PDA

View Full Version : REMEMBRANCE DAY 2011

PPRuNe Pop
4th Nov 2010, 21:30
As you know I usually resurrect the same thread each year at about this time so that we can, if we wish, remember in our own way those that have fallen in the service of their country.

There have been many more this year and the town of Royal Wootten Bassett once again did great honour to those coming home for the last time to their home and loved ones. The men and women of our armed forces daily face their tasks in theatre with acts of courage. We know from media coverage just what that means.

I am sure many here will want to add their feelings so please do so.

"AT THE GOING DOWN OF THE SUN, AND IN THE MORNING WE WILL REMEMBER THEM."

Shack37
4th Nov 2010, 21:39
Once again, thank you lads and lasses of our Armed Forces, past present and future.
Thank you Wootten Bassett for your unfailing respect and dignity.

They shall not grow old.

gunbus
4th Nov 2010, 21:42
Thank you PPruNpop never ever should they be forgotten

Lancelot37
4th Nov 2010, 22:10
In appreciation, I'd suggest that it become Royal Wootten Bassett in recognition of the way in which the towns people turn out to honour those who have given their lives on our behalf.

OmegaV6
4th Nov 2010, 22:24
As a citizen of Wootton Bassett, an ex-member of Lyneham, and a regular attendee at repatriations may I make the following comments.

1. Most Wootton Bassett residents are TOTALLY against any "royal" tag or similar.

2. Most Wootton Bassett residents no longer attend the "High Street TV Spectacular" but pay their respects quietly, and with dignity, further down the road, away from the furore

3. Most Wootton Bassett residents do this because they care, not because they want to be on TV or to recieve any reward.

When the honouring of the repatriations started the Hearse would slow down as it passed, we then had the man walking in front, now we have the hearse stopping for flowers. The families - for whom I have the utmost compassion - used to have a quiet, peaceful, meaningful little service at Lyneham. They are now crammed into cars and rushed to "pre-saved" positions.... just so the "press" can have their stupid pictures.

This was, and is supposed to be, a respectful "thankyou" to each and every one who has given the ultimate in the service of their country ... not the media circus it has turned into, and the "renaming" of Wootton Bassett would make that even worse.

Just my views .... nowt else.

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM

Edit : probably not the right place for that .. my apologies for any offence .. :(

gunbus
4th Nov 2010, 22:31
I go along with Lance37,we all know that the media are political lackies,I also think of us as subjects NOT citizens,put it to the vote.

Motleycallsign
4th Nov 2010, 22:34
We WILL Remember Them.

alwayslookingup
4th Nov 2010, 23:19
I'm going to be selfish on here and remember one person, my own Dad, M****n C****N. Joined 01.04.1957, demobbed 01.04.1979. Served in (and laterally ran) Station Workshops (are they still called that?). Not exactly the sharp end, but various stations, including Kinloss. Leuchars, Coningsby, Waddington, El Adem, Aktotiri & Laarbruch bore testimony to his skill and passion for his trade.

Taken when he was 50 by the big C, he'd have only been 72 now. The more my kids grow up, and the more I do, the more I wish he was still here. There's so much I'd want to talk to him about.

Remembrance Day isn't just about the fallen in conflicts, it's about ALL who have served. I'll be raising a glass to him, and all the others, on the Day.

Moldiold2
5th Nov 2010, 11:06
Thank you to all those who ensured and are still fighting so that I can live in freedom. I recommend the recently released CD We Will Rember Them that features words and music as a fitting tribute. Some of the sale price includes a donation to the RBL.

Shack37
5th Nov 2010, 15:42
Edit : probably not the right place for that .. my apologies for any offence

OmegaV6
Absolutely no offence could be taken from your post, in my opinion anyway. My only comment is that, even if the media is taking over, the homecoming broadcast from Wootton Bassett does keep the price being paid daily by our boys and girls in the public eye.

I was privileged to be present in a US airport when a unit of their servicemen transited through it on the way home from theatre and were given a standing ovation by all present. As I could never hope to ever see this in a UK airport I appreciate the welcome home given by you and your fellow Wootton Bassettians.

fincastle84
5th Nov 2010, 16:29
This thread is a great idea, thanks.

I'd like to thank all of you who dig deep at this time of year & buy your poppies, crosses etc. As the PAO for my local village it's your generosity which makes our door to door sales so worth while.:ok:

We will remember them.

LBP PC DC
5th Nov 2010, 17:55
I am one of the lucky one's who'se family, friends and colleagues have all returned safely from whichever part of the world they were serving in during whichever conflict the UK and their Service was involved in. My thoughts and prayers are with those who are not as lucky as I have been and all those who have fallen in the service of our country.

We will remember them.

5th Nov 2010, 19:51
Another Wootton Bassett resident.
Just back from another repatriation.
I, and my wife, will continue to stand where we always have since the beginning, when there were no media, just the RBL members and a few of the public.
I will not change my behaviour just because the media are there. They will not change how or where I pay my respects to our fallen. I'm not aware of having been on TV and have no wishes either way. If I am, recognisable or not, it is the presence of all who are there that shows that we care.
Its thanks to OB, who, quite rightly, insisted that the herc guys were repatriated to Lyneham, that we in WB have the opportunity to do this.
No to Royal WB, thank you.

