PDA

View Full Version : Moorabbin Flying Services vs Lilydale Flying School?

ashcollins86
6th Nov 2010, 00:56
Hi guys,

I am new to all this and just signed up for the TIF at MFS, which I am doing next week. I have been doing a lot of research, and whilst my closest airport is Essendon, I have heard many negative such as landing fees, wait times on the ground etc etc.

I had almost decided on MFS after reading many reviews and comments on this website, however it is a one hour drive from my house. The other flying school I am considering is Lilydale Flying School - which is also approximately one hour from my house in the other direction.

I was wondering if anyone with experience at either or both could help me with some pros and cons of the two, and possibly recommend which would be better for me to start out at? I am planning on getting my PPL over the next year or two as I can afford it, and then possibly CPL from there.

Any feedback or thoughts would be much appreciated.

Old Akro
6th Nov 2010, 01:23
The most important thing is how you get on with the instructor. the best flight school in the world is useless if the way you learn and the way the instructor teaches don't fit well together. I'd do a TIF with each school and see who you like best.

Flying schools are a tough business. I don't believe any of the bad ones have survived. Its about who you like.

There is a small debate to be had about learning in controlled airspace (moorabbin & essendon) vs a shorter grass strip in uncontrolled airspace. The answer depends a little on what you intend to do with your licence (workor pleasure). To be a complete pilot you must be fluent with both. But the order in which you tackle the two elements has a lot to do with personal preference.

The most important thing is to start.

404 Titan
6th Nov 2010, 01:54
FFS not another flying school thread. Do you really want to be banned down to you ISP level?:=

Cutter796
6th Nov 2010, 04:32
Ash , go carefully my friend, that TIF is like the first shot of heroin!
If you have researched then you should have alarm bells ringing at how the industry as a whole is a little sick at the moment. Good luck with it all, the picture isn't as glossy as the posters in the flying school.

ReverseFlight
6th Nov 2010, 14:43
I used to drive an hour to my flight school too, and that time doubled during the rush hour.

Instructors are human beings and they do vary in terms of temperament, irrespective of the size or quality of the school.

One of the important things to consider is the age and instrumentation of its aircraft. If you've done your research properly, you'll know which one to go for. :ok:

ashcollins86
7th Nov 2010, 01:13
Thanks for the advice guys...I have booked in a trial flight at Lilydale now as well, so I will compare both...I think the main thing attracting me to Lilydale is that it is a little bit cheaper and from all accounts I have heard it is good to go to a smaller school with a more personal touch...