PDA

View Full Version : CIR Renewals

HotPete
28th Oct 2010, 06:20
How long after a CIR expires do you have to renew it before it lapses and a "new issue" is required? I am getting contradictory advice re this.

Icarus2001
28th Oct 2010, 06:33
If you have a CIR you should really KNOW how to find the information in the CAOs.

Twelve months is the cut off as per para 12.2 and 12.3.

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/download/orders/cao40/400201.pdf

ReverseFlight
28th Oct 2010, 11:38
12 months is correct. And don't blame yourself for being confused.

I faced the same dilemma a while back. I believe it is bad drafting because a pre-expiry renewal "must" be obtained while the post-expiry renewal "may" be obtained. Why the difference in wording ? The patent inference is that the rule-drafter intended it to be interpreted differently. :=

Mike Litoris
28th Oct 2010, 13:00
From what I have been told:

If your CIR has been expired for less than 12 months, then a standard renewal test is all that is required. Only one approach needs to be done in an a/c, whilst the rest can be done in an approved sim.

If your CIR has been expired for more than 12 months (ie. 2 years since your initial issue or last renewal), You do not have to re-do your entire initial issue training. However, the renewal test required to be able to exercise the privileges of your CIR is the equivelent of an initial issue test and has to be completed entirely in an a/c.

ML

megle2
28th Oct 2010, 21:29
and depending on which FOI / ATO you have you will have to do between zero holding patterns or a holding pattern for each approach assessed!!
It depends on thier opinion of what is required.

43Inches
28th Oct 2010, 22:10
Only one approach needs to be done in an a/c, whilst the rest can be done in an approved sim.

I think you mean approved synthetic trainer.

Many pilots conduct their entire renewal in a simulator.

For a renewal only one approach is required as approaches are valid for 15 months. You would have to revalidate them however before they expire and this may be done in a approved synthetic trainer.

YPJT
29th Oct 2010, 00:19
If your CIR has been expired for more than 12 months (ie. 2 years since your initial issue or last renewal), You do not have to re-do your entire initial issue training. However, the renewal test required to be able to exercise the privileges of your CIR is the equivelent of an initial issue test and has to be completed entirely in an a/c.

Thanks Mike, I heard that from another CP as well. I find myself in that unfortunate position now. :(