PDA

View Full Version : Difference and Familiarization training

Luckystar77
9th Nov 2010, 20:55
Hi,

I have a technical question regarding JAR-FCL terms. Does anybody knows what is meant by Difference training and what should cover Familiarization training as far as JAR-FCL requirements are concerned?

I wonder if there is a difference between those terms or we can use them interchangably.

Salbar
10th Nov 2010, 03:04
Ok, lets start with Difference training:
There are seven major differences regarding class ratings:
1. Tail Dragger
2. Turbo Charged
3. EFIS cockpit
4. Single-Lever throttle
5. Constant speed
6. Retractable gear
7. Pressurization (pressurized cabin)

E.g. If you have a class rating on a Piper Arrow (Constant speed & Retractable gear), and you want to fly a Cirrus (Constant speed & EFIS cockpit), you need a difference training because there is a specific difference to your plane and the one you want to fly.
However, if you have a rating on a plane that has one or more of the above, and you want to fly a plane that is one short, you don't need difference training.

Now; Familiarization Training:
If you have a rating on a Piper Cadet (which has none of the 1-7 differences above), and you want to fly a Cessna 152 (which I believe also has none of the above), you need a familiarization course. Why? Speeds and/or SOP's will differ from plane to plane. High-wing/low-wing, wing-profile etc.
So if there is no difference between the plane on which you have the rating and the one you want to fly (hardwarewise, see 1-7 differences), you would only need a familiarization course.

Hope this helps :)

madlandrover
11th Nov 2010, 18:18
Practically, differences training is done by flight, familiarisation training can be covered by ground briefings.