PDA

View Full Version : Doubt.......University or Selection???

thapyoka
26th Sep 2000, 05:58
Hello guys.....
(this is my first message, so be carefull....)
Here in Brazil we have a really bad situation at aviation. Our 4 biggest air companies are in trouble......Vasp is dying slowly or could I say fast, Tba is working together with TAM and her fleet(Tba) is "going down" (please boys, not crashing). TAM is better organized than any other company here in Brazil, but , is suffering the "Brazilians cost" like the others. And Vrg, is fighting with her big structure and "losts", but is trying to "grow up". If it´s possible..., we dont know.
This is a little explanation about our air companies, but, what I really want to know is about the selection of airplane pilots, cause , here in Brazil we have a comic situation,(but I can say a bad situation) about universities who give a theoric preparation, ( with a minimum of flying hours and really expensive costs) and pilots selection ( with 1500 Hs minimum, (it doesnt matter how they get their hs )), or finally,
old company pilots who indicate their sons to do the selection test without minimum chances to be not aproved..(if you understand me...).
So, I would like to know how does it works at EUA and in Europe? are there a minimum of hours required or a degree is enough (license)? What could be the best way to hire a pilot? exams or daddy indication...
Believe me, this is the way how it works here...
see you later...
thapyoka :)rock and roll :)

AeroBoero
26th Sep 2000, 19:45
Why do I have a feeling that I know you? :rolleyes:

Bem-vindo a bordo!!!!!

------------------
Reporte través de XAREO

[This message has been edited by AeroBoero (edited 26 September 2000).]

thapyoka
28th Sep 2000, 02:57
thanks friend...
this was just the first one, just to see how it works..... the next will be more creative... hehehe
a last notice: we have a new airliner company here in Brazil. The name: believe me or not is GOL (wat a stupid name), well, better for ex-VASP workers.
see you guys.....
rock an roll

thapyoka
28th Sep 2000, 03:45
thanks... boero
I promise that the next text I will be more creative... just for fun...
last notices from Brazil: a new airliner company is growing up, and the name: GOL
(what a f... name). can you believe it?!!!!
but its true. GOL is going to work with 7 737 (thats what I`ve heard about) and the pilot manager is a ex-VASP MD11 pilot.
so, good luck...
see you..
thapyoka
rock and roll

AeroBoero
1st Oct 2000, 01:15
thapyoka;

Don't bash the name GOL! Try to translate EasyJet to Portuguese for example! That would be odd! :)

Now a bit of advice of your old friend : use the "edit" button next time. You can add , erase or even delete the post. This will avoid Danny's disk space going to the moon (read costs). But keep coming here!

------------------
Reporte través de XAREO

JBravo
3rd Oct 2000, 00:17
Benedito novo?!?

So you really know each other...

thapyoka, good luck with your decision, even here in Europe it is a tough one. Although we have less problems with the filhinhos do capitao (if I spell it correctly). Here (in the Netherlands) the main reason for not being hired if you don't have university, is that they think people have to be a bit more mature. That's why most people can come back to the selection after a few years. Even if you didn't get any degree on the university after those years.

later..

NG_Kaptain
21st Oct 2000, 04:47
Como un Latino viviendo donde hablan ingles y volando con una compania Anglo I do appreciate the points mentioned. As far as selecting "sons of captains" in our experience they have been the best new hires that I've flown with. Generally they understand the culture of the company and have a love for flying which is much different than that of the guys (and gals) who came into flying because it payed better than being a school teacher. The pool is very small here, so somebody who has grown up around airplnes and has "hung out" with Dad and listened to the guys hangar fly most definately has a leg up when it comes to getting hired. By the way we only require 5 "O" levels, no university, otherwise we wouldn't be able to get pilots, (small country again), in spite of not having college boys we do have a fine airline.