We do remember them.

PPRuNe Pop
5th Nov 2010, 19:52
LBP PC DC,

Make no mistake. You will be in everyone's thoughts. You and hundreds just like you have the gratitude of us all. You and they have done your duty and may do so again. I have no problem in saying that we thank you all for your service and your sacrifices - enjoy your loved ones and enjoy your Christmas together.

PPP

DC10RealMan
5th Nov 2010, 20:05
At this time of the year I am reminded of General George Patton who at the funeral oration of some of his soldiers said "Do not mourn these men, but just thank God that such men lived"
I shall be spending Remembrance Day at a memorial service at the old RAF Bomber Command base at RAF Snaith in Yorkshire.

Bertie Thruster
5th Nov 2010, 22:23
I'd like to make another selfish post here and remember my Dad. If he hadn't been a strong swimmer, I don't think I would have existed.

Dieppe, 19th August 1942:

"Phillips closed the beach under intense fire for the withdrawal and succeeded in filling his boat with soldiers. Unfortunately it received a direct hit and sank almost immediately. He encouraged the survivors to swim away from the beach, and he and a few others were picked up by a destroyer 1 ½ miles off shore. His coolness and cheerfulness throughout were an inspiration to all around him."

LBP PC DC
5th Nov 2010, 23:49
Pprune Pop

My sincere apologies, I am not in the services but have had a great many of my friends, family members as well as work colleagues who are, have been or will be in the very near future. I merely meant to say that I consider myself lucky to be in the position that I am in thanks to their dedication and the sacrifice of others. My original career choice was to be allowed to wear a light blue suit but I wound up joining a different thin blue line.

My eternal gratitude to all members of the armed services past, present and future.

DC

chiglet
6th Nov 2010, 00:31
OmegaV6,
Right place, right thread, right remarks...THANK YOU.
I was in the RAF in Borneo, in 1964. Young man [19] and invincible. I rececently read [one of] my Uncle's [Short] Service history. He too was 19 when he was killed, and I am proud to say that my Father named me after my uncle, rather than himself.
My other uncle survived the War, and his name is my second name.
We WILL remember them.

Tappers Dad
6th Nov 2010, 19:49
More coffins will arrive back
More families dressed in black
Not the homecoming they once planned
Now just a coffin and a band

No more nights down the mess
No more girls in pretty dress
Not for them, a lads night out
They have had, their last shout

Heads will bow in the street
Once with hearses they do meet
Flags are lowered by brothers true
A Solemn salute just for you

Your fight is over you paid the price
It was your last throw of the dice
But be sure lads we will never forget
At the rise of the sun and at sunset

You had the courage , you stood strong
You questioned not the right or wrong
Now sleep a while you deserve the rest
Whilst we mourn the loss of you, the best
TD

To Ben ,the crew of XV230 and all those who made the ultimate sacrifice. We will remember them

barnstormer1968
7th Nov 2010, 11:28
I will remember them.

If it were not for the millions of men who volunteered, or were conscripted into the armed forces during the twentieth century, then I would not have been born.
None of them knew me, or knew I would be born into freedom and happiness.

I am grateful to those men, as well as remembering more personal friends and colleagues from my own service time.

Janu
7th Nov 2010, 11:35
Thank you to all those brave people who have served my country, your service will never be forgotten.

Landroger
7th Nov 2010, 15:09
I shall be attending, with my Scouts, the non denominational ceremony at our local War Memorial on the day. We can't make them attend, we ask them to and explain why. We usually get a good response.

We Leaders attend to pay our respects and in the hope that the kids in our Group will, in future, remember them.

Roger.

Lyneham Lad
7th Nov 2010, 20:27
No doubt on Remembrance Day Wootton Bassett will be crowded, so I thought that a view from there this morning (Sunday 7th) might set the scene. Lest we forget.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4133/5153745573_eefb1a8937_o.jpg

Doctor Cruces
10th Nov 2010, 19:04
My father was a Flight Engineer on Lancasters in WW2, I served in the Royal Air Force and was fortunate not to be sent anywhere dangerous (apart from being a "legitimate target" for most of my service) and both of my nephews are in the army, regularly in and out of danger zones (Bosnia, Iraq, Afghanistan). I worry quite a lot when they are in theatre and hope for their safe return. Both are currently in the UK having recently returned.

I am lucky to have served with such fine people and I wear my veterans badge with pride

I certainly will remember them,

a very respectful,

Doc C

BossMofo
10th Nov 2010, 19:22
My Grandad served there (SNAITH)and flew with the "Grey Goose" Halifax Bomber crew from 51 Squadron "Swift and Sure". Im new to this site and Iam so proud to see so many people making an effort to attend Rememberance Ceremonies or paying respect in their own way. Never forget!

Robert Cooper
11th Nov 2010, 17:21
We Will Remember Them.
God Bless Mark.

Janu
11th Nov 2010, 17:59
Today I wore my poppy with pride, I stood silent with gratitude and remembered the Brave with awe! You'll all never be forgotten.

Wander00
11th Nov 2010, 19:44
Today, the only two poppies in our local church were Mrs W's and mine. However, we were in a small 11thC church in France, with a dozen Tricolour Standards round the altar. The service in French was very moving, the singing (as always) fantastic.

