PDA

View Full Version : OK - What is the best plane for initial training?

AeroBoero
2nd Nov 2000, 04:46
Just to wind up here a bit ;

What is the best plane in your opinion to gain your PPL (and make your first step in your carreer)?

I have done mine in the infamous airplane that I adopted to be my nick here on PPRuNe. Despite everyone saying ^#@*&^! about the plane , in the end I think its worth the hassle...you survived such a plane , find any other aircraft a wonder to fly and still have tailwheel experience! I know in Brazil people still have the passion for the P-56 "Paulistinha" ( a model similar to the PA-18 , but with less HP). But tailwheel training , aside Brazil , is something really difficult to find around the world. And for the way things have been going , God knows how much the AB115 will hold on instruction.
Here in Holland they use a variety of planes...one that I will be getting my @ss in soon is the Grumman AG-5B "Tiger" , so let's see how it flyes....
In the US , it ranges from C-152 to whatever you can think of...

So..any comments?

------------------
Reporte través de XAREO

Constable Clipcock
2nd Nov 2000, 05:54
I started on the C140A (tailwheel!) back in January 1984. Did my student XC's plus night and instrument intro on the C172, PA-28-161 and C182RG, aerobatics on the Bellanca 7ECAA and 8KCAB, and several hours of glider dual on the Twin Lark IS28B2 by the time I took the FAA PPC-ASEL checkride 12 years later.

Tom the Tenor
2nd Nov 2000, 13:39
The best aeroplane for a new flyer's initial training is the one in which he/she can afford to take lessons. QED! Thank you, TTT.

------------------
What we want is a bit of Pop Music, none of this Beethoven!!

Contrails
8th Nov 2000, 01:09
In my opinion, a good sequence to get a license is:
Fly a glider before your flight training with airplanes.
Fly a C152 or a similar light airplane, in a good flying school (it´s more important than any aircraft model)
Than after PPL, fly some aerobatic plane, so you´ll be able to improve your flying skills and feelings. And go for your career!

Panama Jack
11th Nov 2000, 23:32
For the initial PPL, the best plane is the cheapest one you can get. Save the dollars for quantity of time. For the first job they probably won't care if you flew a C-150, C-140, or Grob. The guy with 500 hours is still more marketable than the guy with 350 hours IMHO.

Century
6th Dec 2000, 16:32
DeHavilland Chipmunk, DHC-1 will teach the best stick and rudder.
Remember the first impression is a lasting impression. Your future skill are decided in the first few hours of training.