PDA

View Full Version : Stansted owned by Ryanair?

Finman
31st Oct 2010, 10:29
What a bunch of cheapsqueaker ar#holes at Stansted. Had to pay to access passenger pick up area to collect visiting friends. Time in the area 2 minutes. Charge: £2.00 = £60 an hour for 'parking'. Any other airport in the UK run by such a bunch of cheapskates?

h&s
31st Oct 2010, 10:45
yes, Luton!
£1 per pick-up / drop off
absolutely ridiculous

daz211
31st Oct 2010, 10:49
Why title the way you did ?
Are you saying that the pick-up car park fee goes to Ryanair ? NO i dont think you are so why put Ryanair in the title ?
Some Airports charge to drop people off NOT STANSTED !

Now if you just think about it for one second, if there were no charge for the pick-up carpark it would be full as people like you coming to the Airport to meet friend and family would park up go in to the terminal for a coffee maybe even a bite to eat this would mean that your car would be parked in the car park for alot longer than needed and proventing a quick and easy pick up operation in the car park.

It is a charge that is needed for operational needs .

Stansted Short Stay 15 Minute Pick-up prices
Duration Price
Up to 15 minutes £2.00
15 - 25 minutes £5
25 - 45 minutes £12
45 minutes - 2 hours £30

The way you have shown the price is also misleading it is not £1 per min.

ATNotts
31st Oct 2010, 10:52
If you mean the pick up and drop off parking charges, then welcome to the real world.

BHX have been doing it for some time, EMA no longer permits free parking - and screws you with a CC handling fee if you're stupid enough to put you Visa or Mastercard into their parking machine.

2 minutes free however does seem a tad cynical!

One thing is for certain, most UK airports have made a killing from the various security measures that have been put in (liquids, drop off at the terminal, "express" security channels) - it's a disgrace.

Incidentally, I picked up my parents, one of whom cannot walk so well at the moment, at Düsseldorf 2 weeks ago. I could have driven to the front of the arrivals area and loaded them in to car FOC, and without hindrance. I was prepared to, but a member of the ground handling team not only wheeled my mother out of the arrivals hall, but then insisted in pushing her in the airport wheelchair all the way to car park 7, without charge. I tipped him handsomly, as I know only too well how little service she would have been given here in UK, and how much that precious little assistance would have been likely to cost.

We don't NEED some of this security in UK - but it certainly serves to make air travel to and from this country an unpleasant and expensive experience, and one which I avoid wherever possible - to the benefit to Eurotunnel!

Finman
31st Oct 2010, 10:56
Why title the way you did ?

Thought it was obvious. Cheapskate policies are Ryanairs stock-in-trade. Now apparently adopted by the BAA....

h&s
31st Oct 2010, 10:57
It's true it's not going to ryanair, but it's clearly a copy from ryanair regressive model.
For the operational issue, there are many big airports where pick up / drop off is well managed and without a charge.

At Luton now, there are drop off fees and even trolley fees, I do think these services should be free, but it's now everywhere that formerly "cost" are transformed into "revenue", this is a shame, but Londoners have the choice with 5 airports, a bit more public transport and you can avoid these rip off

Finman
31st Oct 2010, 10:58
if there were no charge for the pick-up carpark it would be full as people like you

Also obvious. You get 15 minutes free to pickup and are charged for any longer....seeemmples! (with acknowledgment to the Meekcat fraternity)

compton3bravo
31st Oct 2010, 13:29
If you go to mid-term at Luton you get 30 minutes free then short ride to terminal. But as I have said many times before the UK is an absolute rip off compared to most European countries and it looks like it is going to get worse with rail fares increasing etc. On a similar tack but not aviation relevant - the price of a season ticket at Bayern Munich in the Bundesliga is the equivalent of 120 pounds - about 4.20 pounds per game and to go to the top horse race meeting in France entrance fee 9 Euros compared to 50 Pounds in the UK - see what I mean!

Alsacienne
31st Oct 2010, 22:28
With no Stansted expansion on the runway front for the present, the airport authority needs to raise cash by any means and from anyone. It's just simply a question of money making. A misleading title for this thread IMHO.

markch2000
1st Nov 2010, 13:47
Stansted is a low cost airport, full of low cost carriers.