By contrast, this afternoon saw the dress rehearsal of our production of "'Allo, 'Allo"! Almost everyone of the cast and crew had been to their local commoration this morning.

PS: Armistice Day is also a Public Holiday here

Tray Surfer
12th Nov 2010, 00:10
I proudly stood in the middle of the passenger cabin on my flight today (I am BA CC, please don't slap me...) after boarding, poppy proudly on show and observed the two minutes silence.

I will forever be grateful to all who have been lost in past and present conflict to give me the freedom I enjoy today.

Lest we forget.

cornish-stormrider
12th Nov 2010, 09:50
Stand Easy.

Proud to wear my poppy and veterans badge. Saw on the BEEb this morning of that cross country "jog" by some servicemen. only 3000 and lots miles.

It makes me so humble to see servicemen and women, the pride of our nation and what they can do, even with three limbs missing.

Some malt will be taken to church on sunday so those who remain behind can toast those who have gone before - I'll bet there's a bar up there and the beer is cold, the banter is awesome and closing time never happens.

If you'm in Plymouth (Guzz for our navy brethern) I shall be at Emmanuel Church, service starts at 10.30 and I shall share a dram...

whisky-sour
13th Nov 2010, 16:39
AMEN. Thank you and RIP.

Navy_Adversary
14th Nov 2010, 08:52
I am now off to the village war memorial to pay my respects to all the valiant people who enabled me to have a good life.

Whilst watching the BBC coverage of the Formula 1 Grand prix yesterday, it appeared that only two of the 3 presenters were wearing Poppies.

Landroger
14th Nov 2010, 11:55
I am very heartened by the Act of Remembrance at our local war memorial this morning. A tremendously broad spectrum of representatives attend, starting with our new MP and our old one, through at least two of the Mosques in the area; Jewish Ex Servicemen; Sikh Temple; West Indian Ex Servicemen; five Scout Groups, some (including my own) with nearly forty children from six to sixteen; Police, Fire and Ambulance services and many, many members of the public.

There is no fuss, little 'ceremony' as such, just a proper observance of the Act of Remembrance, followed by the quiet and dignified laying of some sixty wreaths. The kids laying ours did exactly the right job and I am confident that in years to come, when it is their turn to ask children to attend and tell them why, they will remember them.

Roger.

Chugalug2
14th Nov 2010, 14:36
Rather a wet do at Crawley, West Sussex, but nonetheless a good turnout especially of cadets of all three Services, with RM Cadet Sentinels at Arms Reversed on all four corners of the Memorial throughout. We even had an ATC Piper to play the laments this year.
Just watched a recording of the Cenotaph Parade, very moving and poignant but ever more this year of the Beeb's imprimatur on the coverage. It will not be long before Sophie is sticking a mike under the nose of a War Widow at Eyes Left and asking her inane questions. As it was we had to keep cutting to her doing much the same to a long suffering Major of The Rifles. Most maddening of all we cut to film yet again this year just as the Cadet Contingents were marching past. These young men and women are some of the smartest units on parade having prepared and rehearsed especially for the March Past. Is that why Aunty so obviously disapproves?
Thoughts of my Dad, not memories unfortunately as I was mere weeks old when he embarked on a long and pointless voyage merely to end up and die in captivity. A peninsula, an island, a Naval Task Force of two Capital Ships and a Garrison all lost for want of sufficient Air Cover. Those who forget their history.......

charliegolf
14th Nov 2010, 15:56
Many often despair on prune about the state of the country and the yoof of today.

After church today, I went to Tesco for bits. Just at the right moment, a young lad announced the 2 min silence. He announced it well. The whole place fell silent. Several people blundered in, twigged and immediately fell silent. No smirking, no sighing, no sound. Young lad thanked everyone for their respect.

Nice, I thought.
CG

In pace

InTgreen
14th Nov 2010, 19:08
I stood at a small Cenotaph today, proudly watching my wife lay a wreath during a service (both of us are serving). The only noise that broke the 2min silence was my baby daughter quietly saying 'Dadda'. It being the first Rememberance Day she has been alive for, I couldn't help but think in sorrow of all those who will no longer hear those words directed at them.

At the going down of the sun....

UAV689
14th Nov 2010, 20:14
I will remember. I especially remember my grandad who served in the navy and all his brothers. It was not until his funeral as a pensioner that a distant relative arrived who works for the MOD. I was told that by him that my grandad and his brothers hold the record for most simulateously serving in WW2. 7 brothers all serving at the same time and all came back. I have no idea if this is true and would love to find out.

Today at work I got out my van and paid my respects, and LHR fell as quiet as it can do. When I got back to my shed I heard they did not observe the silence, and it has well and truely wound me up.

cornish-stormrider
15th Nov 2010, 08:55
Had a beautiful service at church - was a truly excellent rememberance - probably the best I have ever been to - no shame to admit there were more than a few hankies deployed.

Had a wee dram after in memory of mates, aquaintances, colleagues and all those who just did their job......

And in the afterrnoon caught some of the VC story. there is an inspiring tale.

Keep it up Ladies and Gents.

