PDA

View Full Version : 777 Engine Start

mourgo
7th Nov 2010, 09:45
Just saw a vid of an Emirates 777-300ER pushing back and realised number 2 engine was started 1st.. Can anyone tell me whats the diff with starting either 1 or 2 first. Sorry not familiar with Boeing on familiar on the bus.

Old Smokey
7th Nov 2010, 10:26
There's no significant aircraft systems difference between starting Left or Right engine first. It's just a convention.

(On the RR Trent B777 aircraft both engines are started simultaneously, the APU can't quite come up to this task with the larger engines on the B777-300ER).

Regards,

Old Smokey

Janu
7th Nov 2010, 11:28
I'll be on one of their 'Triples' this Tuesday, quite looking forward to the sound of those two GE90's!!

ratarsedagain
7th Nov 2010, 11:44
It's not SOP at BA to start the trents simultaneously.
I guess to keep commonality with the ge90's

helen-damnation
7th Nov 2010, 11:49
Personally, I start the "outside" engine first. Should it start to "run up", there's a slim chance of catching it before it jacknifes the tug!

Probably get flamed but it's just a theory :cool:

grounded27
7th Nov 2010, 21:14
There's no significant aircraft systems difference between starting Left or Right engine first. It's just a convention.

Even though there is an acmp the #2 engine provides right hydraulic supply, it is conventional to start engines on most aircraft I know of in order of their importance to ground ops safety.

oz in dxb
8th Nov 2010, 04:12
With reference to the FCOM Supplementary Procedures for a manual engine start for GE, it is recommended to start the right engine first. No explanation is given however for a possible reason is to power the right hydraulic system which powers the primary brake system.

B747 classic the start sequence was no. 4 on the blocks and 123 on the push.
Maybe the same reason?

Oz

grounded27
8th Nov 2010, 04:53
4 is brakes, 1 is steering. Same logic I followed in my post. Reason why #4 has a ACMP with an optional for #1 ACMP in the classics, thus the start procedure to back it up as you probably know.

Believe the classic had a 1/4 transfer valve for this purpose.

British Grenadier
8th Nov 2010, 09:42
Personally, I start the "outside" engine first. Should it start to "run up", there's a slim chance of catching it before it jacknifes the tug!

Probably get flamed but it's just a theory http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/cool.gif

WHAT !!!!! :ugh::{:ugh::{:ugh:, that's a new one .....

Nightfire
13th Dec 2010, 09:44
On the -300, the usual way is to start the INBOARD engine first during pushback (i.e. if the plane is pushed back turning the tail to the right, start the right engine first).

This is not an obligation, but a recommendation in the FCTM. Both my present and my previous company, as well as one other company that I know of, expect it to be done in that way.