PDA

View Full Version : Low time pilot applying for jobs

Newbie Pilot
25th Oct 2010, 21:11
Hi,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post so please forgive me if I do it wrong. I am a new pilot in Canada who recently got his CPL, with a multi rating and multi IFR. I have 225 hours and planning on going up north to Yellowknife, Iqualuit etc. to apply for jobs. I was wondering when is considered "peak" season to go and apply for jobs?

Thanks for your help.

redsnail
25th Oct 2010, 21:40
G'day Newbie,

Welcome. I think you'll probably get better advice from the Canadian forum "further down". :ok:
Usual advice. Do as much research you can about the areas you'd like to operate in. Make sure you have every thing that they might need, such as First Aid certificates, Dangerous Goods awareness etc. Whatever is usually required in the parts of the world you're looking at.

Good luck.

hollingworthp
25th Oct 2010, 22:21
If you are going to earn your seat by working as a rampie, Canadian winter doesn't seem an appealing time to start - although for someone really dedicated, perhaps there would be more opportunities at this time?

Best of luck

ashish_pilote
26th Oct 2010, 08:01
I bet you'll get more info about Canada on www.avcanada.ca (http://avcanada.ca)

All the best

downnorth
26th Oct 2010, 13:55
Things are a bit slow in the North during this time of year.
No one is loosing jobs but there is certainly no hiring sprees like during the spring/early summer months.

If you do head up this way I would recommend any one of the following companies in Yellowknife:

Arctic Sunwest has a good operation, great group of people, nice fleet (Dash 8's, Buffalo's, Twin Otter's) with reasonable wait times.

Air Tindi is a good option, good group of people, larger fleet (Dash 7, Twin Otters, Large Float Operation), great work schedules, but generally longer wait times to fly.

Summit Air seems pretty good, they work you hard with little time off. I hear they send some people to the far north with long stays away from the base in Yellowknife. They do have an interesting fleet (Dornier's and Skyvan's) and guys are given check rides then start flying part time within a few months of starting on the ground.

Buffalo Airways - Well, just watch Ice Pilots on TV and see for yourself what a crap show this company can be at times. Expect abuse (emotional and possibly physical) and work long hours with little time off. In the end (if you are lucky and don't get fired because someone is having a bad day) you do get the chance to fly some of the coolest airplane in the air (DC-3, DC-4, C-46).

I would NOT recommend coming to Yellowknife until the spring unless you can afford to sit around and wait until something pops up.

Give Perimeter a shot in Manitoba. I hear there is all kinds of movement over there with the current airline hiring spree in Canada. New guys seem to be moving from Ramp/Dispatch jobs to First Officer in a few short months and are offered upgrades to Captain with 1200 hours or just over 1 year as First Officer.

Where ever you decide to go, heading into the arctic will provide an experience of a life time. You will be pushing your flying skills and the aircraft performance capabilities to the limit. It will be an adventure that most consider to be the most memorable flying of a lifetime.

Landing a Twin Otter on a 1200 ft snowy/icy gravel strip via an NDB approach in a snowstorm down to mins with half the runway lights out will provide you an experience like now where else. Remember it certainly is not for everyone.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions about the north. I can provide you a few contacts (chief pilot/ops managers) and let them know you are interested if you PM me.

NzCaptainAndrew
27th Oct 2010, 09:23
Sounds like youve got the same qualifications as me...although im from new zealand.

Every thought of going to Australia or Africa? just a thought!

Good luck buddy!