PDA

View Full Version : Win7-- memory " loss" after power cut query

Krystal n chips
30th Oct 2010, 15:40
I have a query about Win7 memory retention please.

Yesterday we had yet another power cut only this time I was actually using the machine. When power was restored after about 2hrs, I logged on to various sites and in some cases the password had been retained, but in others, including this one, it had vanished and had to be reset.

I am curious as to why this should be given that I would have thought that despite the fact I got a standard message about "incorrectly shut down"...obviously....this would have made no difference to the retention of passwords.

Any advice, as always, welcome for clarification please.

green granite
30th Oct 2010, 16:52
A power failure can corrupt any file that is being used at the time, even if you are not using it directly then 'housekeeping' may be happening at the time.

mixture
30th Oct 2010, 21:47
Any advice, as always, welcome for clarification please.

(1) Take <insert_favourite_form_of_payment>
(2) Visit/Phone/WWW your favourite IT parts supplier
(3) Buy a UPS suitably sized for your needs

Job done.

Parapunter
30th Oct 2010, 22:37
Nah, just move to the beautiful south where the electrickery supply can be relied upon.

tailstrikecharles
30th Oct 2010, 23:04
Yesterday we had yet another power cut only this time I was actually using the machine. When power was restored after about 2hrs, I logged on to various sites and in some cases the password had been retained, but in others, including this one, it had vanished and had to be reset

Nowt to do with passwords, all about cookies and retention of logged in state.
Some sites have persistent cookies, some do not.