PDA

View Full Version : Hypothyroidism

Ice Man
29th Oct 2010, 19:00
Hi All,

I have just been advised by my doctor that I have a low reading of thyroid level (I think they mentioned T4?) reading of 11, apparently normal level 12-22. Does anyone have any experience of how the CAA view this with a class 1 medical , as I am unsure whether I need to ground myself, prior to consulting with AME on Monday. Currently class 1 unrestricted 2 crew operation.

Many thanks in advance.:ok:

gingernut
30th Oct 2010, 20:19
Hmmm, at such a "near" level, I'd be tempted to ask for a re-test. (Why did he decide to do the test in the first place).

Always a little dangerous to offer a diagnosis by internet, but at such a "near" level, and in the absence of obvious symptoms, I'm wondering if it's as a result of getting as little older, where most things do tend to hang a little lower.

I suspect that your clinician will be looking at other markers in your blood tests, (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone TSH being the first thing.)

Likely strategies include doing nothing other than further blood tests (likely), replacement therapy-a tablet (likely), or further investigations (possible).

Always a favourite question for students....what do people with low thyroid hormones get?

Free prescriptions:)

keep us informed.

Flyin'Dutch'
6th Nov 2010, 16:58
Unlikely to be a problem.

If near normal (in the UK we use the TSH to determine levels for diagnosis) retest is useful.

Management of underactive thyroid is substitution with levothyroxine. No side effects for virtually everyone. Just a pill a day.

Nuisance more than a problem.

Bellerophon
6th Nov 2010, 18:20
Ice Man

I've flown with hypothyroidism for many years, and the CAA have always been very helpful about it.

I was grounded for around three months when I first went onto levothyroxine because at that time they wanted two blood tests, two months or so apart, showing acceptable levels of T4 and TSH, however I understand the protocol may well have changed to a more lenient one in recent years.

You are obliged to disclose the condition to the CAA, immediately you are diagnosed with it, and my advice would be not to fly until you have spoken to them.

If clinically diagnosed, Levothyroxine is the normal treatment in the UK, one or two tiny pills a day, with no side effects other than you will feel better for taking them and you qualify for free prescriptions for life (ask your pharmacist)!

A blood test every six months to a year (ask your GP to request tests for T4 and TSH) and these should be provided to the CAA at your medicals. My results worsened slowly over the years (not uncommon) resulting in dosage increases, but no further groundings, the CAA operating on an "honour system" provided you feel OK, they are happy!

Finally, I would advise carrying a photocopy of your latest prescription with you, particularly if flying to some of the more drug sensitive destinations of the world.

As has already been said, it is a very minor nuisance, but not a problem.

Best Regards

Bellerophon