PDA

View Full Version : V Australia Future

WingClapper
9th Nov 2010, 17:30
V Australia to announce expansion to 25 aircraft over the next 5 years orders include the 787, more 777 and more A330s for VB. Asia is on the destination list along with India and Canada. Management keeping the current EBA salaries down to enable the hiring of new pilots to a minimal expense for the expansion.

KRUSTY 34
9th Nov 2010, 18:02
So let me get this right 'Clapper.

VA are to expand to the tune of 25 wide-bodied aircraft over the next 5 years, at a cost of..., I don't know..., around 2 Billion dollars? And you're saying that the T&C's have to be kept low to ensure this happens, Do I have this right!

Notwithstanding the fact that VA are yet to turn a profit, I think paying Crews reasonable salaries would be the least of Management's worries.

Interesting wind-up for a first post! :rolleyes:

virginexcess
9th Nov 2010, 18:57
And your source is??

My info tells me that the expansion will come from acquiring PB 737's. Not sure how many they have (anyone got accurate numbers?) but add them to 5-7 777's and i think you come up with a number around 20-25, which was a number put forward by John Borghetti when he announced the restructure.

AirborneSoon
10th Nov 2010, 00:28
V Australia to announce expansion to 25 aircraft over the next 5 years orders include the 787, more 777 and more A330s for VB. Asia is on the destination list along with India and Canada. Management keeping the current EBA salaries down to enable the hiring of new pilots to a minimal expense for the expansion.

And where is the $$ for this spending spree going to come from? They've converted hard orders for 777s to options due to lack of profitability and demand, good luck to getting your hands on a 787 this side of 2015 (that's IF the delivery schedule for this aircraft isn't pushed back yet again). :rolleyes: I suppose you'll be telling us they have an A380 on order soon...

Mr. Hat
10th Nov 2010, 00:36
And where is the $$ for this spending spree going to come from?

The VB pilots profit share.

bangbounceboeing
10th Nov 2010, 00:38
It's going to stay with just the 5 777's for at least a couple more years.:(

ai pai
10th Nov 2010, 01:33
So PB are getting more aircraft?..
or they just crewed by VB pilots under Pb banner?..

Goat Whisperer
10th Nov 2010, 08:25
PB operate 9 737s, 10 on a good day.

SpannerTwister
10th Nov 2010, 10:17
I suppose you'll be telling us they have an A380 on order soon... Might be able to pick up a few XXLD orders at an attractive price soon, especially if you don't mind the RR engine option :) S.T

neville_nobody
10th Nov 2010, 11:22
Given neither of these airlines make money, how are all these new machines going to be financed? Or are they going to risk VB for the sake of two unprofitable airlines? Very risky move if that's the case.

bangbounceboeing
10th Nov 2010, 19:43
nobody can understand how VA can ever make a profit or give Qantas a run for there money with only 5 aircraft, the recent aircraft damage in LA which threw the operation into utter chaos with flights cancelled, delayed does nothing to draw the flying public to try VA. :rolleyes:

AirborneSoon
10th Nov 2010, 20:18
VB cannot afford to finance a large scale international expansion, hence the reason why the domestic network is now being better resourced. It wasn't a brilliant idea to launch VA and now all that can be done is to roll with it and not pour more money down that avenue. :rolleyes:

ai pai
10th Nov 2010, 21:05
poly blue seems to be making the money for PB:ok:...might be a reason behind no contract extension for Virgin and Samoan Govt...

SilverSleuth
10th Nov 2010, 21:22
This is a massive wind up. VA will NOT be expanding at all anytime soon. That is straight from JB's mouth. They are a operation which is under constant review atm and are more likely to be closed down in the next few years if the delta deal etc don't go through.

Crew rest.
10th Nov 2010, 21:59
Bang BB_ VA is officially making money on the US routes.

Goat Whisperer
10th Nov 2010, 23:18
...this week.

Mr. Hat
10th Nov 2010, 23:21
In the short term 5 frames. In the long term it will be flying to Europe Asia and the rest. There will be 4 engined types no doubt.

Sand dune Sam
11th Nov 2010, 02:51
I dont think it will be VA expanding greatly over the course of the next five years or so...its more plausible that the VB A330 operation will be in creased and expanded to cover Asia....If I was a betting man I'd say that JB would be looking at putting the VB A330's against the Jetstar A330's,
into every port they operate into plus more?

inandout
11th Nov 2010, 03:43
Asia is now the domain of PB, and the money is on the 787 for this in due time to complement VA here. So it will end up like Qantas/Jetstar arrangement.
VB will collect more and more 330 over coming years for domestic only. Emb 170 are being sold.
Well this is the plan to date, but hell things change don't they.

Mr. Hat
11th Nov 2010, 03:53
Reckon you're right Sand Dune.

Question is are they going to persist with the hiding the Embraers are getting against the Q400?

That turbo prop makes an awful lot of cash for the rat. How long will JB leave that sleeping dog lie.

