PDA

View Full Version : DGCA CPL or ATPL conversion ?

rahulred5
1st Nov 2010, 13:25
Hello all ,
Before I start I would like to give a little bit of background information. I am an Indian citizen with an FAA CFI/II/MEI currently enrolled in an ATP programme with a flight school in Texas. As part of this programme I do flight instruction without pay to build hours towards an FAA ATP. In return for instruction since I cannot be paid due to M1 visa restrictions I have been offered a fully paid A320 TR. I am currently halfway through the course and should be done in a year's time.
I have started the process for DGCA conversion already based on my FAA CPL. I've cleared the Regs paper on the first attempt and making a serious attempt on the nav paper this time which I hopefully will clear in Nov.
Now my question is , is it better to wait to get my FAA ATP to convert to a DGCA ATPL or would it be more efficient to continue to convert to a DGCA CPL ?
Another question I have is regarding TRTO's in the USA , does the DGCA accept a TR from all FAA recognised TRTO's ? Would I need any DGCA specific paperwork to be filled up when I do my 320 TR ?

Thanks for answering all these questions.
Regards

niksmathew24
2nd Nov 2010, 06:21
IMO

Get an ATPL, then convert it. Less headaches compared to converting it two times.
DGCA accepts TR only if its done from a "DGCA APPROVED TRTO". Also you need an NOC from them before you go do it and there are quite a few papers to be filled.

Canuck15
2nd Nov 2010, 14:08
I would suggest strongly that you get an FAA ATP and get the type rating on it . My friend niks your slightly misinformed ...since when do you need dgca approval to do a type on a an FAA ticket ....

shanx
2nd Nov 2010, 16:36
Though it seems weird that an "approval" or "NOC" is required to train in USA or other countries, from a country's authority which was almost downgraded by the FAA for well known reasons, that's the way it is unfortunately and there's nothing much we can do about it.

niksmathew24
3rd Nov 2010, 03:39
@canuck

since when do you need dgca approval to do a type on a an FAA ticket

You don't need an approval to do a type on FAA ticket. Am talking about getting it endorsed on a DGCA license.
Also if the holder wants to work in India, the TR should be endorsed on his Indian license and not his FAA license. And I think that is what the person doing the inquiry wants to know.

sam8808
3rd Nov 2010, 10:11
hey rahul, was wondering which school you're doing your FAA training at?