PDA

View Full Version : Armed Forces Chief Sir Jock Stirrup to become a Lord

SRENNAPS
27th Oct 2010, 12:06
BBC News - Armed forces chief Sir Jock Stirrup to become a lord (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11635872)

Given the current circumstances, I would suggest well deserved. :D:D

It can’t be easy for anybody going into retirement to see their train set(s) in tatters. :(

ORAC
27th Oct 2010, 12:30
At this rate the RAF will have more "piers" than the Navy.... :p

2Planks
27th Oct 2010, 14:15
So, Lord Stirrup of ????? Answers on a postcard, please.

chippy63
27th Oct 2010, 14:46
Cupp? In the county of ...? Prolly one of the shires... a FOX-hunting shire?

Squirrel 41
27th Oct 2010, 15:16
Torpor? Pusillanimity? The options go on.....

S41

Pontius Navigator
27th Oct 2010, 15:23
Bardufoss?

I would have said North Cape but Fraser got there first.

Wokkafans
27th Oct 2010, 15:34
Lord Stirrup of Figs ????

Mick Strigg
27th Oct 2010, 15:35
Lord Stirrup of Scapa Flow.................................

...........................because he has scuppered the Navy and the FAA in particular!

Old-Duffer
27th Oct 2010, 17:00
Wasn't he something else first ie until 19?? he was called Graham - I think. So where does 'Jock' come from?

Lord Stirrup Pump gets my vote

grandfer
27th Oct 2010, 17:23
Lord Stirrup of Jockland .:ok:

BEagle
27th Oct 2010, 17:30
So where does 'Jock' come from?

YGBSM?

'Jock' - as in jockstrap (aka 'Litesome Supporter'...:uhoh:).

Done well for himself, has Flt Cdt Stirrup!

david parry
27th Oct 2010, 17:46
West,Stirrup and Dannatt , wont go down with any great aplomb, in the Annals of history, along with Margret Hilda:)

teeteringhead
27th Oct 2010, 18:13
Well if you were called "Eric", wouldn't YOU change it!!

Old-Duffer
27th Oct 2010, 18:31
Come on Teeteringhead, it doesn't matter a rat's a?s what your name is, it's who you are and what you stand for that's important to real people. To get so tetchy that you need to change your name smacks of insecurity to me - and his (new) Lordship certainly ain't that!

O-D

Union Jack
27th Oct 2010, 18:34
It can’t be easy for anybody going into retirement to see their train set(s) in tatters.

Not to mention the dreadful state of his SD Cap/hat, judging by the second photo in the BBC report!:)

Jack

X767
27th Oct 2010, 21:16
Don't agree Jack - that is how a well "bashed" SD cap should look like !

Duncan D'Sorderlee
27th Oct 2010, 21:23
I've just seen him on the BBC News. I'm not sure what he had on his head, but it certainly wasn't RAF issue (or even purchased). Some sort of black beret.

Duncs:ok:

newt
27th Oct 2010, 21:50
The guy does his job for many years and achieves more than most!

Remember, we all have to retire sometime no matter what we have done for the Service There will always be a few titters in the crewroom when a senior guy retires and that is to be expected.

Have some respect guys and give him a break! Afterall once in the House of Lords he may be able to vote for something you may need in the future like free wheelchairs for the over 60s!

Flack jacket on and retired to the bunker!!!:ok:

Pontius Navigator
28th Oct 2010, 07:40
newt true but BEagle still doesn't like BB and no one likes the Scottish Gp Capt, then there was a certain AVM with deep pockets and short arms. Th elist of heroes goes on.

teeteringhead
28th Oct 2010, 09:23
Come on O-D, I thought you'd recognise irony when you saw it!;). I'm more concerned about the Toms, Dicks and Harrys that become Sir Thomas, Sir Richard and Sir Henry. At least Jock stayed Jock

Sir Jock is an old colleague of whom I too think highly; when I last saw him (in a Gents lavatory in Wales as it happens, but that's another story, which I will tell you when I see you!) I told him that I was appalled by the manner (not necessarily the fact) of his removal from post.

I am sure Lord Jock will still be very helpful to UK Military Inc in the "other place", and not just to the light blue (but mostly!;))

Union Jack
28th Oct 2010, 09:39
Don't agree Jack - that is how a well "bashed" SD cap should look!

Don't disagree X767 - but not on the head of CDS .....:uhoh:

Jack

Al R
28th Oct 2010, 09:43
Given his generally perceived constantly acquiescing to Gordon Brown, its possibly a shame he wasn't to be known as Lord Stir-up of somewhere.

baffman
28th Oct 2010, 11:23
I've just seen him on the BBC News. I'm not sure what he had on his head, but it certainly wasn't RAF issue (or even purchased). Some sort of black beret.Honorary Colonel of 73 Engr Regt (V), which provides engineer support to the RAF.

Self corrected: "engineer support" not "engineering support"! He retires from CAS post today, 29 Oct.

Duncan D'Sorderlee
28th Oct 2010, 15:03
baffman,

Thanks.

Duncs:ok:

jindabyne
28th Oct 2010, 20:09
teeters,

Was at Valley many moons ago with Jock - his lovely wife, as a WRAF lady, marched us into our first married quarter at Little Rissington. The chap did well, and I'd be intrigued by his toilet response to you!

Union Jack
28th Oct 2010, 21:21
At least Jock stayed Jock -Teeters

Maybe it goes with being a single Service Chief of Staff - Admiral Sir Jock Slater, First Sea Lord and Chief of Naval Staff from 1995-98, was also invariably known as Jock - but at least his first name was John!:)

Jack (aka Jock - but no relation to either)

sitigeltfel
29th Oct 2010, 06:45
To get so tetchy that you need to change your name smacks of insecurity to me

I suppose we could forgive Adolph "Sailor" Malan ;)

Bismark
29th Oct 2010, 08:19
was also invariably known as Jock - but at least his first name was John!

His initials were JCK - hence "Jock"

Union Jack
29th Oct 2010, 09:57
His initials were JCK - hence "Jock"

Oh, so that's why he had the initials J C K on his suede shoes!:ok:

Jack

SOSL
30th Oct 2010, 13:36
He was known to all as Jock when he was a cadet at RAFC Cranwell, i.e. from the age of 18 yrs. He is not a poseur.

He was a real trier and a very friendly guy. He gave me a lift home from "Bishop Bigballs" teachers training college, one night when I (significantly junior to him) had become marooned.

He did a fxxk of a lot for the RAF during his career and as CDS he took over two stupid wars and did his best.

If he is given a Lordship, lets hope he performs as well as MRAF Lord David Craig of Radley.

SOS

process monkey
31st Oct 2010, 17:25
A just reward for all his hard work......or just sod off with this peerage will you, labour lackey.

It would appear that the further up the rank structure you go, the more chance you have of misplacing your morals and your courage along the way. The last man to stand up to the government was a former CDS - Admiral Sir Michael Boyce. Labour never forgave him but HMQ apparently thought highly of him and made him Lord of the Cinque Ports. Can't see HMQ bestowing any loveliness on Stirrup. In fact I'd have even money on HRH TDoE sending him as the ambassador to Antarctica.