PDA

View Full Version : London to Seattle

MrWomble
7th Nov 2010, 19:17
I have to fly from London to Seattle end of May 2011 and despite it being a big city I'm surprised at how few options there are to fly there.

My preferred option at the moment seems to be direct with BA in WTPlus from LHR. While WTPlus is more expensive than standard economy I'm not sure I could tolerate economy long haul again.

Are there any more creative options which could reduce the cost?

Phileas Fogg
7th Nov 2010, 19:44
Try searching on Cheap Flights | Search & Compare Flight Offers - Fly.com (http://www.fly.com/uk/)

champair79
7th Nov 2010, 20:52
When one of my lecturers goes to Seattle to visit Boeing, he often travels on US Airways from Manchester with a change in Philadelphia.

Have you tried searching for their prices from LGW or LHR?

Phileas Fogg
7th Nov 2010, 20:58
If one searches from LON that covers all London airports.

davidjohnson6
7th Nov 2010, 21:13
The following airlines should be able to get you from London to Seattle in 1 stop
Air Canada
Air France
American Airlines
Continental / United
Delta
Icelandair
Lufthansa
US Airways

I have no idea about the details of layovers, or whether flight times are convenient for you, but I would guess that you should be able to find something suitable from the above combination

PAXboy
7th Nov 2010, 21:21
Depending on all the usual factors:

Cost / facilities
Price / Frequent Flyer Miles (earn or spend)
How many stops/changes can you take
Do you want/need to see any one/thing along the way
etc.Icelandair via Keflavik - no WTP/PE but consider their Biz.
Continental Biz is highly recommended, don't know prices.
Virgin Atlantic to Chicago and then a connect of your choice (but booked all in one, of course) as that gives you PE on the long sectors.

Hartington
7th Nov 2010, 21:55
Stick with BA. Despite being on the west coast the flight time is such that going via anywhere, with the possible exception of Vancouver or Calgary, adds so much time it's simply not worth it unless you make a benefit out of necessity and stop at your transfer point. And... because there aren't that many international flights to Seattle (even allowing for the Pacific) customs/immigration is a breeze (or it was this summer).

A couple of thoughts. International arrivals are processed at a satellite. Once you exit customs you are transported to the main terminal by a train (similar to Heathrow T5). There is a parallel baggage conveyor that they encourage you to use (and I did) but I don't believe you HAVE to. The other is look at WTP out and Club back.

IJM
8th Nov 2010, 04:22
Are there any more creative options which could reduce the cost?

If you are able to get a much better deal to/from Vancouver, and you aren't in too much of a hurry, then going via YVR then transferring to Seattle via Amtrak might be an option.

Apparently the train ride between Vancouver and Seattle is quite scenic in parts, unfortunately the one time I tried to book on the train it was fully booked and I had to go on one of the Amtrak bus services instead. Journey time about 3 hrs or so, including border crossing.

If you have to go by air all the way, then Horizon Air / Alaska Airlines and Air Canada serve YVR to SEA.

Have a great time, however you get there!

MrWomble
8th Nov 2010, 09:21
Thanks all, some interesting options which Expedia didn't throw at me.

I'm still surprised that Seattle has such a limited service but like you say, it means faster customs on arrival.

fincastle84
8th Nov 2010, 11:54
BA's service is great & SEA is one of the esiest US airports to enter & depart. The departure area is very spacious with lots of choices of bars & restaurants.

The WT+ service is fine, I used it several times when visiting Boeing.

Diplome
8th Nov 2010, 12:29
I've never flown BA WT and have never used their service to Seattle but depending upon their approach, and hoping for good weather, if you are arriving in daylight hours it might be worth it to get a window seat.

The views can be absolutely spectacular if you're arriving on a favorable path. The Cascade Mountains, Puget Sound, Lake Washington...they call it the "Emerald City" for a reason.

IJM
8th Nov 2010, 18:44
fincastle84 and Diplome - thanks for reminding me that indeed SEA is a good airport to use, and how great the view from the aircraft on approach to SEA can be - I enjoyed it a couple of years back in the fading light of a summer's evening.

I'll be flying to SEA again in a few weeks time, unfortunately both flights will be in darkness!