Whenurhappy
15th Nov 2010, 09:32
I attended a Service at a Commonwealth War Cemetary in Southern Germany in brilliant sunshine. The local Tyrolean-style band played a very creditable version of the RAF March and the service was very well attended by local dignitaries. I did, however, has that there attendance was out of an obligation, rather than any desire of contrition or commemoration (after all we bombed their cities back to the dark ages). However, the fact that I drove a BMW to the Service without any flicker of irony shows how we, as a nation, have moved on.

It is so sad to see the bomber crew graves grouped together - together in life and together in death.

gunbus
15th Nov 2010, 21:03
Did my parade too in my local town in surrey,more people than past years attended,it was heartwarming to see the large number of young people there,and they all new why,sad we only hear about the worst of our yoof

endplay
16th Nov 2010, 09:43
I collected all my poppy tins yesterday (some 35-40 at local businesses) and found that the tin from the local co-op had been stolen. Fortunately it was a second tin, the first full one had already been collected. Entirely innocent staff and customers had put extra money into a cash bag to help make good the loss.

A loss of belief in humanity instantly restored.

doubledolphins
16th Nov 2010, 16:42
Well having done Trafalgar Square on the 11th. (A lovely little gathering of the great and good.) I felt I would be ok to do my normal Sunday Morning activity of Coaching Mini and Junior Rugby. Well not quite normal as the Club had asked me to arrainge a two minute silence. Well, I blew my old Gunnery Whistle at 1100 and all the other coaches joined in (as briefed before hand) with their ref's whistles. The effect was stunning. All coaching stopped and every one stood where they were. The teams for the 11 O'clock matches stood together, lined up as their heros had done at Twickenham the day before. The silence was perfect. the only sound was of the birds. (Thank you Liverpool and Manchester Airports.) I was so choked I could hardly blow for the Carry On at the end. This was Remembrance at it's purest.

TheWizard
16th Nov 2010, 20:04
Meanwhile, low life scum take advantage of the day. Sickening behaviour.
BBC News - Thieves target Chelsea Pensioners on Remembrance Sunday (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11768883)

Whenurhappy
31st Oct 2011, 07:52
Hmm, Last Post(ing) almost a year ago...

This year I'll be back in the UK - London on 11th and in my northern home town on the 13th. Last year was spent laying a wreath at a CWGC Cemetary along with other Commonwealth personnel.

What to do this year? Well, I'll observe the 2 minutes silence on the 11th, but I think I will avoid the local service on Sunday. Why? Well, a quick check of the council website shows it promotiiong a 'service of reconcilliation' at 1400 (rather than 1100) and lists the various groups who will be participating, including Quakers (holding a silent vigil), Free Palestine, Fair Trade for (Home town), Woodland Folk, along with the usual RBL, RAFA, ACF, WI and scounting groups.

Like RWB, I fear that there is a growth in the Grief Industry; this proposed non-denominational service is labelled as a service to commemorate all victims of war and I suppose there's nothing wrong with that, but firstly I sense that it might be used as a political platform and, secondly, a lot of people will turn up to be seen - just like RWB. I'm sure it will be a jolly day out. Moreover, when I last attended the service (which was 'happy clappy', to say the least) I got a bit of grief afterwards from some of the bewhiskered, crimson-faced RBL and RAFA types there, who talked of an alien BAOR and RAFG and made slighted comments about my Balkans medals as not counting (I have medals for the Middle East and AFG as well) and then bored to the point of self-harm by two guys explaining why they should be awarded a National Defence Medal for spending their careers drinking beer in Germany, amongst recolelctions of getting drunk in the Mally and Naafi. Now I incurred the wrath of some PPruners by mentioning this attitude of some RBL and RAFA types some months ago, but again I wonder how many of those attending this service in this northern, but affluent town full of 'down-shifters' know any people currently in the Services or indeed, have any conenction at all?

Perhaps I am being a bit harsh - at least the fallen will be remembered, albeit through revisionist eyes. I might head over to Chapel at my son's school. Most of the Upper 6th of 1913 were lost on the first day of the Somme. Now that's sobering to reflect on.

Halton Brat
31st Oct 2011, 08:57
At this time, amongst others, I remember Sqn Ldr Mike Haverson, Flt Lt Simon Roberts & FS Jan Pewtress (Nov 1992/Bessbrook NI/Puma).

RIP

Chugalug2
31st Oct 2011, 09:14
I also have many suspicions and reservations about many of the organised civic Remembrance occasions such as the "Service of Reconciliation" you describe at your town, Wuh. The fact that it is to be held at 1400 Hrs tells its own story of a "refreshing" break with outdated customs and a "challenging" new approach. I think that true Remembrance is a very personal thing, albeit often enhanced by solemnity and tradition centred around any one of thousands of War Memorials. As usual I intend to be at our local town ceremony on Remembrance Sunday. I will be thinking of my Dad, a young Bombardier who had scarcely seen his new born son before he and his TA LAA Battery were embarked for the long and hazardous voyage to Singapore in the winter of 1941. By the time they got there it was about to fall, and they were diverted instead to Sumatra. From thereon they were on the run until being over run and captured in Java. Long cruel years of imprisonment followed, mainly in Japan mining enemy coal. Many, including my father, died of the terrible treatment and back breaking work. Others less fortunate survived, to be haunted forever by the terrible experiences they could never forget.
Lest we forget, we will remember them.

