PDA

View Full Version : can i train on a p2 visa?

pilot joyce
7th Nov 2010, 00:50
Hello all, this is my first post in any forum...ever. so i feel like i'll have to work on my forum etiquette. pprune has answered so many of my questions so it seems like the best place to ask the only one i can find no answer to. so here we go...

I am a british musician working in los angeles on a p2 visa. I really want to learn to fly and i am aware that it is cheaper to train in the US than in UK. I have set myself the goal of obtaining my ppl by mid next year, but have already hit my first barrier. do i need a F1 or an M1 visa to get my PPL?

can you prunes shed any light on the situation?! please say it isn't so! :sad:

thanks guys!

pilot joyce
7th Nov 2010, 19:21
wow... ive had the least views today. dammit!

MartinCh
7th Nov 2010, 23:05
This is very rare visa class/category, so I doubt you'd find people who'd have been in the same situation.

Just a rough idea, if you've got right to work (as opposed to transit/tourist/student/visiting journalist etc), probably yes. Probably, so please do check it with USCIS/ICE. I'm not aware of any such topic on PPRuNe past 2 years either.

411A
8th Nov 2010, 09:30
The short answer is...yes, training is OK on the visa you have, but....you will still need TSA clearance.
This should not be a particular problem so long as the flight school cooperates.
Good luck, and welcome to private flying.;)

pilot joyce
8th Nov 2010, 20:25
Thanks guys. you've put my mind at ease. i'll check and post my results back here when i know for sure.