instruments and their interpretation (Never Get Lost is a superb rethink on the TO/FROM rubbish spouted in some schools...). Face it, there are no jobs out there for the unconnected pilot; do not be conned into the 'MEIR improves your prospects' mindset. You will only have an expensive rating to maintain, as I am finding!

As far as I'm aware, a current and valid Multi-Engine Instrument Rating is a pre-requirement for a multi pilot type rating as a major part of a multi-crew type rating is handling the aircraft with a powerplant shut down.

I do believe, however, that we should all hold out against PTF options - the way this capricious industry works, that will be treated the same way in two years' time.

Unfortunately this wont ever happen until politics or money dictate. Its a dog eat dog industry and the behaviour of the pilot union is just utterly disgraceful so don't expect any help there ether. Bottom Line - You have to do what's best for your personal career.

rmcb
10th Nov 2010, 14:11
As far as I'm aware, a current and valid Multi-Engine Instrument Rating is a pre-requirement for a multi pilot type rating as a major part of a multi-crew type rating is handling the aircraft with a powerplant shut down.

Absolutely.

However, I believe that you are better off getting the qualification and maintaining it with the money saved; the market just isn't showing well within the 36 months post last ATPL exam. When (if?) the market picks up then, when you're feeling bullish, go the whole hog, upgrade to MEIR - if you have maintained well then all you really have to get is the ME element.

Just my opinion...