PDA

View Full Version : Future of CEA?

PFMG
8th Nov 2010, 12:46
Seems to be a fair amount of speculation both in the press and on the Aarse forum as to the future of CEA. Has anyone got the inside track on this one?

Wrathmonk
8th Nov 2010, 12:54
The thread here (http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/430653-bye-bye-cea.html), buried deep in page 6 of PPRuNe may offer some help. But remember it's a rumour network....

I've also seen a fair amount of speculation on the future of the FAA, MRA4, Harrier and about 5000 personnel. Anyone got the inside track on these ....? :E

PFMG
8th Nov 2010, 14:38
The thread here (http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/430653-bye-bye-cea.html), buried deep in page 6 of PPRuNe may offer some help. But remember it's a rumour network....

I was aware of that thread but as the last post was the day before the actual SDSR announcement I was wondering if by going cold it meant good news or just a lack of any news.

Pontius Navigator
8th Nov 2010, 14:41
PFMG, I think that was a veiled suggestion to post on the previous thread which would have brought it to the front.

I'm Off!
8th Nov 2010, 14:58
Future of CEA? None...

Biggus
8th Nov 2010, 19:27
I disagree, I think CEA has a sure future...

CEA - About the CEA (http://www.cea.eu/)

Combustion Engineering Association (CEA) - Home (http://www.cea.org.uk/)

Chinese Economic Association UK - Research, Conferences, Publications - CEA(UK) (http://www.ceauk.org.uk/)

...there are more... :)

Jumping_Jack
9th Nov 2010, 15:15
Brief we got from a Gen was that they had been directed to find a saving of 15% against the CEA budget. Just put up the contibutions a bit....should cover that off...

Biggus
9th Nov 2010, 16:58
JJ

Nice try, but I'm not sure it will help.

When my child recently finished at a boarding school, CEA was only covering 53% of the fees. I wouldn't be surprised to find that, in most cases, CEA rarely covers more than 70% of the fees, let alone any extra costs incurred...

SirToppamHat
9th Nov 2010, 21:20
What is actually happening is that the system is becoming far far tighter in the way it is administered. Even those of us already in receipt are being squeezed, not only by the ridiculous process of applying for an Eligibility Certificate (every 3 years, on posting and on change of school) are now subjected to more detailed checks by the Manning People, where each application requires approval by a wg cdr. You have to be committed to mobility (and your JPA preferences must reflect this), you must show a history of mobility and you must also be expected to move within the next 4 (I think) years.

For those of us genuinely mobile (eg12 postings in 21 years !) it's a pain in the arse but doable if it means that some people who have been kicking the arse out of it are brought to book. That, I guess, is where they will look to make the savings.

The daft thing about the requirement continually to re-apply for certification is that no-one seems to know exactly what happens if you cease to be eligible. Does the child leave immediately? Complete time in the current school before returning to the State system? Complete the current phase of education?

The big problem is, of course, that the CEA as it is currently structured requires the manning people to predict those who will or will not move in the future, but it does not guarantee that you won't move. If this were a legal argument, based on the existing reasons for having CEA, I think the Services would lose almost every appeal to a decision to withdraw eligibility. Like many of our allowances, its application is illogical.

By the way, as I have recently discovered, CEAS no longer issue an actual Certificate of Eligibility except for new claims.

STH

Edited to add in support of Biggus's comments, School fees are currently increasing by about 6-8% per year against a smaller increase in the CEA itself. The gap, therefore, is always increasing.

Whenurhappy
10th Nov 2010, 08:58
Sir Toppam - thanks for the new advice on the Eligibility Certificates. I have had three issued in 12 months then my HR people have called for copies of them, as they couldn't find them!

One thing to watch out for: I recently attended a 6 month long course overseas - extended to 6 months + 1 day so that spouses could move into hirings for the duration. I chose not bring my family (because of another onward overseas posting and the dirsuption 6 months would cause for my daughter's schooling) therefore I became VOLSEP and not eligible for CEA for my son, back in UK. Proved to be an expensive course. An army colleague lost 7 (imi 7) lots of Senior Boarding CEA during the same period. But he was cavalwry, so didn't notice it...

Biggus - absolutely right on what CEA covers. Plus all the extras...I had an argument recently with someone who assumed that I paid only 10% of the term fees. Her argument was that I should have chosen a cheaper school. Where? in the Outer Hebrides? Vanuatu?

SirToppamHat
10th Nov 2010, 17:13
Whenurhappy

Check your PMs.

STH

Whenurhappy
11th Nov 2010, 07:45
Thanks - PM in return.

PFMG
11th Nov 2010, 10:43
I too am aware of the squeeze on mobility certificates. Problem is how does one predict a future move based on historical evidence?

Take for example a well established Nimrod mate who had spent 10 years or so at Kinloss and was expecting to see out his career in Morayshire. He could easily have lost his claim to CEA and be required to move his kids to a State school only to find MRA4 scrapped and an imminent move down south on the cards.

Depending on the age of his kids that could incur a swap from an 'A' level course to Scottish Highers then back to A levels.

Somehow that doesn't appear to offer Continuity of Education.

I suggest we are all highly mobile whilst this lot are in charge!