Whenurhappy
31st Oct 2011, 10:25
Chugalug,

Such a tragic story - for you and your family, echoing that Remembrance Day is primarily a personal endeavour.

I have been researching, inter alia with the help of PPruners, the story of my wife's great uncle - a 100 Sqn WOp/AG - who survived both aerial and ground slaughter in Jan/Feb 1941 in Singapore, only to be sent to the Burma railway, and surviving this, shipped to Japan to work in the coal mines. His ship (a former US merchant vessel) was torpedoed by a USN Submarine and he drowned. His death, 67 years ago, cast a long shadow over my wife's family (his brother also died in a torpedo attack, off Greenland) right through until the present day. It has only been in the last few years that members of his generation finally learned of the complete and tragic story.

Certainly, the solemnity of the occasions - Elgar's Nimrod Variations, for example - reinforce the grevious loss felt by so many. To seek equanimity with other who have died, not under service of the Crown (or that of the Allies) by jazzing the whole business, can trivialise the event and even undermine through revisionism, the important of Remembrance.

noprobs
31st Oct 2011, 17:35
There is strong support for the RAF in one town at least on Remembrance Day this year.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd382/noprobs2/th_Honeytrap.jpg

Shanewhite
31st Oct 2011, 18:19
I am now off to the village war memorial to pay my respects to all the valiant people who enabled me to have a good life.

Whilst watching the BBC coverage of the Formula 1 Grand prix yesterday, it appeared that only two of the 3 presenters were wearing Poppies.

I didn't spot who was or wasn't wearing a poppy, but bear in mind that Eddie Jordan is not a UK citizen, being from County Wicklow.

Chugalug2
31st Oct 2011, 20:25
noprobs, your eyesight is probably better than mine. Is that Susannah Yorke in the RH window? Indeed could that be her in the LH window as well? In any case, good for them! If it gets peoples attention to the RBL's great work and the importance to pause once a year at least to remember the debt we owe so many generations of brave men and women, then Messrs Honeytrap Lingerie have performed a noble service.

wuh, I mentioned my story not because it was tragic, but because it was par for the course for that wartime generation, as the story you tell also demonstrates. The consequences of those terrible years live on generation upon generation, as do those of subsequent years, subsequent wars, "peace keeping", "International Policing", or whatever other euphemisms have been dreamt up by the word-smiths in Whitehall. Most families have such cause for Remembrance, and that is what they remember, not woolly high blown rhetoric about World Peace. If only!

Shanewhite, I think NA's observations about F1 are a year old! In any case, the prominent display of Poppy wearing TV commentators, even before October is done with, always leaves me with an uncomfortable feeling that I'm being got at. Unlike my Poppy which curls up within hours of me pinning it to my lapel, theirs are always pristine, mint, and perfect. I imagine that is because they are newly pinned on them by the Set Manager/ Best Boy/ Whatever from an inexhaustible supply. I'd rather get mine from Messrs Honeytrap Lingerie!

Whenurhappy
1st Nov 2011, 07:51
Chugs,

Yet the corporate memory of the public is increadibly short; to illustrate this a survey was recently conducted (can't find the link) for people to place the year that the 7/7 bombings occured in London. Few people outside of London had the foggiest recall - typically pitching for 2001, clearly conflating the link with 9/11.*

Similarly, now that the Great War generation has passed, and WWII Generation is in their late 80s or older, there is every likelihood that the reasons for Britain and its allies went to war in 1914 and 1939 will drift and be viewed as a economic struggle seen through the lens of Socialist revisionism. My daughter went to a US DODEA school, and of course, World War I lasted only 2 years (1917-18) and World War II was a mere snip from 1941-45. Her history of WW2 failed to mention the Battle of Britain, or Operation Barbarossa, for example. Mind, if you ask the Chinese, their war with Japan started in 1931.

Our current wars are generating casualties and sympathy, but sympathy tempered with a sense of choice. As I have reported previously on this forum, where home is in the UK, the locals (often affluent urban refugees) have commented along the lines of 'no one is forced to join the Army', which matches a rather unfortunate DfID internal memo seen several years ago where soldiers were categorised as being 'young, white, aggressive males from disadvantaged backgrounds, who were racist and sexist' (this was the time that the video by Prince Harry of his South Asian friend hit the news) and demonstrated this by images white, bare-topped, muscular and tattood paras clearly enjoying laying down (defensive) MG fire in Sangin in 2006. It was the Islington 'metropolitan elite' at its worst.

We should resist the urge to dumb-down Remembrance Day and make it more 'inclusive' of the vicitms of war and festivalise it (Hey, just invested a word, I think!).

* for those with, err, memory deficiencies, it was 2005!

peppermint_jam
1st Nov 2011, 09:02
I'm proud to be the 4th genereation of my family to serve in the military. The first was my great Uncle who served with 4th Bn, Suffolk Regiment. He survived the horrors of the Somme, sadlly though he was killed in 1917 close to the town of Arras in northern France. He is commemorated along with some 35,000 other brave souls on the Arras memorial in the Faubourg-d'Amiens Cemetery. I hope to visit the memorial early next year.

