PDA

View Full Version : Downloading videos (not youtube)

magpienja
6th Nov 2010, 20:51
Hi all, I want to record a video from the American Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) web site anybody know a way to do it,

I know there are free downloaded progs for coping You tube videos but I'm not sure if these will work with no You-tube videos....any ideas guys.

Nick.

Tarq57
6th Nov 2010, 22:32
I've just gone to This (http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=115492848001) video on their site (how to start an SE5a).

The video is played in the Adobe flash player. I assume the one you want to download does, too. You tube also plays in the flash player.

I use Download Helper (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006/), a Firefox add-on, and that indicates it is able to download the vid, so I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to use something similar, depending on your browser.

spannersatcx
7th Nov 2010, 02:48
try keepvid dot com

magpienja
7th Nov 2010, 20:44
Tarq57 and where you able to download the video you mention with that software.

Nick.

Tarq57
7th Nov 2010, 20:45
I didn't try. Hang on a minute...

Yes, no problem at all. Seems to be playing well, too.

magpienja
7th Nov 2010, 20:59
Many thanks I will see if I can get it to work.

Nick.

Tarq57
7th Nov 2010, 21:22
It's in mp4 format (the particular one I downloaded). Others may be in a different format. Typically a lot of flash movies are in .flv.
You may need a different-from-native-Windows player to play them.

vulcanised
7th Nov 2010, 21:37
VLC Media Player will handle that nicely (and pretty well anything else you throw at it).

reynoldsno1
14th Nov 2010, 20:57
I use a freeware applicatio called YouTube Downloader (does pretty much what it says on the box), which I think will download from other sites as well (you can just put in the appropriate URL). What is also good about this app is that it will also convert the files between different formats - and seemsm to do an excellent job.

magpienja
14th Nov 2010, 22:07
I have settled on the Mozilla add on Download helper....does all I need, its fine with all the sites I have tried to download from, thanks for your advice guys.

Nick.

Mike-Bracknell
14th Nov 2010, 22:42
I assume you've talked to them about the copyright issues associated with doing that?

Slasher
15th Nov 2010, 06:27
Yep Downloadhelper is good and works well. The resulting flv files can be converted to avi or mp4 etc using any free converter.

magpienja
15th Nov 2010, 15:04
Mmmmm never thought about that Mike what do you suggest???

Nick.

Mike-Bracknell
15th Nov 2010, 15:49
Mmmmm never thought about that Mike what do you suggest???

Nick.

I'd suggest contacting them and seeing if they're happy for you to take a copy of the videos - probably explaining why you want them and asking if they have copyright (and hence the right to let you or refuse you). That way they may even send you a copy or give you FTP access to them rather than you needing to use a util to extract it.