PDA

View Full Version : W7 graphics driver

Loose rivets
4th Nov 2010, 16:35
Loaded new W7 Home prem last night. It loaded right over the top of W7 RC, despite what everyone says. However, while it has found the internet and the sound, it has not identified the graphics card, and I'm having real trouble with that.

Is there somewhere the system will display exactly what is in the machine? So I can search for that specific driver. Even pulling the hardware out to look doesn't show much these days, due to mass production.

Right now, it just keeps defaulting to a bog standard VGA, with quite a few res settings, but not the 1440 x 900 I need. The Beta seemed to find it easily.

There seems to be no way to get it to try anything else. Deleting the driver just sees it reinstalling the default again.

Mike-Bracknell
4th Nov 2010, 16:41
There's a few, but the easiest way to check is to open the system and read the model number. If it's integrated on the motherboard, just google the motherboard specs. If it's standalone, it should be written on the PCB.

M.Mouse
4th Nov 2010, 16:50
There is a brilliant piece of software, which I was so impressed with I bought it, called Drivermax. It identifies and updates ALL drivers in your PC. Once update dit has an option to backup all your drivers to a folder on your hard disk.

It also has a facility which identifies 'Unknown Hardware'. It runs in free mode but I am not sure what the restrictions in functionality are in free mode. It is only around $20 to buy and I have used it on many PCs. I would be surprised if it couldn't solve your problem.

Loose rivets
4th Nov 2010, 17:18
$20 for any number of PCs? Sounds like a deal.

It's strange, up till now, W7 has done a brilliant job of finding the graphics components. Having said that, one time they weren't there for several starts, then suddenly the 1920 X 1080 drivers appeared. Maybe, these will, but I'm so pressured with jobs, I can't afford the time to play right now.

Loose rivets
4th Nov 2010, 17:23
Yep, had to open it up. HP part number gives the 5200. That does sound familiar.

HP 5187-4907 NEW PULL NVIDIA GEFORCE FX5200

128MB AGP LANCER NV34M 5200-64

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh! It's doing it again. Looks like the genuine Nvidia site, but wants to send 90 odd MEGGAbites of crap. Last night it sent a plethora of toys that I didn't want, but NO :mad: driver.

Installing the Cambridge Computer Graphics double layer AutoCAD board was a doddle to this.

Parapunter
4th Nov 2010, 17:41
According to Nvidia's driver support site, that card is not supported in windows 7. Always run the advisor before installing windows 7.

Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers (http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us)

Mike-Bracknell
4th Nov 2010, 18:14
That's a pretty ooooooooold card. Could be a candidate to shuffle you towards the hardware upgrade route.

hellsbrink
4th Nov 2010, 18:59
FX5200? Use the Vista driver, should work then.

Loose rivets
4th Nov 2010, 19:26
Vista driver? Food for thought.

It worked well...in fact very well, in W7 RC.

As mentioned before, I like the high refresh rate this LG monitor gives, and was able to have both correct res and 72 hz I think it was.

I've got me back to the wall on jobs - I'll just have to have a bash at it tonight.

One thought: The upgrade may be a bit iffy. It was purchased for my wife's HP laptop. (did not use first disc install thing and it seems all the HP :mad: is on that.) I have to say I'd forgotten it was a Vista Upgrade because I'd had it in mind to do the clean install that it suggests on the packet. What's odd is that it upgraded RC. Just launched into the job without any options. However, I realize I may have to go back to square one on this, but it is registered, and the updates are pouring in.

theron
4th Nov 2010, 20:12
late to the party but..
there is a piece of software called ccleaner (its free to download) that will tell you the processor, amount of ram and graphics card installed.

if you need even more detailed information there is even cpu-z, also free.

Loose rivets
4th Nov 2010, 21:19
I've found the complete download from last time, but it still refuses to compete the installation. Beginning to get a bad feeling about this OS.

One file is clearly marked Vista_W7 So it should be appropriate . . . shouldn't it?

Loose rivets
5th Nov 2010, 05:08
Yeeeeey! Found a different Nv site. Found the right nomenclature. Pressed the button, and away it went. 32mb of it. Even got 75 Hz refresh..

Why the bloooody blue blazes couldn't I have done that the first time?:confused:

Le Pen
7th Nov 2010, 14:36
I updated to W7 a while back and went here

TousLesDrivers.com for my drivers..... Its in French, but if you select Mes Drivers and then Lancer La Detection, It checks your system and shows you the latest drivers and has links to them too.

Hope this helps

LP