Gone, but never ever forgotten.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f372/robstuff/ac6384a0.jpg

parabellum
1st Nov 2011, 10:00
Whenurhappy - Not sure if it is the same now but some years ago I was stationed in Ripon, Yorkshire, the Regiment, (Royal Engineers), had the Freedom of the City and on Remembrance Day there was a service at the cathedral and a full parade through the town. Don't know if Ripon is anywhere near you but if it is and the procedure is the same you should have a 'proper' Remembrance day service there. Probably worth checking ahead though.

Tankertrashnav
1st Nov 2011, 10:54
In any case, the prominent display of Poppy wearing TV commentators, even before October is done with, always leaves me with an uncomfortable feeling that I'm being got at.

In fairness, the RBL launches its poppy appeal each year around the same time in October; last Wednesday I believe was the start date this year. Certainly where I work we have been selling poppies since last Friday. I wear one when I am serving and this frequently prompts people into saying "Oh yes, and I'll get a poppy while I'm here" Any idea of getting at you is I hope balanced by an increase in poppies sold and thus money raised.

Re "curly" poppies, I make a decent donation for my first one, and "refresh" it at a nominal cost from time to time. I think that's reasonable, as the poppies themselves cost pence to make.

Wander00
1st Nov 2011, 11:20
In France even the smallest commune has a ceremony at the village war memorial (usually 3 sides covered with names from WW1, a few from WW2, then the odd one or two from Indo-China and N Africa), usually at 1000, followed by a service in a local church for a dozen or so communes at 1100. The chuch is always full to overflowing. Each year we have recived an invitaion from M le Maire, but this year, because we have to be in Bordeaux on 10th for a medical appointment for Mrs W we shall be in Saintes on 11/11/11 at the invitation of the French Air Force, with others, laying the RAFA wreath. I have no doubt but that it will be a most moving occasion.

Whenurhappy
1st Nov 2011, 13:31
Other side of t'Penines, I'm afraid Mr Parabellum. Mind you, I wouldn't expect any less form a Garrison town.:ok:

I've decided to embarrass my son and go along to his school's service on Sunday morning at St Hogwart's. Apart from the names inscribed in the cloisters, many of the families of the fallen - from WWI up to very recent times, have contributed artwork, often landscapes where the 'old boys' (many just in their 20s, if that) fell. If anything, this small gesture is even more humbling, as set in the frame is a photo of the boy when he was at the school. I hope never to be in the position to hang a similar picture there myself.

Ken Scott
1st Nov 2011, 18:13
A party from XXIV Sqn will be on the Somme for 11 Nov 11, unveiling a memorial to our first OC, Maj L E G Hawker VC, DSO, first ace of the RFC, KIA 23 Nov 16 by an unknown upstart young German name of Manfred Von Richthofen. The local Maire & his village have been very supportive of the sqn's plans. I understand that at one of the panning meetings when it was said that the village was being put to alot of bother - 'It's nothing, he died for France!'

The sqn has also arranged for the replica DH2 from Wickenby to fly to the Somme to do a flypast - the aircraft's painted in the colours of Hawker's one - it should be an awesome sight passing overhead where he was buried and on over the memorial.

Shack37
1st Nov 2011, 20:15
This arrived in my inbox with a plea to send it on. I hope it feels at home here.
THE FINAL INSPECTION

The soldier stood and faced his God,
Which must always come to pass.
He hoped his shoes were shining,
Just as brightly as his brass.

'Step forward now, you soldier,
How shall I deal with you ?
Have you always turned the other cheek ?
To My Church have you been true?'

The soldier squared his shoulders and said,
'No, Lord, I guess I ain't.
Because those of us who carry guns,
Can't always be a saint.

I've had to work most Sundays,
And at times my talk was tough.
And sometimes I've been violent,
Because the world is awfully rough.

But, I never took a penny,
That wasn't mine to keep...
Though I worked a lot of overtime,
When the bills got just too steep.

And I never passed a cry for help,
Though at times I shook with fear.
And sometimes, God, forgive me,
I've wept unmanly tears.

I know I don't deserve a place,
Among the people here.
They never wanted me around,
Except to calm their fears.

If you've a place for me here, Lord,
It needn't be so grand.
I never expected or had too much,
But if you don't, I'll understand.

There was a silence all around the throne,
Where the saints had often trod.
As the soldier waited quietly,
For the judgment of his God.

'Step forward now, you soldier,
You've borne your burdens well.
Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets,
You've done your time in Hell.'

Author Unknown
We WILL remember them.

Spry
1st Nov 2011, 21:36
I never saw active service only being a VRT, but have lost ex-cadets in the Falklands and more recent conflicts. I am proud to say I knew them and that they died serving the Country they loved.

When you go home tell them of us and say, for your tomorrow we gave our today.

Thud_and_Blunder
2nd Nov 2011, 17:43
When stationed at Laarbruch in the 90s, my wife and I used to go over the border to the Cemeteries near Arnhem then back via the one in the forest around this time of year. My son is now the same age - 17 - as the youngest Para I saw buried there. Gives me pause for thought, perhaps even more now than it did then.

alisoncc
5th Nov 2011, 02:39
Sitting at a table strewn with poppies in cellophane packets, people for the wearing of, took over UKP90 in less than two hours last Tuesday afternoon. This is in a suburban shopping mall in a small town almost as far South as one can go on mainland Australia.

