PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 print spooler wont start.

Lancman
27th Oct 2010, 07:33
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, print spooler wont start.

I've been through the recommended process of Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Services / Print Spooler / Automatic and deleted all the files in *\System 32\Spool\Printers and \drivers folders and rebooted to no avail many, many times. I've also right clicked Print Spooler and clicked start and got the message "Windows could not start the Print Spooler service on Local Computer". "Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified." Yeah thanks Microsoft, why couldn't you tell me which file? The old story of the helicopter pilot lost in a fog is sooooo true. I've disabled and re-enabled the spooler but I still can't print. Anybody here got any ideas?

Nightrider
27th Oct 2010, 09:34
Had the same problem some time ago and somehow decided to de-install the printer (4 of them....) and re-install. This also included re-installing of PDF writer software. Works now (fingers crossed).

Mike-Bracknell
27th Oct 2010, 09:51
Trouble with the print spooler stopping or not starting are usually due to rubbish print drivers.

I'd suggest trying to replace these and see whether your reliability improves.

Lancman
27th Oct 2010, 12:17
Thanks for your advice chaps, I've un-installed my HP series 3100 printer and tried re-installing with the latest drivers but......................"Cannot install because print spooler not running". Gotcha!

Parapunter
27th Oct 2010, 13:11
There is an issue where an Adobe update can remove the spoolsv.exe file from the system 32 directory.

I would look in system 32 first, to make sure spoolsv.exe is in there. If not copy it across from i386 & try to start the spooler service again.

Lancman
27th Oct 2010, 13:32
Been there, done that, thanks for the advice anyway, much appreciated. I'm going to give up banging my head on a cotton wool wall and go for a fresh W7 install.

mad_jock
27th Oct 2010, 13:33
As an aside I have alot to be thankful for with the windows spooler.

When I was an IT contractor its insability and general clunky way of doing things ie spooling the whole lot onto disk before sending it to the printer basically payed for my CPL.

Mind you quite sad really to think 80 hours of my life over the period of 3 years fannying around with microsoft print servers.

Mike-Bracknell
27th Oct 2010, 16:45
Incidentally, with a 64bit version of W7, you'll need 64bit printer drivers.

Lancman
28th Oct 2010, 08:27
Thank-you everybody for your time and interest, the problem has gone away, at least for now, after a system restore.

doubleu-anker
31st Oct 2010, 04:02
My my dear wife bought me a new "top of the range" laptop recently.

I am unable to connect my old printer and scanner to it.

Am I being naive in thinking I wouldn't have to by new hardware, when getting a new computer.

Have mercy on me as I am an oldie.

Any ideas?

Bushfiva
31st Oct 2010, 04:14
Usually it depends on whether the original manufacturer provides updated drivers for newer operating systems. Name your printer, scanner and OS, and someone will tell you how to get it working. Or not.

doubleu-anker
31st Oct 2010, 04:28
Thanks for that.

OS, windows 7, Scanner Packard Bell Diamond 1200 plus.

Printer, Canon BJC - 55 Bubble jet.

Tried to download software from the net but I cant seem to get it to work.

Bushfiva
31st Oct 2010, 05:00
Wow. The printer is very old in computer terms. That said, ensure you have an internet connection, click 'Add a printer' in Devices and Printers, click the 'Windows Update' button, wait for a while, then you should be able to find the Canon BJC-55 listed. Canon's stance is a little odd: "here's the driver, but it may not work."

Your scanner is a Mustek 1200UB in disguise.