PDA

View Full Version : Lets hear from the Latinos

RRC767
6th Sep 2000, 06:24
Where has everybody gone? We haven't had a post in this forum for at least 4 days. Come on people let's speak up and put our local problems in the air. A lot of heads think together may bring good ideas to the stage.
What about the upstart GOL? How about Vasp? Does TAM really have the dough to buy out TBA? Don´t think so. Who thinks TBA is pulling out of this pit by herself? Any alliances in the near future. RioSul is startin new svc from GIG to CGH with one flt ea way. People in BArra da Tijuca will be able to park in JAcarepagua arpt and take an air conditioned bus to GIG via Yellow Line.
Come on lets get to it. Lots to talk about.

AeroBoero
6th Sep 2000, 18:54
RRC767 ;

Good iniciative.....
I've been thinking on what to post next , but as I'm out of there , my recent knowledge over how things are going is zill.......
What we need is to this forum to be knowed on "DO's" and "salas AIS" so more people can find the way to here and make this forum really take-off.............
I have already sent and e-mail to the DAC to put a link to pprune on their site , but they say it only will happen when they get major changes again. Not anytime soon I guess but eventually it will be posted there too.
Just don't put this link on the "AeroMagazine" site...or that poor lot will try to come here and then'I'm trouble with Danny!

------------------
Reporte través de XAREO

Tom the Tenor
6th Sep 2000, 23:32
It is good that there is some debate at last appearing on this thread. Hey, Aeroboero, I am really keen to hear more about the people at Aeromagazine!! Moving away slightly, a friend of a friend recently flew from San Jose, CR to Madrid on Cubana and I am curious to know what type of aircraft normally flies the SJO to Havana sector? Leased Transaer A320s or do Cubana still have Yak-42s? Thank you, TTT.

AeroBoero
8th Sep 2000, 16:28
Tom ;

"Aeromagazine" is a Brazilian magazine that has its own website. They host a forum over there...but not moderated or anything close to here or other BB that I know. As a result it was invaded by people who have nothing better to do than say BS all day and assume others nick and so on. It was a serious place sometime in the past...but not anymore. Thats why I "harassed" Danny to make this section. I know it is still lurking...but I'm glad that people are coming here.

------------------
Reporte través de XAREO

Bokkerijder
10th Sep 2000, 21:51
Hi guys !

I too have a soft spot for Latin America (especially after having lived in Miami for 2 years !) and it's a shame that there are so few opportunities for 'extranjeros' out there.
How are you doing AeroBoero ?

------------------
-) There's a problem in the cockpit.
*) Really, what is it ?
-) It's a little room in front of the airplane where the pilots sit, but that's not important right now.

[This message has been edited by Bokkerijder (edited 10 September 2000).]

AeroBoero
14th Sep 2000, 00:50
Bokkerijder;

Gewoon bijna gek!De motief? Dat kantoor in Hoofdorp..... :mad:

Well...or the Latinos haven't much to say or I'm doing a sloppy job trying to get people comming here...well.....maybe if we could put some "caipirinhas" here.... :) :) :) (bet you didn't go to Brazilian bar in Miami Bok?

------------------
Reporte través de XAREO

Tom the Tenor
14th Sep 2000, 12:43
This thread is once again being given a kiss of life to keep it going! Just wondering what it is like now in Surinam - is there still much Dutch influence? How safe are landings there? I still remember with sadness the Surinam Airways DC-8 lost at Parmaribo, was she not on her third approach when she went down. What was the cause, weather or fuel? Kind regards, TTT.

AeroBoero
14th Sep 2000, 17:50
Tom ;
If you a want to experience a piece of Surinam , catch a plane and come here to AMS (save you from the 9 or so hours of Atlantic crossing :)). Then ask for the Taxi driver......wait no , get a train to downtown (cheaper).....then at the Central Station descend to the Metro (not known as Underground here) and if I'm not wrong (don't do this myself) you take the line 50....jump out at the "Bijlmeer" station....that is a piece of Suriname right here in Holland.....oh and go watch Tv at your hotel.....is funny seeing that Brazilian "like" landscape (maybe because they're still in the Amazon? :) )and people speaking Dutch (as you Irish speaks English comapared to Brits or Scots [no offence here please] :))......
Now...about the aviation there...me..I dont know too much....they only have one flight to Brazil that goes to Belem (Bethlehem) in north Brazil....and that is it. But the kind of flying must be very similar to what we regard in Barzil as "vôo de garimpo" on a more understandable term can be regarded as Bush flying....you need to be good on your skills to fly in that condition......