Customers predominantly older men and women, and a good sprinkling of younger girls. Males up to the age of approx 45 yrs - no chance. They tended to look away as they approached - obviously feeling guilty. I would stare at them, and if they looked my way I would give them a big smile, and offer them a free one from some I had available. Old dears would almost always buy a $2.00 one.

Will be at a larger shopping mall in town Thursday afternoon the 10th, doing same again.

maxburner
5th Nov 2011, 12:06
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k106/davidhlewis/DSCF1458.jpg

Normandy.

MrFlibble
7th Nov 2011, 16:18
Flt Lt Arthur Wyn Idwal-Jones (#102593) - 218 Sqn - KIA May 1942

Sgt David Vincent Idwal Jones (#1430702) - 619 Sqn - KIA Aug 1943

For both my great uncles, and all the others who gave their tomorrows for my today,

I will remember them.

Wensleydale
11th Nov 2011, 07:02
Light me a candle in your window, sweet,
And let it burn as brightly as our love;
However thick your curtains and complete
Your blackout, I shall see it from above.

Though high the space and long the distance stretch
Between myself and that far flickering light,
Its flame shall be my lodestar and will fetch
Me homewards through a century of night.

I'll set my course upon your lonely bed
And on your heartbeats my direction steer,
While like a star will shine above my head
That glow of faith, that challenge to your fear.

Keep warm your arms, and when the invading ice
Licks at our leading edge it will recall
Only their warmth and that rich benefice
To which I am inducted after all.

Sleep long, sleep sound, and dream while I am gone
Of happiness past and yet to be
When this moon-crazy interlude is done
And we can live and love at liberty.

But if one morning when you awake you see
The flame has died like dreams that fall apart,
Light me a candle for my memory
And let it burn for ever in your heart.

Flt Lt O. Chaves
Who did not return in 1943.

Tankertrashnav
11th Nov 2011, 08:50
maxburner - your picture is interesting as it obviously shows one of the American war cemeteries in Normandy which are easily distinguished from the Commonwealth War Graves cemeteries by the fact that crosses, not headstones, are used to mark the graves.

The original graves of British & Commonwealth war dead were marked by crosses, but these were gradually replaced by the familiar headstone from the 1920s. There is an interesting article on this here:

Hellfire Corner - The Great War - Battlefield Crosses - War Graves (http://www.fylde.demon.co.uk/crosses.htm)

The engraving on the headstone of course incorporates a cross, Star of David or other religious symbol, as appropriate, and the American cemeteries certainly mark Jewish graves with the star. How either's cemeteries arrange for the burial of Muslims whose graves should be aligned to Mecca (I believe) I am not sure.

If you have never visited a war cemetery you should do so if possible - it is a sobering and humbling experience.

1.3VStall
11th Nov 2011, 09:04
TTN,

I fully concur with your last sentence. Last year we took our two boys to the Normandy beaches, Cafe Gondree at Pegasus Bridge and the British and Commonwealth War Cemeteries at Ranville and Bayeux.

For two typical teenagers (Kevins!) they were visibly moved and very interested in learning about that period of history. If we don't continue to pass this on to our youngsters then there is danger that in the future the acts of remembrance will fade away.

Halton Brat
11th Nov 2011, 09:45
Based as I am, in the central area of mainland NW Europe, I have had the on-going privilege of visiting many of these places. The spectrum is extremely broad; from the American Cemeteries, which are beautifully arranged & almost manicured, to the German Cemeteries, which are dark places, filled with abject sorrow. In the midst of this range sits the British Cemeteries, which, as one would expect, are dignified & modest in their ambience.

I visited Luxembourg American Cemetery - General George Patton buried here, also 22 pairs of brothers buried side-by-side (40 pairs at Margraten US Cemetery in Holland). As with all such US places, it is beautiful; a place of celebration & respect, in fact. As I was leaving, the bell tower chimed the hour, then commenced to play a medley of WW2-era tunes; the hairs on the back of my neck stood up at the sound of this. An 82nd Airborne veteran was walking out at the same time, having taken his children/grandchildren etc there; we talked for a moment, & I mentioned my RAF service; he said that the RAF had bombed him several times, but he was happy that their accuracy was less than good on those occasions.

At the other end of this spectrum is the German Cemetery at Lommel (Belgium), close to the Dutch/Belgian border, NW of Liege. It is situated in a vast forest clearing; as I walked through the entrance gate, I was stunned at the scale of the place. Small crosses filled this huge space, and closer inspection revealed that often x4 men were buried at each cross (x2 each side of a cross). A total of some 39,000 German troops are buried there; a heavy air of immense waste & futility pervades the place - on that cold, damp autumn day, I did not linger too long.

As I sit here in my German office, my colleagues are handing out lollipops to celebrate the first day of the German Carnival season today, 11 November. I have declined; they have no understanding of the significance of this day.

As the clock moves inexorably towards 1100 (GMT), I shall sit in quiet reflection, remembering absent friends & those unknown to me, who gave their all.

Per Ardua ad Astra

HB

tezzer
11th Nov 2011, 10:34
Dusty this morning, here in East Yorks at least.

