PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Chile?

spineffects
3rd Oct 2000, 16:28
Does anybody know if non-chileans can fly there commercially? And what the job situation is?

Jopa
5th Oct 2000, 22:39
I know that some non-chilean are curently flying commercial in Chile but I'm not sure exactly under what terms (regarding the licence). Lan Chile is the major employer for commercial pilots however, the recruitment slowed considerably with respect to previous years. I know for sure that two pilots from Argentina where hired recently by Lan Chile to fly on the B767 freighter. Minimum requirments to join Lan Chile are the commercial licence and something like 300 hours. However, any 0's added to your logbook would increase your chances proportionaly. You need a good english level some luck and that's about it I guess...

I believe that the others companies are not hiring at this time except, maybe, Aerocontinente who operates a 767-200 and some 737's out of SCEL.

Good luck!

spineffects
6th Oct 2000, 12:21
Thanks for that, I might be headed that way some time later so I was curious. Hows the GA industry? Private training, small aircraft charter?

PAIFAgofer
11th Oct 2000, 13:02
spineffects
friend of mine just went home to Chile from the states with an FAA ATP and 2000TT and got picked up by LanChile. Chile emulates the FAA in all certification, 1:1 with no exams. All other licences outside of the Americas must go through a conversion course.

spineffects
16th Oct 2000, 12:51
Good info, thanks. Any idea how the aussie ATPL or CPL counts?

PAIFAgofer
17th Oct 2000, 11:39
Spin-
according to my mate, the Chileans will convert any ICAO ATP to a Chilean ATP, but it has a big limitation stamp "For private flying only". This limitation gets removed when a company in Chile offers you a contract. Its a bit sticky for non-mercusar nationals to get jobs, the best thing is to go and get married. They have a great selection. Besides that, its a brilliant coutry full of excellent people.

PAIFAgofer
17th Oct 2000, 11:44
sticking my foot in my mouth again, i forgot to mention the conversion course for non FAA licenses. Air Law and Radio only, but in Spanish.