PDA

View Full Version : Airbus to Boeing headset adapter

bluebob21
5th Nov 2010, 21:12
I am just about to start flying the 737-800, and have been given Sennhieser HMEC 25 CAP ANR headset. It has an Airbus connector and I have found an Airbus to GA adaptor from Headset Services Ltd. What I would like to know, and sales at HS ltd. are not sure, is will the Boeing cockpit panel, power the ANR through the mic tip, and pin 5 of the existing connector on the headset? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.:ok:

jeffmichru
2nd Feb 2012, 00:48
Hi there , saw your web recently. And I have the same problem,would like to know have you found the "airbus to boeing " adaptor already? Could you please let me know where can I get it .
Many thanks!!

My email: [email protected]

RTO
2nd Feb 2012, 14:38
Have you researched if the B738 already has the "airbus" connector on the FD? AFAIK all new 737's have this plug type as standard.

Notso Fantastic
2nd Feb 2012, 17:35
I was using a Telex headset with an Airbus plug with one of these Y-connectors leading to the usual 2 leads for Boeing type plugs on both 737-300 and-700. Worked well with no power issues.

Firestorm
3rd Feb 2012, 07:12
Get in touch with Headset Services Limited at Shoreham, a google search will get you there. They have all sorts of adapters, and a very good mail order service over the phone. As a rule Boeings don't have a power supply for headsets (although I have only been flying the classic 737 rather than the NG), but I am sure that HSL can guide you to the right adapter. The adapters aren't cheap, but we all know the value of a noise cancelling headset!

Agaricus bisporus
3rd Feb 2012, 09:57
My experience on several different occasions is that adaptors, adding as they do extra plugs and contacts are more trouble than they're worth. Send the thing away and get the correct plug fitted to the lead, you're on type for years after all. Best do it properly.
I've never heard of an ANR being powered without it's own batteries on Boeing or Airbus. Is this possible?

Transair Pilot Shop
3rd Feb 2012, 11:22
As far as I am aware, all commercially availably XLR5 (Airbus) to Twin GA Adaptors leave pin 5 of the XLR disconnected as there nis nowhere to wire it to on the twin GA side of things.

I have checked the specs for the current HMEC 26 and Sennheiser leave the mic plug tip disconnected. This is likely to be the same on the 25.

Also bear in mind that some headsets with built in PTT's work by shorting out the tip of the mic plug to ground so there could be a conflict of interest between the headset and power bus? :eek:

Some headsets such as the Telex 850 are powered from the mic bias voltage and these would therefore be powered through a standard Airbus to GA adaptor but not the Sennheisers.

The only way to get a panel powered Sennheiser looks to be to buy one that was manufactured with an XLR5 from the start. Cutting off the twin plugs and fitting an XLR may not work as I doubt that the wiring would be present to hook up to Pin 5 for the power.

Andy R
www.transair.co.uk

GarageYears
3rd Feb 2012, 13:04
I've never heard of an ANR being powered without it's own batteries on Boeing or Airbus. Is this possible?

I believe you are correct in a general sense - both Boeing and Airbus aircraft provide power down the microphone lines for the microphone itself - I believe this is 18V DC. This has been standard for, well basically forever.

But this is not the same power needed for the ANR feature - I am most familiar with the Bose Aviation X, which includes wiring details to allow additional power for the ANR circuit and involves a different headset connector and wiring behind the bulkhead connector to source the extra power.

It *may* be possible that some headset manufacturers have figured out a way to use the mic power voltage to power the ANR, but I have not seen this personally.

The Boeing 738 uses what I call the conventional twin plug GA arrangement of two jacks for the headset, while Airbus uses a 4-pin XLR. Adaptors are available and simply connect the pins from the 4-pin XLR to the two connectors of the GA arrangement, so any voltages applied to the mic line are passed directly. However, as with most things in life, any time something is more complicated than it needs to be, provides a point of failure - having the headset re-wired should be relatively cheap and take no more than 30 minutes or so.

Regards, GY

777AV8R
3rd Feb 2012, 14:09
Yes, the bus is powered so you may use ANR headsets.

I've used this excellent company for years, for my headset/equipment requirements:

Headset Adapters - Headset Adapters - Communication - Marv Golden Pilot Supplies (http://www.marvgolden.com/communication/headset-adapters/headset-adapters/)

Happy flying.

RTO
4th Feb 2012, 08:29
The Boeing 738 uses what I call the conventional twin plug GA arrangement
If you read my earlier post that is a fact in older 738's, The newer ones powers the ANR perfectly well trough the "airbus" plug.

STBYRUD
4th Feb 2012, 09:31
That has nothing to do with new versus old aircraft, all depends on what the initial customer ordered. What I know is that the Telex ANRs work fine powered through the twin plug arrangement on the mic bias.
Anyhow, you are talking about the CAP - that means there is no battery box and the thing needs pin 5 to be wired and hot for NoiseGard. The KAP on the other hand would use the mic bias and a common ground for power (which should work on most twin plug AC), the CAP will remain without active NC if you connect it to anything other than a fully wired XLR-5.

Notso Fantastic
4th Feb 2012, 16:47
Well all I can say once again is I can use a Telex 850 ANR on B737-300 and -700. The headset lead has a single large Airbus-type plug, whic I plug into a Y-adapter that has the standard 2 Boeing plugs that go into 2 sockets on the FD. Not a battery in sight, ANR works fine.

STBYRUD
4th Feb 2012, 18:00
Because it takes the power from the microphone leads - like the Sennheiser K model. The C variant wants the fifth pin on the XLR.