PDA

View Full Version : Working in Belize?

WX Man
21st Aug 2000, 14:58
Don't know if you'd consider Belize to be Latin America, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

I'm a UK wannabe, and with all this JAR nonsense I am looking to leave Europe permanently. Does anyone know what the GA situation is like in Belize? What sort of immigration requirements would someone like me have to satisfy to find a job as a pilot?

Also, what licences do operators in Belize accept?

Thanks in advance!

broadreach
22nd Aug 2000, 18:17
There's a UK national whose handle is Sumo that hangs out in the chat room sometimes, flies based Belize. I did a search on the name in Rumours&News archive but came up with nothing. You might check out the Chat Room and ask if he's around.

WX Man
22nd Aug 2000, 23:38
Thank you for that info, I'll keep an eye open for him.

Panama Jack
7th Sep 2000, 03:38
You shouldn't have a problem with immigration-- basically you need to get a job offer first with one of the two companies in Belize. The conversion is based on writing the exams bases on the British Overseas Air Law exams, and the companies take care of all the rest. Pay? I heard it isn't great but that is just a rumour. Practically everything seems to be single engine now-- I hear Tropic Air got rid of their Twin Otters favoring the Caravan-- Maya Island Airways may still have Islanders. Belize is a little expensive considering it is a 3rd world, Latin American country.