PDA

View Full Version : IP Address problem

tony draper
25th Oct 2010, 19:18
Trying to sort out(get working) a neighbors new wireless router,one of the things setup asks is ip address,I asked about this here a while back and was directed to a website 'what is my ip.com' which supplied same no prob,however since then I have learned to use run/cmd/ipconfig
and found ipaddress,sub mask ect
however the ip address shown in ipconfig is different to the one obtained from the website I mentioned? which one will be the correct one and would this make a difference?
Why don't they just make things simple:(

tailstrikecharles
25th Oct 2010, 19:42
Seriously, you shouldnt need any kind of IP address to configure a router*

There are two types of ip address.

When you are connected to the router, you are part of a small network, and you have an ip address that identifies you, specifically, within that network.
(Think of it as the phones in your office or home)
You have an internal phone number or extension that identifies your phone and makes it unique amongst the other phones in the house.

The other ip address is the external IP address, that identifies you to the outside world.
How does your internal ip address get connected to the world? How is your ip 'translated' to the world ip?

That is the process called NAT Network Address Translation.
You could read up about it if you like, but its not really worth it, if all you need to do is connect to the internet.

green granite
25th Oct 2010, 19:46
Whose IP adress Tony the address of your internet provider or the address of the attached computer? The ones in ipconfig are the router address and the computer address, the address in 'what is my ip.com' is the address that your ip assigns to you when you log on and would not be put in the router. I suspect the one wanted is the address of the IP provider, I am assuming you are talking about setting up the router it's self not the pc.

tony draper
25th Oct 2010, 19:58
Just googled seems a lot of people have had the same problem connecting this kit to Virgin Media cable Modems,the answer seems to be suspiciously simple,switch off the cable modem for ten minutes,then power everything up again, will try that tomorrow,had enough tonight.
This kit came with setup software,wondering if it is necessary at all? because there is a wireless setup icon already in Widows control panel.
I remember fannying about with the Virgin media cable modem setup disk when I first got Broadband, completely unnecessary as it turned out.
:(

Keef
25th Oct 2010, 21:06
Unless you're on a fixed IP address (in which case you'll have to configure it into your router), you don't care what IP your ISP has assigned to you.

What they said about your local (LAN) versus outside (WAN) IP address is correct.

Power off, let it settle, power on, and things should accle.

tailstrikecharles
25th Oct 2010, 21:08
Anything with Virgin on it is just dying to f*k with you. I find all their kit cheap rubbish.
Too late now. lol

Just run the setup software. It will at least run through all the prerequisite steps. Shouldnt be needed, but cant hurt and is, after all , what the manufacturer recommends.

mad_jock
25th Oct 2010, 21:10
They are tony you don't need the setup disks.

If you do your IP config and look what IP address the gateway is and put that into a web browser the admin panel will come up.

I have exactly the same setup and if you set everything for DHCP it works fine.

Gertrude the Wombat
25th Oct 2010, 22:12
switch off the cable modem for ten minutes
Depends where you live. Certainly it used to be the case that in some areas four hours was necessary.

Usually the answers to this sort of thing are on Robin Walker's cable modem site.