PDA

View Full Version : PFT Exhibition Heathrow

Danny boy
6th Nov 2010, 20:26
Hi All..

Any reports on the Professional Flight Training Exhibition at the Sofitel down at London Heathrow...

Be interested to have any feedback..

DB :ok:

flylogan
6th Nov 2010, 20:37
Hi,

I travelled over from Belfast to the expo today and was very impressed.
Great to see Balpa there in great presence. (Keeps a close eye on the FTO's!!)
Seminars were well presented and contained very useful information especialy the BA one. A lot of schoolboys will be flying a 747 in their dreams tonight!!

Could someone please post the names of all the speakers today, i would like to keep a record.

FlyLogan

flylogan
6th Nov 2010, 20:41
For all those not at the expo today Balpa have produced a fantastic booklet for wannabes full of information (the real information) regarding the industry and the route into it. The ups and the downs!!

It is called:

Becoming a Pilot
The Inside Track

I would recommend it to any wannabe!

FlyLogan

hollingworthp
6th Nov 2010, 21:22
Balpa seem to be more than a little confused.

On their site (http://www.balpa.org/The-Piloting-Profession/How-To-Become-A-Pilot.aspx) they state this: "Despite what the schools will often tell you, there is not a shortage of pilots in the industry, nor are there signs of one occurring soon."

And yet this (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11691204) was released 2 days ago: "The UK could face a future shortage of airline pilots because of the soaring cost of training, a union has warned. The British Airline Pilots Association (Balpa) says the number of recruits to flight colleges is falling."

You need a large pinch of salt when looking at what the FTOs have to say (at least their message never changes) - but now looks like you need a fistful when regarding the output of the nigels at British Airways Line Pilots Association.

With the recent tax changes etc and continued movement to the sandpit, they look a little concerned about a drop in subs meaning the cosseted lives of the officials may be at risk - so lets drop a u-turn and convince even more lambs to the potential bankruptcy courts.

BoeingDreamer
7th Nov 2010, 01:43
I did not see all the seminars, but... probably enough to at least report what was said.

BA said they was going to recruit 80 pilots in 2011. Mostly DEP, with minimum 500 hours on type, when they open for applicants they had nearly 1000 applicants, and they closed it after approx. 1 - 2 weeks.

With this information, somebody still managed to ask if BA would be sponsoring pilots soon, the lecturer then repeated the above, 1000 apps. for 80 jobs, all with TR and min. 500 hours on type, so not really a major shortage.

Still there was a certain positive spin, but I would not go out mortgaging my house, or someone else house based on what was told at the expo.

I don't think there will be an immediate demand for low hour novice pilots, only time will tell. An expo for FTO's will always be biased, their agenda is to make money, they need new customers to cover their expenses and investment cost/salaries etc., so could not really expect anything else.

Trend, probably not be worse then it has been, but probably not get to much better then next 6 - 12 months either! :ugh:

WILCO.XMG
7th Nov 2010, 21:52
it was as i expected.

the integrated schools pushed you to go integrate
the modular schools pushed you to go modular

me, im still on the fence. and i wont be out gambling with my family's future on a dream. however im sure some daft people will.