PDA

View Full Version : Operation Black Buck

skw88
3rd Nov 2010, 16:14
Hello, I'm doing some research around the Operation Black Buck in 1982 when British jets carried out the longest-range air attack in history on the landing strip at Port Stanley.

I'm really keen to hear from people who might have known people involved, been involved themselves, heard interesting and untold stories surrounding this operation; anything to do with it - I'd love to hear from you!

Let the discussion commense!

Thank you! :)

TEEEJ
3rd Nov 2010, 18:12
Probably the best course of action is to search through the various posts relating to Black Buck on PPRuNe. Every perspective on Black Buck has probably been posted over the years?

http://www.pprune.org/search.php?searchid=7038839

TJ

Phileas Fogg
3rd Nov 2010, 18:35
Theb target was actually Stanley Airport, not an Argentine landing strip!

caiman27
4th Nov 2010, 11:12
You could always try reading the book... Vulcan 607 :ok:

skw88
4th Nov 2010, 11:46
I have the book Vulcan 607 - very informative!

What I'm really interested in finding is people with stories that are untold, different perspectives and quirky tales related to the operation?

Especially interested in the prep for the op, people involved in the training and such like?

Trying to gather information for a potential programme looking back at this operation.

Yellow Sun
4th Nov 2010, 14:55
I should be interested to know what steps you have taken so far to further your knowledge of the operation, other than reading Vulcan 607; which is hardly source material. Freedman would be a much better starting point. Have you searched in the National Archives for any snippets others may have missed?

It would also be useful if you could explain what use you intend for any information you might glean and your previous involvement with similar programmes.

The main participants told their stories years ago and there really is little or nothing left to tell.

YS

sled dog
9th Nov 2010, 19:09
A sad troll ? What more is there to learn ?

bingofuel
9th Nov 2010, 19:36
If you want a different opinion, read Sharkey Wards book for an alternative view of the value of 'Black Buck'.

PPRuNe Pop
9th Nov 2010, 21:21
Google is probably your last stop!

Phileas Fogg
9th Nov 2010, 22:57
YouTube - Harrier First Strike on Port Stanley 1982 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YuFCtKoHCs)

Tankertrashnav
12th Nov 2010, 11:18
The main participants told their stories years ago and there really is little or nothing left to tell.

I think that is a rather discouraging point of view. Black Buck took place around 28 years ago. The battle of Culloden, for example, took place 265 years ago yet people are still writing books about it. Imagine a historian having access to a soldier who fought in the battle who had previously not been asked to describe his experiences.

I know several tankers guys who flew on Black Buck who were not consulted when Vulcan 607 was being written. Not sure if they have anything earth-shattering to add, but it would good if they were given the chance while they are still around.