PDA

View Full Version : ATPL acceptance in Chile and Lan Chile Applications

Condorito
25th Oct 2000, 13:07
Hey guys. . I need your help. .
I have two questions. .

I read a few days back a thread that mentioned Lan Chile pretty much accepted the FAA ATPL straight off the shelf. . Did I imagine this? Hopefully not. .
I'm currently thinking of doing the ATPL theory course and was wondering how would I go about doing this FAA ATPL from here (Australia). Can you do this long distance. . is there a web site? Any contacts. .

I've searched the net for on-line applications to fly with Lan Chile. .I've just about given up and assume there is no such thing. .I will be writing to them soon. .As for the actual name to address my plea, I do not know, for this is not on the Lan web site either. . Anyone have any advice?

PS I think that was more than two. . .

FAAJAA
27th Oct 2000, 14:16
There is no FAA "theory" course. If you have the time requirements (23 years of age, good moral charachter, 1500 TT, 500 X-C greater than 50NM, 75 IFR, 100 Night, 250 PIC), all you need to do is get the Gleim book on the ATP written that has ALL the questions and answers, swot up it, then go to the US. Find a flight school with some kind of twin, and get an instructor to sign you off to take the written. (100 questions, 2.5 hours allowed) Then go practise. The flight test includes lots of aircraft-specific systems questions on the oral, and on the flight Steep Turns, Approaches to Stalls, and 4 approaches, 2 ILS, 2 nonprecision. 1 of each will be single engine. You do NOT need an instructor recommendation. Airline Transport professionals has a quick and dirty ATP program in PHX for around 2K US. Website is www.allatps.com...if (http://www.allatps.com...if) you have any questions email me at [email protected]
P.S. They don't have "licenses" in the US, only "certificates". Calling an ATP an "ATPL" is a good way to piss an examiner off..:-)

FAAJAA
27th Oct 2000, 14:26
Condorito, just checked the website and called Chile. The ATP written and flight test at atps iss 1195 US. As regards to LanChile...the best thing to do is go to Chile, convert your license, then go knock on doors. I assume you speak Spanish, if you dont, forget it. They are happy to hire foreign pilots, but your spanish must be spoken like a native for them to consider you.
Good luck Mate!!!!

Condorito
30th Oct 2000, 02:03
Thanx FAAJAA,
You are a wealth of information. .
Sorry for the lame questions, but hey, that's how you learn. .
Looks like I'll be heading over to the US then...As for Lan, I would not have any language problems.. .however I have heard that it's more of a case of who you know down there. I guess I will have to go and see myself.
I may make future use of the email address you sent me so thanx again. .

Warhawk
31st Oct 2000, 02:55
Dear Condorito,

If you're in Oz and wanting to do the FAA ATP written there is a very good option you might want to consider.

The ATP written (both part 135 & 121) can be sat on computer, you get an almost instant result.

There are FAA approved computer test centres at many places outside the USA, Hawaii and I believe Singapore amongst many others. These are of course alot closer to home. They are listed on the FAA website and in some US flying magazine ads.

As far as preparation goes you can buy an excellent course on CD called "ASA ATP test prep". It replicates the FAA computer test and is windows driven with revision sections, etc (updated yearly) and the FAA test book is included. Costs about $ 100 AUD and can be bought on the net.

Its what I used and it was great, just do it at home on your PC before you go and show up at a computer testing centre. The ATP school mentioned in other replies is also good and I believe they have a 2 day ATP prep course for $ 2-300 US, which is basically revision, etc and includes the test. Has the advantage of an attendant instructor if you have any queries.

Good luck (PS - its easier than the Oz, NZ or UK ATP theory by miles, you'll cruz it).

Stuka
20th Nov 2000, 03:49
Dear condorito:
If you want to get into LanChile all you have to do is convalidate your licence to the chilean one, no need to get the FAA licence. Entry requirements vary according to need. But growth has been steady for the last few years. Best bet is to go get your Chilean licence an apply. They have taken two hundred hour pilots and trained them themselves in the last couple of years. And now LanChile Cargo is expanding rapidly. Be advised that if you want to get rich better go elsewhere. GodSpeed Condorito!

Condorito
20th Nov 2000, 07:48
Stuka,
You've breathed new life into me! Heading down there is a definite some time this year. As for the money thing. . anything is better than working in IT.
Do you have a first point of contact once I get there? I would assume the Aviation Authorities would be my best bet. If you know otherwise please let me know. Last time I was there I got the run around with a lot of irrelevant questions. I am a dual Oz and Chilean citizen by the way. .

Stuka
21st Nov 2000, 01:22
Condorito:
Your first order of bussiness is to convert your licence, after that go to LanChile's training department or Operations and leave your resume, LanChile cargo is run by Ladeco's ops department which is LanChile's subsidiary and they´'ll also take your resume,nationality is no object, they hired about 20 ex- Viasa pilots a while ago, and quite a few 200 hr. pilots in the last few years. Good luck

Condorito
21st Nov 2000, 04:34
Stuka,
I see from your details you are an airline pilot working in Santiago. Are you a Chilean citizen or an expat doing a stint in Latin America? What are the conditions like over there for pilots? Does the industry forecast the same boom forecasted for the Asia Pacific region?
Also, at the risk of sounding foolish,convalidating the licence or converting it. . you make it sound like it's just paper work that is required. Aren't there changeover exams and familiarisation exams to prove you at least understand the Air Law over there. Also I would be converting an Australian licence. .I wonder how that would be looked at?

