View Full Version : Engineers Taxiing Aircraft

Peter47
28th Oct 2010, 17:48
I've just been reading the Pushback thread. My question is not strictly about pushback, so I'll start a new thread.

At JFK, and possibly some other airports aircraft were not allowed to be towed on taxiways at peak times as their slow speed would have caused congestion. I don't know whether this is still the case or whether towbarless tugs now make towing permissible.

I understand that aircraft for some airlines (I think that BA was one) were taxied under power by engineers rather than flight crew. Does anyone know if this happened much and if so how much training did the engineers require. I suppose that you need the same ATC training but that you can do rather more damage when powered by two (or even four) RB211s than a Detroit diesel.

lcyboy
28th Oct 2010, 18:18
As far as i am aware for at least the last 12-15 years BA has only allowed flight crew to taxi their aircraft , its to do with insurance after an unexpected excursion with one of their aircraft on engine runs .When i was employed by a third party MRO i could taxi all operators aircraft for engine runs/maintenance except BA. As for training , you needed full power run and taxi approval from the MRO quality department as well as the licence approval for the type also a current R/T extension to the airport pass and "manouvering area"[runways+taxiways] addition to that pass .It was a pain to get everything in order to gain the approval but was quite a laugh on the aircraft once you had it.
One thing i will say , a bit of respect given to the flight crews having to give readbacks etc , it could be pretty difficult when the airport was busy, dread to think what its like taxiing at somewhere like JFK/LHR/CDG..
Hope that helps/explains.

gas path
28th Oct 2010, 21:20
BA engineers taxi the a/c at JFK and IAD.

Daysleeper
29th Oct 2010, 11:03
Previous life at a mid-size operator we used to put our engineers through an abbreviated sim course for engine running and taxi training. Requirement was set by the insurers, but once we started we realised it was a really good idea and perhaps we should have been doing it anyhow.

Before that it had all been "on the job" training for ground running. Not sure what they had done about taxiing.

Bolli
29th Oct 2010, 12:43
not really an airline, but the RAF teach engineers to taxi at cosford using the old jet provosts.

somebody told me that they have to keep the in flyable condition to do this (not sure)

walterthesofty
29th Oct 2010, 12:55
My previous company had engineers who were approved to taxi aircraft, they had to hold the relevent type rating on their licence and pass a sim course as well as having full power engine ground running authorisation,

hawker man
29th Oct 2010, 15:47
Engineers can taxi Aircraft as long as they have been trained and hold a radio licence and have company approval.

Flightmech
29th Oct 2010, 20:57
FedEx AMT's can taxi aircraft as long as they have attended both a systems class and a run-taxi class for each aircraft type (and been checked out taxiing each aircraft type by a Tech Training instructor or a DME.

747ENG
3rd Nov 2010, 08:26
Different company rules apply Minimum of some formalised training in Maint Trainer, hold full power run up and check out by qualified person could be pilot or qualified Engineer. Radio qualification most likely now, but competence was usually the requirement before Insurance rules should be covered and this may prevent taxiing.

I have been lucky to have been trained and qualified to taxi B747, B727 and B 737, usually not in UK but have under Non Uk operator taxied in LGW, MAN and BFS, but not since early 2002.

In JED it was a common occurrence during HAJ operations due to high traffic volume and distance to Maint areas.

Quite a buzz to do it, and safely arrive at designated parking spot but you can go from hero to zero as has happened in some documented cases previously ie SV 747 in KUL ended up in a storm drain !

Golden rule - dont get lost and stay on the centre line.

Invicta DC4
3rd Nov 2010, 15:57
I remember watching a Spantax DC8 being taxiied by a ground engineer at JFK in 1979 from the roof of the Pan Am Terminal. Said engineer steered the nose wheel to approx 90 degrees then applied power. Needless to say, aircraft carried on straight ahead for a short distance before stopping and leaving a large amount of rubber on the apron.

WHBM
4th Nov 2010, 17:34
As far as i am aware for at least the last 12-15 years BA has only allowed flight crew to taxi their aircraft , its to do with insurance after an unexpected excursion with one of their aircraft on engine runs .
It's a while ago (so more suited to Aviation History & Nostalgia) but BA had at least one experience when an aircraft, doing engine runs in the Heathrow maintenance area, overrode its chocks, crashed into the hangar doors, and brought them down on an aircraft inside. The bill ran into millions.