PDA

View Full Version : EU-OPS home standby question

D30
31st Oct 2010, 20:39
Hi guys, first post!

I work for an airline, which although in Europe, is not in the European Union. Our FDRs come under EU OPS.

The crewing department are absolutely terrible and call us day and night.

My question is; if I have home standby starting at 5am and they call me the night before at around 11pm to let me know that I have briefing at 6am, is this allowed?

I was under the impression that all duties have a pre-duty rest requirement of 12 hours.

Thanks for your help!

D

Phileas Fogg
31st Oct 2010, 22:34
D30,

You must have the required rest period, pertinent to your previous duty, immediately before your next duty so if you are being called at 2300, before an 0500, or 0600, commencement of duty then the operator are illegally disturbing your rest period.

Many would prefer to know the evening before rather than a call 1 hour before, at an unearthly hour of the morning, to get your panties on and brain in gear etc. but that's not the point, if you are required, perhaps, an 11 or 12 hour rest period, at least a minimum of 8 hours horizontal (in bed) rest, before your 0500 commencent of duty then they need to call you before 1700/1800, and not later, to inform you of a change of duty or they leave it until the commencement of your standby duty to call you.

D30
1st Nov 2010, 19:15
If they do disturb my required rest period, am I allowed to ask for a new rest period?

Phileas Fogg
1st Nov 2010, 21:19
D30,

Something of a grey area but were they calling you at 2300, when your standby is due to start at 0500, to inform you of a 1200 report then they are providing you with a minimum rest notice period for a change of duty.

But to call you at 2300 for an 0600 report, common sense, just using their knowledge if they even understand the regulations, dictates that they should delay calling you until the start of your standby at 0500 so, yes, you are within your rights to complain that they have interupted your rest period etc. but not knowing the mentality of the operator you work for might such a protest impact upon your employment status?

I once worked for an airline whereas mis-trained staff believed they could call a crew member, as in your situation, once the crew member had had 12 hours rest after their previous duty, I tried, and tried, to explain to them, to the effect, why the hell would a crew member need a (legal) rest period after a duty, to go to a bar or whatever, they need the rest period immediately before a (the next) duty!