Stuka
21st Nov 2000, 08:05
Condorito:
If I was an expat I would be flying for QF or LH... No I'm local, but I've done my share of flying overseas,actually I could use some advice myself regarding expat jobs overseas for high time widebody captains. Regarding your question you'll have to spend a little money and time to convert your licence, but nothing too extravagant,but you have to do a couple of hours,and the written.Conditions are O.K. but nothing like flying for a major outfit in Europe, the states or Oz. I'd say money is half what you would make in Oz in the same position, and benefits are third worldish, but overall you are O.k. for the country standard. Nothing wrong with an australian licence, in fact there's someone with your same background that just upgraded to Captain. Roughly six years with the company.
Keep in touch.

Low_and_Slow
21st Nov 2000, 22:51
For the ATP written, go to www.faatest.com (http://www.faatest.com) and download their software. If you like it, it's $20 to register and has all the faa questions and answers for the ATP exam. You can take the exam at a number of [international] exam chains such as sylvan prometric, etc and I'd be suprised if there was not a place to take the written where you are. Get a medical--there are a number faa approved physicians around the world. A list can be found at www.faa.gov. (http://www.faa.gov.)

Once you have these, come to the states for the checkride itself.

Condorito
22nd Nov 2000, 03:30
Stuka,
Thnx again for all your help. .If your looking for work as a wide body captain, then there probably isn't very much I could tell you that you probably don't already know. What I can tell you is that QF and Ansett are actively hiring at the moment. CX and SG is also looking at Oz pilots to boost up their pilot numbers. . what I'm not sure of though is how QF and Ansett look at non-nationals.
Kendall and Impulse (2 new regionals operating in Oz) are also hiring. So yes, there has been a positive bump in the hiring scene these last couple of months.
I'll let you know how things go. . If you have any questions concerning work for you around here, just let me know and I 'll do the research for you. . Thnx again

Low'n'Slow
Thanx for the web site updates, that Faatest website doesn't look too bad at all. .

Cheers

Stuka
22nd Nov 2000, 18:31
Thanks Condorito:
Actually I'm not looking for something in Oz, since I know that they don't hire foreigners, at least in the majors. I think Chile is the only country were they'll hire you even if you're coming from Mars, that way they keep wages low. I'm more into maybe far east or middle east direct entry, but I have to recognize that I won't take something that doesn't improve on what I already have. Should you need more Info on getting into Lan/Ladeco just let me know

Condorito
23rd Nov 2000, 03:29
Stuka. . Thnx mate. .I'll take you up on your offer when it gets closer to crunch time. .

Chau

Panama Jack
25th Nov 2000, 01:16
Hola Stuka,

Would you mind contacting me by e-mail?

[email protected]

Valdiviano
26th Nov 2000, 02:32
condorito
as an ex chilean and ex ansett pilot if you need a bit of advise just ask.
i have been out of it since the pilots dispute in 89, but may be of some help if you need to know about the system works.

stuka
you must be with lan chile, did you know michael crew?

i rather be flying.....................

Condorito
27th Nov 2000, 05:15
Valdiviano. . .
If you have the info I'd be glad to hear from you. I have just sent away for info from a relative I have in Santiago. She has nothing to do with aviation but lives near La Direccion Aeronautica Civil. I figured that would be the first place to get information. I'm planning on heading over there mid-late next year to see what happens. Before I go though, I think it wise to go prepared in order to reduce the 'stuffing' about time once I'm there. So yes, if you have the details as to how to go about it. . Or any advice for that matter I'd be glad to hear from you. .

My email by the way is [email protected]

PS You've obviously seen the 89 dispute thread under the Dunnanda banner. How are things for you now. .are you still flying?

Stuka
28th Nov 2000, 06:46
Valdiviano:
Good to know that there's some fellow countrymen around. I've heard about Michael Crew but he must have left about 15 years ago, I also know that he was an english teacher at my school but not in my time.
Panama Jack...did you get my E-mail?

Valdiviano
2nd Dec 2000, 13:59
stuka, you must be quite a few years younger than me. who do you fly for and what type?
i left chile in 71, worked my ass out to pay for my flying training, went thru general aviation and at 29 made it into ansett airlines, flew the electra l188 f27 and f28
with my seniority i could have gone to the 727, 737 and 767 but in those days i chose lifestyle rather than equipment. in 1989 during the pilots dispute i resigned with everybody and chose not to go back as a scab, bought a busines and the rest is history. i rather by flying any day.
condorito i was not clear with my writing, i never flew in chile.
if you need info re 10 years ago in the airline system you are welcome. my email is [email protected].
who do you fly with in oz?
see you
stuka with that handle are you got german relatives?
on my mother`s side they are germans
i grew up in the south of chile, my old man has got a bit of land in llifen on the shore of lago ranco
bye for now

Contrails
6th Dec 2000, 02:11
Hey guys...do you know if there are Brazilian pilots working in Chile or Australia?
Thanks.

Contrails
6th Dec 2000, 15:46
Hey guys...Do you know if there are Brazilian pilots working in Chile or Australia?

Condorito
7th Dec 2000, 07:09
Hey Contrails,
Don't know of any Brazilians working in Oz.
I've never met any at the many Flying schools I've been to, there could be some in the Airlines though, but they would have to be Oz nationals. .

Contrails
7th Dec 2000, 16:02
Thanks Condorito, and sorry for my double message.

Stuka
12th Dec 2000, 08:17
Contrails:
No brazilians that I know of, plenty of venezuelans, uruguayans, peruvians etc.

sudacainfrance
16th Dec 2000, 17:16
Hey Stuka: if you want to come to Europe you might wanna try Cargolux (744F)
If you hold enough experience they'll get you right into the left. It would be nice to have some more southamericans in the company.
Currently I think we are only two.
Are there any Argentinos working in Europe (france, CH, etc?)

Stuka
19th Dec 2000, 08:38
Hey Sudaca:
Check your E-MAIL, and let me know what you think. Keep in touch.