PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Condorito
28th Sep 2000, 06:13
Hi folks. .
Just thought I'd drop a line. I understand the site needs a bit of a boost and thought it my duty as a Latino to help the cause.
I'm CPL currently doing my IFR rating here in Sydney. .although not lately as there is a lot of clutter in the air due to the Olympics. My life long ambition is to fly in Sth America. .and while on the subject. .what is recruitment like over there?. . is it as competitive as everywhere else?. .Do airlines have an intake percentage from GA? How would a GA pilot from Oz be received over there? (Chile, Argentina, Brasil etc)
Algun comentario chiquillos?. . .

Tom the Tenor
30th Sep 2000, 03:37
Hi, Condorito, As no one else as welcomed you to the Latin American Forum I will do so. I love aeroplanes and Central & South America but do not know what it is like to get pilot jobs there as I am from Cork, Ireland. Hopefully, some of the experts from the region will eventually take time out to answer some of your queries. I bet Oz is a great place to be at the moment with the Olympics going on etc. Wishing you blue skies and happy landings. Thank you, TTT.

Xenia
30th Sep 2000, 14:50
Hello to Condorito and the tenor! :-)
I am a "latina" who flies in the UK. I am a Cabin Crew.
I was born in South America (Italian parents, wich explain my EU passport)
I flew in South America for many years....
beautiful place and beautiful people!!!!
I understand emmigration laws are quite strict there as well...and unless u can have the passport of the flag carrier you want to fly for it is a bit difficult....
As I still have lots of friends there...I promise to try to find out more for u, ok?
It's really nice to hear that people from around the world get interested in South America...unfortunatelly most of the people think it is "third world" forgetting we're very professional and forgetting FAA is very strict with us too..... :-(

------------------
*************************Happy Landings! :-)

JBravo
30th Sep 2000, 23:15
Welcome to the Latin Forum!

I have to say that it has always been (and still is) a dream to fly in Brazil, for Varig, TAM, or whatever. Luckily I have not only a dutch passport, but a brazilian passport to, and one day I could even go for it. But to be honest I have to say that I first want to earn enough money here in Europe to pay my debts, and a little extra. Because in Brasil I won't make enough money to pay those debts in a reasonable time. And moreover, the free market with unemployed pilots with more than 2000hours jet experience. I have no doubt it will change sometime, but it doesn't really help to get a job there.
But:
If you don't have a brazilian passport and want to work there, arange a brazilian girl ;)

http://smilecwm.tripod.com/net7/bravo.gif

AeroBoero
1st Oct 2000, 01:08
Condorito ;

Welcome in the LA forum.
Let me correct JBravo from his advice to you ; arrange a Brazilian girl :) but unfortunately it won't give the Brazilian passport.....whe have one mate here in the BB that is married to Brazilian and things just didn't happen...you need to be naturalised(hope the right word) to fly as a commercial pilot there. And that only after long years living in Brazil (more than ten if I'm not wrong). And that goes pretty much for all the others LA countries. But if you do have a citizanship from one country , there should be no (big) problem at all.
GA pilots are absorved there as is no sponsorship (cadet programs) like in Europe in most if not all of the countries in LA. But is much more a matter of "who you know" also. But at some time flying in GA , that should be not a problem too.
And as Xenia said....don't think that because LA is "labeled" with the Third World tittle that things there are wild and "god bless all" situation. Very professional people down there.

------------------
Reporte través de XAREO

JBravo
3rd Oct 2000, 00:01
I stand corrected http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/redface.gif
But it still is a good advice, to marry a Brazilian girl. Even if it won't get you a flying job there :) :)

Jopa
5th Oct 2000, 22:50
Condorito,

I don't know for the rest of Latin America but in Chile at this moment things have settle a little (compare to three years ago or so). I know that some people who where not born in Chile and with foreign licences are curently flying with Lan Chile but I'm not quite sure under what provisions and terms. Mainly all you need to join LA is to meet the entry requirments (CPL and minimum 300 hours) and be at the right place at the right time. As you log more time your chances increase but as I see it, it all depends on timing. Lan Chile is not hiring on a regular basis at this time but you always may give it a try. As for the others companies I'm not quite sure how they are doing. Aerocontinente might be looking for some qualified drivers as they recently started op's from SCEL with a 767-200 and some 737's.

Cheers!

spineffects
6th Oct 2000, 12:28
Hi Condorito

Just interested in knowing where you are doing your IFR in sydney and how much is costing?

Where are you from (or interested in going) in SA? I'm also interested in SA but find it difficult to get much info from outside!

Cheers

Constable Clipcock
7th Oct 2000, 04:00
In Argentina, a Residente Transitorio visa may be extended every 90 days for a fee of 350 peso (valued on par with the US dollar). Unlike Residente Permanente, the Residente Transitorio visa does not allow the right to work in Argentina.

However, once you've been in the Republic for 2 years (¡S' — solo dos años!), you would be eligible for Residente Pemanente status and the right to work, or if you so desired, even naturalization as an Argentine citizen!

An offer of employment is extremely difficult to get in that country unless you're already an Argentine national or Permanent Resident.

A two-year extended vacation in-country is expensive to say the least, but it is one possible avenue to obtaining a passport in a South American country if you're not married to a local and don't have an offer-of-employment.

Argentine licensing requirements meet or exceed ICAO recommendations, and are comparable to EU standards:
Piloto Privado: typical ICAO PPL. Before night-flying and controlled airspace operations are allowed, a short follow-on course is required and the Nocturno and VFR Controlado ratings — and yes, these are considered as additional ratings — must be obtained. In comparison, these skills are an integral part of the US Private. Piloto Comercial: This is a "full" ICAO CPL. Roughly equivalent to a UK BCPL, or Oz/NZ/Can/RSA CPL (falls short of US CPL experience requirements). Requires 200 hours. Piloto Comercial de 1.Classe: Similar to the CAA CPL/FATPL under the old "self-improver" rules, or the now-defunct Canadian Senior Commercial. Requires 900 hours. Argentine ATPL: all the usual ICAO requirements.

Licensing of civil pilots is handled by the Argentine Air Force. The office that handles this is on the fifth floor of Edificio Condor in Buenos Aires, situated less than a kilometre from Retiro station if you're using the Metro to get there. Just walk down to Avenida Antartida, cross, and look for the Gloster Meteor on the pedestal in front!

[This message has been edited by Constable Clipcock (edited 07 October 2000).]

Condorito
7th Oct 2000, 08:18
Thanx everyone for the welcome and info. .
I've learnt much from what has been said so far. For those curious about Sydney 2000. The Olympics were great. It really livened up the city. Now that they are over, everyone has fallen into a deep depression. Oh well, Athens is next and the days are getting good for the beach. .
For those interested, I am doing the IFR rating at Aerospace. .pretty good so far. .
I'm originally from Chile and would love to do some flying anywhere in Latin America. Just imagine you are out on a full moon night just skimming a thick layer of cloud below. The stars are above, Los Andes on either side, and the white below. . If I ever get to do that. .well. . I'd say Ive made it. .
Anyways, if anyone gets any more info I would be grateful to see it. .
Oh I almost forgot. .And as for a Brazilian wife, unfortunately I am a littel late, I've married a Greek girl. .But hey I have nothing against girls from Ipanema. .