PDA

View Full Version : General strike in France 02 Nov to 06 Nov - impact on flights to Spain?

airborne_artist
30th Oct 2010, 16:15
Mrs AA and I are going to Barcelona from Gatwick with EZY on the morning of the 4th November, which seems to be the peak day of the strike that has been announced.

Any educated guesses on the impact to flights to Spain? How did it play out in the earlier strikes?

30th Oct 2010, 17:25
The only day of action ( or inaction) announced in France is the 6th November.
The refinery workers have voted to go back to work so I would imagine the action will decline.
THere is no mention on France24 - FRANCE - latest news report on France, French politics, French society, culture and economy (http://www.france24.com/en/france) of the dates you mention

airborne_artist
30th Oct 2010, 17:31
Thanks 77 - EZY must be muddled - General Strike in France: 2nd of November till the 6th of November (http://easyjethotels.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3970)

al446
30th Oct 2010, 17:45
I would stick with watching the EZY site if I had flights booked. Up to you.

30th Oct 2010, 19:21
Very difficult to second guess. If you speak to British Airways staff in TLS or BOD they love "general strikes" in France because very often the low cost airlines cancel leaving plenty of space in French airspace for them to operate on schedule.
I realise this doesn't help much if you are booked with EZY.
It is possible to operate to Spain without flying through France but that would mean extra cost to the airline.

Alsacienne
31st Oct 2010, 08:30
As a French resident, I would question the dates given in the Easyjet website. The next 'general' strike is called for SATURDAY 6 NOVEMBER, which was announced with that of 28 October at least a week ago, as required by French law.

IMHO, I think it's a case of Easyjet warning the general public of disruption to minimise problems for themselves in encouraging the public to transfer their flights to other days.

And it all depends on where you are flying to or from in Spain. There are air corridors that avoid French airspace (though which are likely to be fuller than normal, hence a short delay).

Incidentally, the ATC personnel are normally asked to 'disrupt 30-50%' of air traffic not stop it completely. Just unfortunate if your flight is in this particular category.

AA - I'd like to know where you found the information that 4 November would be the peak day. It doesn't ring true with any local knowledge. That said, I hope you and Mrs AA get away on time and have a great holiday.

airborne_artist
31st Oct 2010, 09:28
Alsacienne

EZY's page says "The strike will commence on the 2nd of November 2010 and will last until the 6th of November 2010 with significant number of participants attending the strike on the 4th."

so I assumed that the 4th would be the worst day. Seems odd to have a general strike on a Saturday, though? Most of the strikes in France are on Tuesdays or Thursdays normally.

OFSO
31st Oct 2010, 17:36
Monitoring events across the border, I have the impression that now the legislation is in force, the strikers are beginning to lose heart. Anyone care to comment ?

Alsacienne
31st Oct 2010, 22:25
Sorry guys! You cannot assume anything based on what day of the week it is.

There is NO industrial action in France at the moment ... not least because it's the half term holiday and tomorrow is the All Saints (Toussaint) bank holiday.

The schools go back on Thursday 4 November but the next day of strike action declared as legally required by the government by the trades unions is for SATURDAY 6 NOVEMBER and nothing further has been mentioned.

It is probably a 'cover my back' situation at EZY. There IS NO NATIONAL STRIKE on Thursday 4 November, unless anyone can show me proof emanating from a French trades union or the police. This is not true information from EZY ... but it will save face for them if they have flight disruption on that day.

I think that the industrial action phase is past its peak ... ok I could be wrong ... but winter is coming, the fuel is moving now and people will have Christmas indulgence on their minds ...

ExXB
1st Nov 2010, 11:01
Not squeezy, but this Industrial action might have an effect.

French flight attendants to strike over travel perks
November 1, 2010 - 11:34AM
French airline staff unions called on Saturday for a four-day strike starting November 5 in protest at new legislation that will reduce some discounts on plane tickets.

The legislation, unrelated to President Nicolas Sarkozy's recently approved pension reform, would mean airline personnel will have to pay tax on discounted plane tickets -- and other perks such as cut-price hotel rooms -- not provided by their direct employer, unions said.