Was the 777 the right aircraft after all. Or was it the right aircraft with the wrong size cargo doors? Does number 5 have big or small doors?

ga_trojan
11th Nov 2010, 04:15
VB are operating to Indo with VH registered aircraft on an Australian AOC under a Pacific Blue brand name. If Pac Bro want access to Asia they then have to get the NZ government to negotiate rights for them to operate there. Which I imagine will then bring Air NZ into the game as well. There are also issues of operating out of Australia on a NZ AOC using Australian traffic rights etc

I cannot envisage Pac Blue doing much more than it already does unless there is a big push for deregulation throughout the world. International traffic rights are a political hot potato and I am not to sure how the NZ government will enjoy giving traffic rights to what is perceived as an Australian Airline.

I would have thought the best option would be expanding Voz into Asia and linking up with Ethiad, VB does domestic, Pac Blue the Tasman.

Sand dune Sam
11th Nov 2010, 04:15
From what Im hearing PB cant even crew its own operation let alone anything more such as Asia...reality is that the 737 is too small to operate from east coast Australia to Bali.....Perth-Phuket as well...capping 737 loads to between 120-150 just to take enough fuel is not viable long term..the A330 will have to end up doing those routes, the 330's will not be used exclusively on domestic Australia.

777 right aircraft? I think undoubtably..

Wait and see what happens with the rebranding early next year I guess too as to what aircraft goes where....

AirborneSoon
11th Nov 2010, 05:48
The limiting factor with the 777 is twofold...

1. You don't need all those premium and biz class seats for holiday destinations in SE Asia, especially when you are heading up against Jetstar. So config is an issue.

2. There are only 5 of them. The current destinations & frequencies are enough to keep those 5 flying so they don't have any spare 777 to send anywhere else. The recent grounding of one of those aircraft recently showed just how limited they are with regards to service recovery.

Why buy more of these aircraft at this stage? Especially when the existing 5 are yet to turn a tidy profit. But I agree send the A330 offshore into those destinations especially as part of the eastcoast - PER pattern. Anyone who thinks the A330 will ultimately be domestic only is being short sighted. Why lease an long range version of it if you don't intend to use it's distance capabilities? :E

The A330 is the aircraft of choice for Asia-Pacific regional flying, right sized, right config, distance capability without overkill. :ok:

Voz1
11th Nov 2010, 09:47
Hey I curious, what's the difference between VB, PB and VA. Your all talking like it's a different set of airlines, exactly what management want..... Wake up, if you currently wear calf $h!t brown pants, and work in aviation in Australia, then your either AQUIS or Virgin Blue Holdings. Solidarity people! :ok:

SKYCAMEL
13th Nov 2010, 01:14
My prediction is Strategic will be contracted by VB to fly the International services out of Australia on behalf of V, using A330's.:ok:

bowing
14th Nov 2010, 02:24
VB should fold PB altogether and V OZ if not making any money and just concentrate on the domestic product

Cypher
14th Nov 2010, 03:07
VB should fold PB altogether and V OZ if not making any money and just concentrate on the domestic product

And risk being marginalized by the QANTAS / Jetstar juggernaut..
Hell, the Virgin Blue Group should just ground the entire fleet.. just think of how much money they'll save....

Seriously
14th Nov 2010, 11:58
V have to be making money on the LAX routes with the high load factors and freight that they're pulling out of there. They are here to stay, and there will be more aircraft. Aircraft 6 is coming in 2012:D. Expect more news in the new year :ok:

Going Boeing
15th Nov 2010, 01:29
V have to be making money on the LAX routes with the high load factors and freight that they're pulling out of there.

They are probably making a profit right now while the QF A380's are grounded and QF has to pay full fare for every passenger that they put onto V Oz flights. That would be way above the fares that V Oz charges pax normally as they have to discount heavily to fill the aircraft and create "Brand Awareness". Are they turning a profit throughout normal operations?

Red Jet
15th Nov 2010, 01:52
Are they turning a profit throughout normal operations?
The word from our management is that VA has been profitable for the last 4 consecutive months. Spin or not - at least that's what they say.

gobbledock
15th Nov 2010, 10:53
The word from our management is that VA has been profitable for the last 4 consecutive months. Spin or not - at least that's what they say.

That is quite likely true. Amazing coincidence perhaps ? No Swift, no Godfrey, and Borghetti now on the job ?? I think a coincidence NOT.

Virgin Musthave
18th Nov 2010, 05:34
I have seen the dollar figures. Not Good. Spin spin and more spin.
They are not doing well overall, and again the legacy of fools like Godfrey and his cronies lives on to haunt us. JB needs to hurry up wuth the re-branding and re-naming of this two-bob outfit. Merge the whole group into one and get rid of the deadwood that still lurk within the halls of 'funky HQ'. 'Big Jugs' needs to be punted, along with the 'Monaro Lover','Martin Scaley' and every senior other oxgen thief that pre-dates 2001 !

Thats when they will make money.