PDA

View Full Version : Where to go after high school to become a Pilot

Binzo94
6th Nov 2010, 19:36
Hello
I'm in year 11 at High School. My ambition is to become a pilot, except I need some guidance as to were to go when I leave in July. Stuff like what A levels to take. Where to go after collage.... The amount of money needed... What airlines to go to for employment etc etc....
A really good detailed answer would be really appreciated.
Thanks Alot
Ally

paco
6th Nov 2010, 20:12
I would certainly recommend physics (or whatever they call it these days - double science?), plus one of the common languages (as well as English!). Geography I suppose......

As for the rest - I leave it to the panel! :)

Good luck!

Phil

heloguy412
7th Nov 2010, 02:01
I would head to Canada to one of the flying colleges there. Moncton Flight College comes to mind as they are in my locale. The prices are reasonable if not a whole lot cheaper and the trg recieved is equivalent to what you will get in "Jolly Old".

Cheers

guitarboy
10th Nov 2010, 05:02
@Binzo94 - It would be smarter talking to some people already in aviation directly. Assess the situation in Your Country for Jobs etc first. Aviation is an expensive hobby and the only thing that fuels it till you get your job is your $$$.

As far as i know there is a situation in UK where arnd 1500 pilots are sitting at home with JAA CPL. (correct me if im wrong)

thus maybe getting a degree first would be a better option maybe as with that you would have a career already so if aviation dsnt work out atleast u have your degree to fall back on and work to pay what uv spent on aviation.. unless you go onto become a CFI work upto around 1500 hours and then think of applying for work. (Its better to be safe than sorry)

This may take up arnd 2-3 years. So take a sane decision before putting all your money into Aviation.

My advice : get a Degree first. Seriously! Im telling you out of experience.
Cheers.

Groundloop
10th Nov 2010, 11:58
Only do Maths and/or Physics at A-level if you enjoy the subject! You don't need these subjects at A-level to be a pilot.

Do A-levels in subjects you are good at/enjoy. That is the best way to guarantee your highest results.

Whirlygig
10th Nov 2010, 13:54
If someone doesn't enjoy Maths and/or Physics, are they going to enjoy ATPL studies? I suspect not. Are they going to be any good at ATPL studies? Unlikely.

Cheers

Whirls

laakdown
10th Nov 2010, 17:46
I didnt enjoy maths and physics at all but find the ATPLs more boring than difficult.
Only got Bs in maths and physics GCSE but got 97% average in ATPLS.

ATPLs are just about working hard, nothing else really.

If youve got the aptitude and intelligence to get half decent grades in a-levels you can get throught he ATPLs

Groundloop
11th Nov 2010, 09:30
If someone doesn't enjoy Maths and/or Physics, are they going to enjoy ATPL studies? I suspect not. Are they going to be any good at ATPL studies? Unlikely.

Afraid I can't agree with you there. You are ignoring factors such as motivation. Doing Maths and Physics at school where the teaching does not appear to have any relevance can be very dispiriting.

However if you have an overwhelming desire to be a pilot then ATPL groundschool should be "interesting" plus you should have a definite motivation to do well.

I think laakdown illustrates this point well.

fabbe92
11th Nov 2010, 11:29
What are half-desent grades? I scored the highest marks in social subjects etc but I only passed maths and physics. No problems passing but not more than that. I allso did my PPL during upper secondary. I have the motivation and the discipline to study hard, will that work for me?

Whirlygig
11th Nov 2010, 14:12
Motivation does not equate to enjoyment.

If you didn't like a subject at school and therefore didn't do well at it, I would suspect that ATPL subject would be harder than they would to someone who, like me, did enjoy Maths and Physics, got a degree in each and found a lot of the groundschool straightforward. However, the subjects which I didn't do well in, like Ops, were because I had no interest in it (it's mostly irrelevant for rotary).

I'm talking about intrinsic understanding rather than purely memorising the Bristol question bank. And don't deny it; we've all done it.

Cheers

Whirls

stevop21
11th Nov 2010, 15:07
Hi There,

I am one year ahead of you in the education system. So first year of A-Level. I would also like to be a pilot. I think a backup option is essential. So you must think about that. Say for example if you fail your medical for whatever reason.
I am taking Maths, Physics, Geography and Spanish at A Level. You should take Maths and Physics and the other 2 are up to you really. Whatever you enjoy.

Regarding the training. I would look at the two sponsors. Whilst the competition is incredibly intense, whats the worst that can happen if you submit an application.
Cathay and Etihad offer training schemes fully endorsed. I would look on the airlines websites. Plently of info on both schemes is available here on pprune.

I would also think going abroad is a good option. As far as I can see the only way to get into the industry here is to fork out a dirty great sum to the airline in orange or their irish competitor. This doesn't even guarantee that you are in. I've heard stories here on pprune of people being on a temp contract and sent packing after 6 months.

You must also remeber all the flight schools that you see advertising like FTE, PTC etc.. are ultimatly a BUSINESS and have a very good team of persuasive salesmen, so be careful.

Perhaps wash planes at the local airfield in exchange for some hours. Mingle with people at the airfield. (Contacts in aviation go very far). Whenever you are on a flight ask if you can visit the flightdeck (I have never been turned away) They offer very friendly, impartial advice which is very helpful.

Good luck!