PDA

View Full Version : what is OE instructor in airlines in USA?

eshan88
5th Nov 2010, 10:59
Can some gentlemen or gentleladies help on this?
Is it same as a pilot examiner who also instructs?What is the process to become one?
I believe flying training is fairly less expansive nowadays in Ameraca.
Thanks

MarkerInbound
5th Nov 2010, 13:34
I think the term you're looking for is "Line Check Airman." PICs will have a proficiency check at least yearly which, for most aircraft types, is now done in a sim. There are set tasks that have to be covered. There will be a start malfunction, you'll taxi out, a normal takeoff, area departure, steep turns, stalls, two ILS approaches and 2 non-precision approachs. An engine will quit sometime during the approaches.

The PIC will also have to have a line check where he is observed doing normal flying to see that he's using the company procedures. The Line Check is given by a, what else, Line Check Airman. The airline will submit the name of a pilot they want to be a LCA and the FAA will watch him perform a line check. If all goes well, the FAA will issue a letter stating the pilot can give line checks in a particular type aircraft for a particular airline.

eshan88
5th Nov 2010, 15:24
Thank you MarkerInbound.That is very nice of you.
I read somewhere that OE stands for Operations Experience which I thought was for training new pilots to achieve experience!
In this case ,does line check airman teaches(instructs) also?Enroute and/or in full flight simulator?

varigflier
5th Nov 2010, 16:48
I think there is an "i" missing there. IOE=Initial Operating Experience.:ok:

MarkerInbound
5th Nov 2010, 19:20
Sorry, got tied up there and didn't finish.

The other duty of a Line Check Airman is OE. When a pilot is hired at a major airline in the States, they will get a week of class in "Basic Indoc." It covers how the company operates, an afternoon of HazMat, De-icing, regulations, etc. Then there will be 3 weeks talking about the airplane they are going to be flying. Then there is an oral test over the plane they will be flying. Normally one of the longer two hour periods in your life. Then you move off to the sim for a couple weeks. Then there is a checkride. After that there may be more training for CAT II/III approaches or Class II Nav. Finally, after a couple months in the schoolhouse, they'll see a real plane. And it will be with people getting onboard or cargo being loaded.

The LCA watches over the new pilot during OE, normally 25 hours but it depends on the type of plane and if they've never flown for the airline before, or are moving from one type airplane to another or upgrading from the right seat to Captain. They were officially quailified when they passed their checkride. But really, when do you go out and stall a passenger jet or do steep turns? When do you shoot four approaches, lose a couple engines, miss and have a flight control malfunction, all in a couple hours? The sim training can turn out to be negative training because it is time compressed. Nice, relaxed briefings go out the window and become "109.5, 045 inbound, start at 1500 down to 213, same as we did a couple minutes ago." The LCA helps the new pilot apply the skills they learned in the schoolhouse to the real world. They are chosen because they know the company standards and SOPs, usually have some instructional background and it helps if they are very, very patient.

Varigflier, while most of us still say IOE for that time a new pilot has a babysitter, the current term is just OE. Just like the FAA is going to the term "Check Pilot" and not "Check Airman."

atpcliff
5th Nov 2010, 23:52
Hi!

Usually, in the US it is called IOE, and overseas it is often called OE.

At my current US airline, however, it IS called OE.

I never heard of "OE" until I went overeas, to a CAA country.

cliff
LGG

MarkerInbound
6th Nov 2010, 01:36
Cliff,

Don't know if it is more ICAOization of the FAA but the FAA now calls it OE. Might be that you get a babysitter after Upgrade or Transition training too. Or if you have an AQP (which the FAA is pushing), there is LOE which looks a lot like IOE. Who knows. At the job prior to my present job (which is the same as your present job) we changed terminology 3 or 4 years ago.

eshan88
6th Nov 2010, 02:07
Terminologies may be changed but job specs remain!
Cheers