PDA

View Full Version : Electronic copy of AIP for Mac's.

eocvictim
28th Oct 2010, 00:47
I've recently discovered that the electronic copy of the AIP on the ASA site is not accessible from Mac's. Is there an alternative available for Mac's?

Now that Mac seems to be overtaking MS its a little backwards limiting what should be a universally available text to one operating system.

Hasselhof
28th Oct 2010, 01:37
Works for me.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1259/5122255634_2d162f2bfc_z_d.jpg

On Track
28th Oct 2010, 01:42
ERSA and DAPS work for me but AIP doesn't (Safari or Firefox).

What browser do you use Hasselhof?

blueloo
28th Oct 2010, 01:42
It works on the mac - you just need to fiddle with some settings.

Change Safari to 32bit mode (or the opposite of what it is) via a little check box in the Get info section for safari.

blueloo
28th Oct 2010, 01:44
Hasselhof - whats that on the menu bar across the top - TX/RX transmit receive data speeds (red green item)? - what program does that

Hasselhof
28th Oct 2010, 01:54
Tech support costs money dunnit?? :E

Just kidding.

I'm using OS X 10.6.4 with Safari 5.0.2 and Adobe Reader 9.4.0

As mentioned before, go through your applications folder until you find the icon for Safari. Click once on the Safari icon then choose Get Info from the File menu. In the General section of this there is a check box titled "Open in 32-bit mode". Check that box, close the Get Info window and start up Safari. Should work. Basically, the Adobe Reader 9 Safari plug-in is incompatible with the 64bit version of Safari. Hardly Airservices fault.

The throughput & arrows as well as the aqua lights (indicate disk access) next to them are from a preferences app called MenuMeters (http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/menumeters/). I've played around with it a bit and can't live without it anymore.

Cheers, Hoff

eocvictim
28th Oct 2010, 04:28
Thanks for the help guys, I spoke to apple in-store and they pinned it on ASA saying its "typical gov sites/associates."

FerrypilotDK
28th Oct 2010, 06:24
Thanks for good questions and great answers!

la la la it works!

Hasselhof
28th Oct 2010, 06:49
they pinned it on ASA saying its "typical gov sites/associates."

Like I said, for once I wouldn't really blame Airservices nor CASA. They just used an internationally recognised and widely used standard format like the .pdf

Apparently Apple and Adobe (the creators of .pdf) are having a bit of a spat and the fact that their respective CEO's haven't been getting along for quite some time now has trickled down to us users in the end. I used to get annoyed with this kind of thing, but I've been using Apple since I was a kid and full time now for nearly a decade so you eventually get used to it.

One thing that does get to me though is that pretty much all of the good aviation related software is Windows only, especially flight planning programs and most decent GPS mapping programs. The only solution I've found is to run it all in an emulator like VMWare with a copy of XP. Works, but isn't ideal.

Does anyone know of any developers like Champagne or Ozi-Explorer porting over to OS X?

Captain Stoobing
28th Oct 2010, 07:00
Hasselhof,

Nice desktop wallpaper. I have the same on my Macbook Air.

b_sta
28th Oct 2010, 07:26
Where can I get that wallpaper?

Hasselhof
28th Oct 2010, 08:24
Using copyright material without attributing the owner is wrong and naughty. Copyright material such as this (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Horizon-Air/De-Havilland-Canada/1323978/L/&sid=f5e2273286187793e50b13af4da09928) for example
:ok:

b_sta
28th Oct 2010, 08:40
Wouldn't dream of it :ok: Thanks!

Shagpile
28th Oct 2010, 09:10
I'll have (properly licensed) AIP for iPad & iPhone out soon (1-2 weeks). More details soon...

compressor stall
28th Oct 2010, 09:18
Brilliant - thanks Hasselhof. I've been trying to get it working for a while and it does now. Cheers

Now to get BlueCrab to crawl it behind the copyright acknowledgement! :}

blueloo
29th Oct 2010, 02:04
Thanks Hoff. Nice bit of info to have.

Jack Ranga
29th Oct 2010, 04:16
Shagger, the full AIP as in DAP's, maps etc or just the AIP book?

Shagpile
29th Oct 2010, 21:04
AIP book (as in ENR,GEN & AD) plus ERSA and full DAP East & West. Will include more features in future releases shortly after.