PDA

View Full Version : Speeding up the VISA/TSA Process

felixflyer
9th Nov 2010, 15:01
Hi

I would like if possible to go to the US and build some hours in a week or two. The problem is I do not have a VISA or anything. I dont have a US licence either so would need to get one on the back of my JAR-FCL PPL.

Is this possible at such short notice? Can I speed up the process by visiting CAA/Embassies etc. and using fax/email rather than relying on the post?

mcgoo
9th Nov 2010, 15:15
If you are only building hours you do not need a visa, if you don't have a piggyback certificate you will be struggling, you would need to do the forms and fax them ASAP, its not impossible, I have seen it done in 10 days but they quote up to 90 days so don't bank on it.

VFR Transit
9th Nov 2010, 15:15
You do not need to a visa to hour build or fly in the USA, you only need a visa if you intend to complete training while your in the USA.

If the purpose of the trip is for a hioliday and complete some flying as a holder of a pilot licence then you can enter under the Visa Waiver Programme (assuming you are one on the countries that are applicable to the vwp)

VFR

felixflyer
9th Nov 2010, 15:29
Thanks, I think it will be the licence that is the issue then. I wouldnt want to book everything unless I knew it would be o.k.

Is it possible to get an actual FAA licence rather than a piggyback one in a shorter time? Would I then require a VISA?

mcgoo
9th Nov 2010, 15:38
That would take longer as then you would require TSA approval as it's for an initial certificate.

The quickest way is to fax the forms and follow up with phone calls.

mcgoo
9th Nov 2010, 16:02
The FAA October 4th date shouldn't have a bearing on the situation as that will be the processing of the plastic certificate which is sent to the applicants home address, you will be issued a temporary airman's certificate immediately at your FSDO interview which is valid for 120 days.

felixflyer
9th Nov 2010, 16:48
O.K. Thanks guys.

Looks like Spain then!