PDA

View Full Version : Captains walkin'

larrikan larry
4th Nov 2010, 03:13
A thread earlier talked about resignations from F/O's & S/O's.

Well done guys- best career decision you could make. This ain't a place for a career anymore and good for you for getting out.
I shoulda a few years back when I had the offer.
More fool me eh?

Let me raise a point.
My belief is that the seniority system which we all cling to is on the way out.

Direct Hire Cpt & F/O's at many airlines puts paid to the seniority system.
Soon it will be 3 years here, 5 years there, with the contract stipulating that carriage to/from your preferred domicile at start/end of pattern is guaranteed.
If carriers contracts are ****ty-then word gets out and people leave. Left seat to left seat-or right to right. The idea of a "career" in an airline is a thing of the past.

I'd be interested to know how many if any CX Capts are walking.
No disrespect to S/O's or even junior F/O's- but if a few guys/gals leave the company will put it down to: doesn't like HK, wanted to go home, normal attrition.

But when Capt and longer serving F/O's leave- who have invested time with this joke of a company- when they start to leave, then the serious questions get asked.

Just my two penny's worth
;)

Capt Toss Parker
4th Nov 2010, 03:31
I can't leave ..... I'm one of the old school system rejects that wouldn't be able to get a job anywhere else.

As much as I would like to share my knowledge with more carriers and spread the wisdom, I think you guys are stuck with me.

:\

Neptunus Rex
4th Nov 2010, 04:48
Don't sell yourself short, Toss. Have a look at the Middle East threads; there seem to be plenty of senior level incompetents finding fresh inspiration in the sandpit. Another bonus - with lower humidity you should have fewer bad hair days.

spleener
8th Nov 2010, 10:34
Cap'n Toss,
RP never has never been a close personal friend of mine and probably never will be. Chances are good it is because I have known him for 30+ years!
For that reason, I found your initial postings mildly amusing and entertaining.
However, that time has passed. I now find your ramblings more reflect a Gen Y wannabee's rant, rather than anything clever.
Time to give yourself a lethal injection. RIP:zzz:

Michael Hunt
9th Nov 2010, 00:10
Spleener, unfortunately for the 99 percent of the Cathay guys that show up with a good attitude and just want to get the job done in a professional manner these blokes(insert your favourite narcissist here) consistently turn a day out flying into a very annoying, and in some cases, a career ending experience all dependent on whether these psychopaths have taken their medication or not.
It's an on going problem at Cathay and why this behaviour is tolerated in these days of CRM scrutiny and LOSA audits is one of those Cathay mysteries like five thousand foot calls and the endless crapping on about navaids on RNAV procedures.
So if the worst that happens to these "gentlemen of aviation" is that they cop a bit of stick on pprune in a generally light hearted way then I reckon they are getting off pretty lightly.
I would sack them all!!!!!
As far as Toss being a Gen Y wannabee, I would highly doubt that.
Keep up the good work Toss.
'If there's hate in your heart, let it out'.

kmagyoyo
9th Nov 2010, 03:00
Good post M.H.

I just ran into a mate at EK who will have his command in about 4 years from joining. He's never been asked a question on a line check- when he queried this once (he's ex-CX) the response was 'well I know in the first 10 minutes whether or not you know your sh!t, you obviously do, so whats the point??'

I don't know the EK training system from a bar of soap but it sounds like the attitude there is get you on line asap and then leave you to it. In comparison I've got a lifetime of answering questions (the answers to which are generally not in the FCOM), 20 years to command and Allah knows how many contract changes to look forward to.

Time to fill in the logbook and get that suit dry cleaned.

treboryelk
9th Nov 2010, 03:46
just give me a 2 for tech and get on with it!

Fly747
9th Nov 2010, 04:06
There has been a continual exodus of A330 Captains from KA mainly to Air China for a Sydney base but now FRA is possible too.
They now have a higher seniority than all of us over in Big Brother!

The Wraith
9th Nov 2010, 14:25
Oooooh, Spleener,
Thou dost protest too much!:=

geh065
9th Nov 2010, 22:43
Krone,

I thought KA was adding flights and routes dropped during the downturn in China and Fukuoka? That is expansion isn't it?

MrClaus
10th Nov 2010, 00:11
I agree Krone. I think Swire are going to be given an offer that they can't refuse. Makes me think if it is not wiser now to jump for one of these based contract jobs than to wait passively for the house of cards to fall around me in Hong Kong?