PDA

View Full Version : Work permit/sponsor

Whiteknight68
3rd Nov 2010, 14:47
Hi guys,

I am looking for a sponsor to work in the US as a flight instructor (CFI/CFII).

Any idea??:confused:

I checked the embassy internet site and looked all the different ways. Now waiting for the results of the lottery in May 2011. Another way is to get married, of course, but she is waiting to love me. It could take forever because I can only visit every few months. Or, to have 1 million bucks to start a business (don't have it :\ already spent on flight training)
And, I wish to fly in Portland, Oregon or will have to commute.

How can I convince an employer to sponsor me?? Are they any major flight training organization in need of CFI's helping?

Any suggestion, idea, or help will be greatly appreciate.

Whitenight68:ok:

Squawk7777
4th Nov 2010, 21:29
Winning the lottery doesn't mean that you'll qualify for a green card. There's a secondary selection process. You have to meet certain categories for the embassy to accept you. You can find some more in-depth information here (http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1319.html).

I usually hate to bring people the bad news, but I still prefer doing it than lying and make things look better than they actually are: Your chances are pretty slim. But remember, that there are more ways to Rome than just one. And never ever give up. Good luck!

OFBSLF
4th Nov 2010, 22:39
There are thousands of pilots who are US citizens looking for work. Your chances are between slim and none, and Slim just left town.

Whiteknight68
5th Nov 2010, 14:05
Thank you everybody for the answers.:D

I know it is very difficult, the chance is very slim, but I will try again and again.:ok:

Whiteknight68
5th Nov 2010, 14:14
Thank you for the info on the lottery.:D

It looks like Airline transport Pilot qualify to continue the process.
I just need to get it now.
Did not find anything for flight instructor.:sad:

Whiteknight68

tu144
7th Nov 2010, 23:07
Why cant you instruct somewhere closer to home?

Whiteknight68
9th Nov 2010, 14:15
yes, I could get a job closer to home, but I want to get closer to my girlfriend and she lives in Portland.

tu144
9th Nov 2010, 16:58
Ye the only way is to marry her. I dont think any flying jobs sponsor pilots on visa to come fly here. You can try to get a regular job some companies do sponsor people for that. Or you can get a flight school to sponsor you if you want to come for some additional training here. Sometimes those schools let you stay longer and instruct after you finished the training, and its legal certain visas allow for that.

Squawk7777
9th Nov 2010, 19:07
Is the J-1 visa still possible/available?

MontyB.
10th Nov 2010, 13:33
before reading here Diversity Visa - List of Occupations (http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1319.html)

you should read here Diversity Visa (DV) Lottery Program (http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1322.html)

in particular:
Qualifying Occupations

The law and regulations require that every diversity visa entrant must have at least a high school education or its equivalent or have, within the past five years, two years of work experience in an occupation requiring at least two years' training or experience. To learn more about qualifying occupations, see the Diversity Visa Instructions Frequently Asked Questions and the List of Occupations webpage.

So if you have an high school education is sufficient to get a GC (obviously if you win..... :)).

Hope this help ;)

Whiteknight68
12th Nov 2010, 13:34
MontyB,

Flight instructor is Zone 3 education and SNP 6 to less than 7.
it is not good enough to qualify!

But, like you tell us, we have to care about the OR and in this case, having a high school diploma is good enough.

Thanks!:ok:

Whiteknight

MungoP
13th Nov 2010, 09:15
OK.. here's the scenario of your dreams... you win the lottery.. you arrive in the US... you're living with your lady... and you've been offered a job as a flying instructor.. :)

Now... here's the scenario of your nightmares...you win the lottery.. you arrive in the US... you're living with your lady... and you've been offered a job as a flying instructor... :(

The sad truth is that after working (sorry, slaving) at being a flying instructor.. something that your girlfriend will very quickly become disillusioned with when she sees no money coming in...you'll eventually have enough hours to work as an FO for some regional outfit that will pay (if it pays at all) minimum wage...The streets in the US are not paved with gold... and while you're on minimum wage with little or no health cover just pray that you don't need any healthcare.... I have company healthcare that nevertheless carries a substantial 'co-pay' ie .. I would still have to come up with a hefty sum of money in the event of needing treatment.. and that healthcare plan is one of the better ones as I'm with a decent company on an above average income... the healthcare plan costs them $1400 per month and me a hundred or so per month...you would get the absolute minimum required by law.

non0
13th Nov 2010, 14:28
... US is the most pilots unemployed country in the world ... US pilots are in a diaspora (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaspora) all over the world and with the highest divorce rate ever. Nowadays in US is definitely more convenient became a lawyer.
China is the future, but not the present!
MENA could be attractive if you are not Jewish!
US and EU ... forget about it for the next 10 years!

ObiWon
13th Nov 2010, 15:17
If I want to go to Wizz Air, can I get EU and Poland work authorization? Do you have a lottery for me? I.E. Quid Pro Quo!

non0
13th Nov 2010, 17:35
... go East and you want have problem finding EU green card!

MontyB.
14th Nov 2010, 15:21
If I want to go to Wizz Air, can I get EU and Poland work authorization? Do you have a lottery for me? I.E. Quid Pro Quo!

Here you can find several information about Wizz Air:

Wizz Air - PILOT CAREER CENTER (http://pilotcareercenter.com/Air-Carrier-PCC-Profile/1925/Wizz+Air)

You are lucky, they are hiring now!

Unfortunately in EU there is not a Visa Lottery for foreigners.

Hope this help

Whiteknight68
14th Nov 2010, 16:59
Hi guys,

Thanks for the infos!

I know it is bad in the USA, but it can't be worse than in Europe.
Get the 1st class medical for 450 Euros!
Pay landing fees!
No jobs if yo are older that 50!

and .....and....

And I wantto go there for LOVE:ok:

Dupre
17th Nov 2010, 18:31
Sorry for a bit of thread creep...

What about bush flying in Alaska? Is that very competitive to get into? Any chance a foreigner with some bush time could get sponsorship to work up there?

fernytickles
17th Nov 2010, 21:31
Pilots are ten-a-penny (or a-dime-a-dozen) in the US. For every pilot job posted, there's dozens of unemployed, experienced pilots clamouring at the door. No company has any need to get involved in the cost and complication of sponsoring someone for a green card. It is an employers market at the moment.

Serse
25th Nov 2010, 10:12
Unfortunately you cannot work in US as pilot without a GC

Serse
25th Nov 2010, 16:37
BTW, when you buy a house in the US, do you get a visa to have the riht to live? after 5 years there, then you become a us citizen.

Really? Where have you read this?