Both the SNPNC flight attendant union and the SNPL France pilots' union called for a strike from November 5 to November 8.

Advertisement: Story continues below
The relevant article of law has already been approved but the government would still be able to amend it before the legislation reaches the French Senate, the SNPL union said.

The SNPNC represents 25 per cent of flight attendants at Air France and also has an "important presence" at other French airlines, a union official said.

Separately, six unions at Air France have called for a strike on Nov. 4 against Sarkozy's pension reform.

ReutersI won't comment on the reason for the strike :yuk: but I'm not sure what this has to do with their employer(s)

Summer breeze
1st Nov 2010, 13:51
Not sure if this helps or not, was delayed for nearly two hours flying Valencia - Dusseldorf last Thursday afternoon due to strike in France.

Lufthansa being the carrier.

Alsacienne
1st Nov 2010, 22:37
due to strike in France

Et bien je jamais!!

We are NOT ON STRIKE in France!! But today IS a bank holiday, TOUSSAINT, and because it fell on a Monday and during the half term holidays, a lot of France is on the move enjoying a long weekend, which may have meant that more of us were in the air and disrupting the amount of traffic in the air corridors!

Jaynew
3rd Nov 2010, 07:48
Alsacienne, I think maybe if you look at Summer Breezes comments, she was talking about a flight last Thursday which was indeed affected by strike action over France. Also I think you will find that there will be strike action again this Thursday 4th November - just tapped 'greve 4 novembre' into Google and comes up with a lot of info including -

Greve Air France 4 novembre 2010 : Trafic perturbé (temps réel).
Prévisions trafic : Grève à Air France le jeudi 4 novembre 2010 contrela réforme des retraites ce qui annonce un trafic très perturbé à Orly, Roissy et dans toute la France. Les syndicats CFDT, CFTC, CGT, FO, Ugict-CGT et Unsa estime que “Cette réforme résonne comme une double peine à nos yeux.

Air traffic has been affected quite heavily but I suggest to anyone due to travel by plane is to keep an eye on the carriers website ie Ryanair, Easyjet etc as if they do decide to cancel, the info is normally placed on the website straight away.

Bigscotdaddy
3rd Nov 2010, 08:04
Interestingly enough, the warning on Easyjet's website was toned down last night suggesting that the effects of any action was going to less than previosly expected and mentioning the possibility of some disruption, but no mention of the word 'cancellation' anymore.

This morning however, the warning has been removed completely and there is no mention of the strike!

I wonder if the action has been cancelled or reduced?

Bigscotdaddy
3rd Nov 2010, 09:06
Notice back on Easyjet website as from 9.00 am this morning, but suggesting minimal effect. ( I assume most if any disruption will be on Sat.)

Alsacienne
3rd Nov 2010, 18:22
Just to say that France has its own interested posse of trades unions who will do anything to undermine any government, and obviously members of these unions do work in the aviation industry in many and varied roles.

Air France because of its links with the French Government is of course a privileged target, so it will be them who get the majority of the pressure to disrupt normal working practices during a period of industrial unrest.

OK. Here we go again.

French law requires that advance warning of strike action is given to the population at large and not just to workers in the industries likely to be affected.

The last warning of strike action covered two days - 28 October (Thursday) and 6 November (Saturday) - and was declared at least a week in advance of the strike of 28 October. The French media publicise these warnings and the actual events on strike days ad nauseam so there is excellent awareness of what's in the wind.

THERE HAS BEEN NO FURTHER PUBLIC STATEMENT OF A WARNING OF STRIKE ACTION NOR ANY DATE BEEN GIVEN FOR SUCH ACTION since this last warning was issued back in late October.

The law has been changed and ratified. Strikers will not be happy but then the folk who are militant trades unionists never seem to be.

If there are still issues between AF and the unions, then the effect on the travelling public should be far less disruptive than on declared 'strike days' ... unless you are booked to travel with AF.