PDA

View Full Version : VASP?

JBravo
18th Aug 2000, 17:48
Now that Latin American has his own section, it's time to fill it with Latin American stuff. As I'm living in Europe, but have strong connections with Brazil, I'm very interested to know how VASP is doing. How the hell do they manage to keep on strugling with all the financial difficulties they have. How many planes do they have at this time? Why doesn't Varig, or TAM just take over the remains of VASP, or is that way to expensive...

3holer
22nd Aug 2000, 05:20
Hi JBravo,

Nice to know that there are people interested in our turf, down here in the south. Unfortunately, I don't have good news about VASP. Since Mr. Canhedo (a kind of Frank Lorenzo from the tropics) bought it from the state of São Paulo, things went straight down hill. VASP was a robust Airline with a strong domestic presence, with about 35% of the market. Under Canhedo management the whole company assets were dilapidate, the employees suffered most with the bean counters asking for more and more concessions. Duty time limitations were exceeded regularly (under presssure), vacations went unpaid, seniority existed only for the management types, aiplanes were dispatched with major glitches, etc. Today all the MD-11 fleet are gone (8 airplanes), as it is the majority of the B737-300. Currently they are flying 3 older A300B4s and a bunch of B737-200. Some B737-300 (4, I guess) remain flying the shuttle service between Rio and São Paulo. About 150 pilots have been fired, without receiving any kind of compensation. The last news that I have is that IATA clearing house is not accepting any tickets from them whatsoever. The reason why the others airlines don't buy VASP it's because they don't want to buy any more debts. Only the routes are worthwhile, but under our law they have about 1 year to restart service or lose them.

Regards

3holer

[This message has been edited by 3holer (edited 23 August 2000).]

JBravo
24th Aug 2000, 17:51
Hey 3holer,

I thought that they had stopped with the air bridge between Sao Paulo and Santos Dumont. Since it's one of the most profitable routes I thought that was very silly. But now I understand they still fly it. But I see the future looks very grimm.
BTW, you fly for Varig? Why aren't you flying to Amsterdam anymore, do you know that?

------------------
Fokker ruled

3holer
25th Aug 2000, 03:53
Hi JBravo

Last year with the $real(brazilian currency) devaluation, Varig was obliged to cut costs and downsize itself in order to survive. We cut services on the less lucrative routes and AMS ZUE HGK ATL MCO JNB were the first to go.
The B747 fleet was sold out and our flagship became the MD-11. Additionally, the 50 most senior pilots were forced into retirement and about 70 copilots were furloughed. Things started to get better lately with the whole 70 copilots back in the company :). The sad history was seeing our most senior pilots leaving the company http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif...Any way I miss Amsterdam from where I had fond memories

AeroBoero
25th Aug 2000, 17:41
3holer ;

What exactly do you miss here in AMS? :rolleyes: :)

------------------
Reporte través de XAREO

JBravo
27th Aug 2000, 04:01
Duh.... ;) ;) ;)

3holer
29th Aug 2000, 04:32
Well, I could say I miss the people, the normal and the crazy ones. I miss the atmosphere and the easy going life style. The treatment that the employees of the hotel we used to stay gave us. The nice approaches into Schipool (including the crosswinds ;)The bicycle rides during the summer. And I almost forgot also the beautiful blondes :)

broadreach
30th Aug 2000, 05:56
3Holer,
You almost make me want to go back there for a holiday.

Back on the original VASP thread, about a month ago I saw three ex VP MD-11s cordoned off at Viracopos. Security guards, the lot. D'you know if they're the ones that were returned and made such a difference to the July balance of payments surplus?

Also, there hv been some comments on here about GOL, with pretty negative reactions. Regardless of the possible "bus driver" attitude, what do you think of the potential market for a no-frills operation a la Southwest etc. My own business is much closer to shipping than to airlines, and to cargo rather than to slf, and in that industry we are seeing a tremendous amount of interest in coastal transport due not only to the reduction in port costs but to the increased cost of operating trucks long distance. Would not the parallel hold true for pax operations?

Cheers, and hope you get some more AMS bike rides in. For me, one of Rio's saving graces is the ciclovia.

AeroBoero
30th Aug 2000, 12:29
I say that it should be tried. Up here at least the guys on EasyJet are paid decentley (I think around 37.000 GBP a year for F/O , not sure anymore , I know that for S/O is 29.000 GBP a year). I don't know just to which point the brazilian SLF is prepared to fly in a airline that if you want a soda you need to pay for it. I say that based on what happens with A(largest) x B(second one today). B still beats A inflight service (sorry 3holer , not being on favour of B at all but...) and thats why they are "popular". (despite the other obscure facts that shouldn't be mentioned here.......)
I'm just curious from where they would operate in SP? CGH is already full and to get more planes on the tarmac sound a little difficult these days. Also the target SLF wouldn't normally go to GRU (because is too far....well try to get into CGH on rush time).
Other thing is the people who are willing to set the airline up.....are they "picaretas" too? Do they have friends in Congress/Senate too? Which "milico" they will "hire" to have access to the DAC (soon to be ANAC)? All these are very good questions (maybe already knonw in Brazil , but I don't get much here anymore...AFA too far now :))

------------------
Reporte través de XAREO