Particularily poignant here as my eldest daughter has just finished her nursing degree, and has signed up to the QARANCs to do her bit.

God watch over them all, please.

Wander00
11th Nov 2011, 17:21
This morning at Saintes in Southern France, 6 of us from RAFA Sud Ouest France attended a Drapeu (Standard) presentation to the FAF Training School at Saintes, followed by a simple ceremony of wreath laying at the war memorial. The primary school children sang La Marseaillaise - not a dry eye in the house - and then the orchestra played the haunting melody that commemorates the French resistance. In a restaurant in Saintes last night a young French woman approached Mrs W and I to ask about our poppies - so we explained "In Flanders field the poppies grow, row on row...", and Earl Haig and the Royal British Legion. She went back to her table and the conversation for the next several minutes was centred on what I had told her. So hope we have spread the word a little.

ArthurR
11th Nov 2011, 19:22
Raised a glass today to those I knew and also those I did not, a few I knew are here:

Silent Valley (http://www.britains-smallwars.com/Aden/silentvalley/index.html)

Dan Gerous
12th Nov 2011, 20:17
There have been lots of Army Cadets in the Border towns going round the main streets with collection tins, but I would like to point out the Air Cadets in Galashiels today, who were very smartly turned out, and for the short period I was in Gala, were doing a brisk trade in Poppies. Well done and nice to see the air side of things being represented in the Borders :ok:

C130 Techie
12th Nov 2011, 22:19
I have just watched the Royal British Legion Festival Of Remembrance.

Once again it was a wholly fitting tribute to those who have made the ultimate sacrifice and those who continue to serve their country in these troubled times.

I have a huge respect for the widows and families of those bereaved during recent ops. They carry themselves with great dignity.

Some excellent performances tonight from some of the countries greats.

It is good to see the continuing participation of our youth in these events.

It is very dusty in here this evening

Brian Abraham
12th Nov 2011, 22:52
Don't know the occasion, but thought this an admirable tribute on both sides.

Little Belgian boy saluting Canadian Troops - YouTube

The Blue Parrot
13th Nov 2011, 11:46
Nice to see that at the Cenotaph today, her Majesty the Queen at the young age of 85 and The Duke of Edinburgh, age 90, stood for approx 40 mins in front of the Cenotaph. An example to us all and slightly better than the 44 military and civilian personnel who either walked off or fainted during the Armistace Parade at Camp Bastion on Friday Morning! After all, we must have been stood at attention for all of 10 mins!

One wonders what the modern military (not all I might add) youngster is made of these days!:ugh:

Chugalug2
13th Nov 2011, 20:53
Our town ceremony followed its established pattern with a few variations. The four sentinels with Arms Reversed guarding the War Memorial were this year Sea Cadets rather than Royal Marine ones, and one of them a girl at that. I was going to use the words "slip of" as she seemed too small to carry the full weight of an SA80 in the awkward "Resting on Arms Reversed" position, but she did so with a Guard like steadiness. The weapon hardly seems appropriate for such duty, being heavy and short, as compared to the Lee-Enfield .303, on which you did indeed rest your palms on the butt, the muzzle resting in turn on your boots (avoiding the bulled toe-caps of course!). The turn-out, both of cadets and public seems to increase year by year. The band was impressive as well, a Pipes and Drums one from the local ATC Squadron. In short a fitting tribute to the Fallen and a reminder of the enormous debt owed to them.

Scribbly
14th Nov 2011, 21:21
I went to my local church in No 1s, feeling a bit apprehensive as I didn't really know what the church felt about it. As I went in, one of the elderly gentlemen who gives out the hymn books perked up and whispered "well done" to me, which made me smile and I felt a lot better. All was going well until we got to "Abide with me" when I just couldn't hold the tears back (never can with that hymn) so kept my head down. Amazingly, all around I could hear sniffles and lots of hankies being brought out, and at the end the people beside me wiped their eyes, grabbed my arm and said "we are all so proud of you". More tears from me, sorry.
I was really moved by the warm wishes everyone gave to the Armed Forces, through me, and amazed by the number of people who sidled up to me and said things like "my son is in Afghanistan at the moment". I know the church-goers are a specialist bunch of people but I was really heartened to see the support for the troops from "the general public". Long may it continue.

Shack37
14th Nov 2011, 22:55
ArthurR

Raised a glass today to those I knew and also those I did not, a few I knew are here:

That 20th June 67 date always brings back memories of pints of Tiger supped in the Camel Club with the "Geordies". Not forgetting the RCT lads lost on the same day.

Not Forgotten

ArthurR
15th Nov 2011, 19:05
Shack37, will never forget that day, its a day (night) every year, I want to spend alone, just me, something to drink, and memories, sad all of them, I still wonder if the official toll of that day was true, rumour at the time had it higher, and the Russian spy was Prime Minister.

A2QFI
15th Nov 2011, 20:53
I was in Petersfield on Sunday. An excellent turnout for a parade and memorial service at the War Memorial. Cadets read out the names of the deceased; started with WW1 and I noticed a very unusual surname of whom 4 had died, related presumably. The latest casualty was from 2010. I was very moved to see an old and very wiry Parachute Regiment veteran, smartly turned out, blind and supported by his wife and with his guide dog lying quietly at his feet.