Therefore it will adopt certain 'characteristics' of low cost carriers.

Thus they will charge for things which are non-essential such as passenger pick ups from the door of the terminal. Passengers understand they are buying a flight from a low cost carrier, and therefore understand there will be additional charges to pay.

They are not hidden. BAA is doing nothing wrong.

wowzz
1st Nov 2010, 15:10
I think that to pick out Stansted in isolationis unfair [I cannot believe I just typed that!]
Can any SLF out there inform us which airports do have a 'free' short-stay car-park, for stays of, say, 10 minutes or less.

Hotel Tango
1st Nov 2010, 16:13
Birmingham offer 15 mins free in the long stay with a bus connection to the terminal. The short stay if a pound for 10 minutes and a new mortgage for any time after that. Occupancy of the short stay at any one time is about 10% of available spaces. They would probably make more income by providing more reasonable rates for the first hour or two.

rethymnon
1st Nov 2010, 16:32
i live within about 30min car ride from stansted. if you like being herded through a big hangar-like shopping mall (soulless at that!) ok. however, within 50 min public transport ride is the friendly alternative: city airport. ok, for some european destinations, you change planes, in our case geneva or zurich, but with 30 min check in and a breeze through security....?

ExXB
1st Nov 2010, 18:10
Can any SLF out there inform us which airports do have a 'free' short-stay car-park, for stays of, say, 10 minutes or less.Not in the UK, but GVA gives you 15 minutes free in both the drop-off, or pick-up parks. After that it quickly escalates.

WHBM
1st Nov 2010, 18:42
With no Stansted expansion on the runway front for the present, the airport authority needs to raise cash by any means and from anyone.
I'm not quite certain which Economics course you may have attended, but this logic is surely irrational. With NO new runway to build, and the existing facilities, none of which have had major investment in the last 10 years or more, nicely utilised, there is surely no additional need to "raise cash by any means" beyond the daily operating costs, which should be adequately covered by the existing charging structures.

Alsacienne
1st Nov 2010, 22:32
I used to live at the end of the runway. There is strong local feeling about possible expansion of the airport, which has currently been put into abeyance.

(Logic doesn't always enter into my world.:))

PAXboy
1st Nov 2010, 22:49
WHBMthere is surely no additional need to "raise cash by any means" beyond the daily ...... requirements of the shareholders? :E

EW73
2nd Nov 2010, 02:41
Local rumour that Brisbane (YBBN) is also about to go down that path (pun intended) for both domestic and international terminals, which are separately located.

Pretty soon that ultra-expensive (private) train service will be the cheap alternative to the airport!

EW73 :uhoh:

Smoketrails
2nd Nov 2010, 06:12
ATNotts, that's German grundlichkeid for you! Anyway, comparing DUS with BHX is like comparing sh*t with silk! DUS is a well organised airport with clear areas to park close to the terminal with a max waiting time of 15 min free of charge. BHX...must I explain...?!

Anyway, I do understand why airports charge for short term parking as it keeps the flow going in and around the terminal. The thing that annoys us Brits is the BAA have turned it into a security excuse so they can milk the customer for a couple of quid.

Alsacienne
2nd Nov 2010, 07:29
Anyway, I do understand why airports charge for short term parking as it keeps the flow going in and around the terminal. The thing that annoys us Brits is the BAA have turned it into a security excuse so they can milk the customer for a couple of quid.

+1 for STN as mentioned earlier!

wowzz
2nd Nov 2010, 09:52
So, in the absence of any evidence to the contrary [and I don't think 15 minutes in a long stay car-park counts - surely the bus trip to the terminal and back takes that long, with waiting time included] STN is no better and no worse than any other UK airport, with regard to car-parking charges. A bit unfair therefore to single it out.

Papillon
2nd Nov 2010, 10:41
Local rumour that Brisbane (YBBN) is also about to go down that path (pun intended) for both domestic and international terminals, which are separately located.

And indeed you already have to pay $5 for the shuttle bus taking you between the terminals if you are transferring.

gobfa
2nd Nov 2010, 16:12
EMA no longer permits free parking

Incorrect, CP6 gives 60 mins free with bus to/from terminal

East Midlands Airport : Car Parking (http://www.eastmidlandsairport.com/emaweb.nsf/Content/CarParking)