PDA

View Full Version : interview questions

alpha-b
27th Oct 2010, 18:14
Hey Chaps!
I'm having an upcoming interview next month,can anybody help me answer these questions on the personnal side?

1) Tell us about yourself
2) why do you wanna fly for us?
3) why do we have to choose you not others?
4)if you're not successful on this interview what would you do?
etc...
Any help is very much appreciated.Thanks

Guttn
27th Oct 2010, 18:37
1. I think you should know the best answer to this one. You alone have the answer sheet. They don`t. Who you are, where you come from, interests, why you chose flying as an occupation, where you want to go with your career, where you see yourself (or hope to...) in the next 5-10 years.
2. Ehh because you`re looking for a job and were invited to this interview? Just don`t follow the "you pay the most or have most days off" path. Find a few positive things about the airline. E.g. you don`t like how certain airlines require you to pay for a rating or P2F.
3. What kind of screening do they have? Are there sim checks, tech questions, numerical tests? They will choose you if you pass them with good marks and fit their profile. At the board interview just be yourself, and come across as a likeable guy, but not a brown-noser. Are you easy to get along with?
4. Do you go out back and dig a hole in the ground, or do you keep on searching for another opportunity? If at first you don`t succeed etc... Maybe you have more than one interview lined up. Might want to squeeze that in there somehow. Just to sow a seed :E

Seriously, just be yourself, as you can`t be anyone else. If they don`t like you, or what is coming out of your mouth/brain, then you`re probably better off in any case. Are you looking for a longtime employment opportunity, and not just there to get some hours to move on to larger outfits, then make them aware of this. I personally don`t think employers like to hire people who will jump ship at the first better opportunity.

Lord Spandex Masher
27th Oct 2010, 19:00
2) why do you wanna fly for us?
3) why do we have to choose you not others?
4)if you're not successful on this interview what would you do?

Seriously? Ok then, but at 30 I would have thought you'd know this:

1 - Tell them about yourself (we don't know you so can't help)
2 - Tell them why you want to fly for them (we don't know why you want to fly for them as we don't know you. However, do not lie)
3 - Tell them why you think they should choose you (we don't know why as we don't know you)
4 - Tell them what you will do if you are unsuccesful (unfortunately, as we don't know you we don't know what you'd do).

Good luck with the interview, be yourself, and don't worry about failing.

Northbeach
27th Oct 2010, 21:02
alpha-b

Years ago I came across what I believe to be the definitive work on interview preparation. I bought the author’s book when I was trying to land an interview with one of the premier flight departments in the United States. In time, I had the opportunity to interview and was the single successful candidate. I credit Mr. Yate with the preparation that made the difference.

Several years later, when I interviewed for the airline job, I felt thoroughly prepared for the process. I do not completely endorse Mr. Yate’s philosophy on interviewing however his exhaustive experience on both sides of the interview table is unbeatable. I own both of the following books.

Martin John Yate: Knock ‘em Dead: with great answers to tough questions.

and

Martin John Yate: Hiring the Best. A manager’s guide to effective recruitment.

For example; your question

Answer: “Help me to answer your question as effectively as possible. What part of my background do you want to know about; my education, work history, professional accomplishments, or community service?"

Then you need to have something substantial to add to whatever area you are directed to.

Study and prepare, you have a lot of work to do. The future belongs to those who prepare for it!

Northbeach