Hope it helped.... ;)

------------------
Reporte través de XAREO

Tom the Tenor
17th Sep 2000, 18:21
Thanks, Aeroboero, for the info. I got a jumpseat ride on an BAe 146 over and back from EICK to EHAM about 2 years ago and if I had known I'd have asked the drivers to make a slow fly-by at low level over Bijlmeer to get a better appreaciation of Surinam in der Nederlanden! In your post you mentioned what is to me my Holy Grail when you speak about northern Brazil. I dream about setting up in either Recife, Salvador or Fortaleza. I am kind of attracted to Recife as Olinda is so nearby but the kind of airport each place has plays a small factor as well because with age I find myself drawing back to my roots where it is just fab to be able to watch airplanes land and take off. You can not believe how moved I was by another thread that went in to detail about being at the Sugarloaf end of the threshold at Santos Dumont where after the sirens and lights light up you could simply move to the side and watch the A319s and B737-300/500s land and wave away to your heart's content to the crews. That must be so good. Thank you, TTT

JBravo
18th Sep 2000, 04:15
TTT,

Regarding Surinam Airways and the Dutch influence. KLM is the only one that flies to Paramaribo from Amsterdam at still redicilous high prices because of the monopoly. But sometimes the KLM 747 is flown by a Surinam airways crew.

JB

------------------
Fokker ruled

Tom the Tenor
19th Sep 2000, 22:22
Hi JBravo, I travelled to Costa Rica last year and for the heck of it I enquired about how much it would be to fly EICK-EHAM and from there to San Jose via KMIA on Martinair and the price quoted turned out to be very high indeed at about IR£970, ie $1100 so I know what you mean when you speak of monopolistic high prices on KLM flights from EHAM to Parmaribo. In the end I flew to KJFK on EI, down to KMIA on AA, overnight, and down to MROC the follwing morning again on AA maximising the number of flights I could get out of the trip! Thank, TTT.

Contrails
23rd Sep 2000, 05:36
Hello friends.
Do you work for an airline?

Tom the Tenor
23rd Sep 2000, 15:59
Hi Contrails, As for myself I do not work for an airline, I just love aeroplanes and have done for the last 25 years or so in Cork, Ireland and for the first 15 years or so it was hard work because Cork Airport was kind of quiet to say the least with not too much traffic and a fair amount of bad weather below CAT II minima, never mind CAT I. I have visited Costa Rica where frends of mine have lived for about 2 years. I think all the other contributors to this tread are pilots or work for an airline. I work as a telephone switchboard operator in a call centre. Thank you, TTT.

Contrails
23rd Sep 2000, 23:40
Hello Tom, nice to me you.
It´s a pleasure to have contact with pilots or any kind of aviation enthusiasts around the world. I live in South America and I was looking for a good forum page and found this one specific for "Latin Americans".
You asked about an accident in Paramaribo, with a DC8. It was a long time ago but if I can remember after the sequences of "go-arounds" the pilot lost control and hit the ground on final. I flew to that airport in the past.There is a good runway but just non precision approaches (VOR and NDB). Cayenne, about 60 minutes from Paramaribo, has an ILS, and is a good (for that region) alternate in case of poor weather. I dont´t know why they decided to land 3 times before looking for an alternate.
Regards...
(Sorry about my English but I really tried to do my best)

Tom the Tenor
24th Sep 2000, 21:06
Thank you, Contrails for the information about the DC-8 at Paramaribo. My memory may be failing me but I think the aircraft was American registered(?) so the accident report might be available on the NTSB website.

I have just read today that Varig Cargo as we know it is to be shut down and will be replaced with a new operation called Varig Logistica with two DC-10-30Fs, six B727-100Fs and the plan is to eventually get five B747-200Fs from Lufthansa. What is the feeling on the ground at Sao Paulo and Rio about this? Will pay scales and conditions remain the same as with Varig? My first flight to mainland Europe was on Iberia to Barcelona in November, 1991 and after landing and entering the termimal the first aircraft I saw was a taxiing Varig Cargo DC-8-63F and she looked so good decked out in the old colour scheme in the late afternoon sun. It was great!

I wonder if the Air Arm of the Brazilian Navy is looking for new people to man her new aircraft carrier, the ex-French Navy Foch!? Brazil will shortly be taking delivery of refurbished ex-U S Navy A-4 Skyhawks and I guess it would be pretty cool to earn one's carrier qualifictions on such a classic military jet!

By the way you need not worry at all about your command of English - it is very good. If I was able to speak some Portuguese to one quarter of the level that you speak English I would be so proud of myself I would all ready be on my way to the Sugarloaf end of the threshold at Santos Dumont! Kind regards, TTT.

Contrails
25th Sep 2000, 18:43
You're right Tom. In fact, that DC8-62 had an "N" registration. By the way, when I said that J.A. Pengel (Zandery) didn't have an ILS I meant it was not operational. Anyway, every time I went to Paramaribo no ILS approaches were provided.
Varig is preparing for this year a new cargo trading. New airplanes can come, some B727-200 and B747-200, but until now everything is non official. Wet leased pilots or a new group can be used and Varig's pilot association is very aprehensive.
Sorry Tom, but did you really see a DC8 with Varig's colours? I'm not sure about that, since only Vasp, another Brazilian carrier, had some samples of this airplane in the past. Varig had a lot of wet leased cargo airplanes, but none had its colours, only Varig call-signs were used. Anyway I'll check it.
Unfortunately military airplanes aren't my area. I saw on local media many complaints about the "new" aircraft carrier and the A4's. Everything related to military is obscure and, in my opinion, we have many problems to solve before buying new war devices.
See you Tom...