PDA

View Full Version : Boring old Vista update problem

glad rag
25th Oct 2010, 15:55
Right, this is a frustrating problem, windows update downloads the fixes, incorporates them, does the restart to finish process, then doesn't recognise the fixes and undoes them!!

Any clues folks?

piggybank
29th Oct 2010, 12:49
Can't help there. After using Vista for a a year I upgraded to XP and never looked back. Sad to say no one wants my original Vista program even for free. I will probably just burn it along with the household rubbish.

glad rag
29th Oct 2010, 13:33
I know what you're saying....

airborne_artist
30th Oct 2010, 16:07
£60 odd spent on W7 Home Premium upgrade from Ebay will be well spent. A new laptop with Vista was very unstable - now with W7 HP it's solid as a rock.

M.Mouse
30th Oct 2010, 17:16
I have to agree that W7 is the best Windows OS yet. If you or any of your family are students it is available at a very good price from here. (http://www.software4students.co.uk/Microsoft_Windows_7_Professional_32_bit_Upgrade_Edition-details.aspx)

glad rag
30th Oct 2010, 18:47
Hmmm I hear what your saying but also read about Win 7 here.:8

I vote for XP myself due to the amount of astro stuff, drivers etc that all sync and work with it.(admittedly never even seen 7 though)

So, anyone know how to sort the original" update "saga please.

Mike-Bracknell
30th Oct 2010, 23:53
Hmmm I hear what your saying but also read about Win 7 here.:8

I vote for XP myself due to the amount of astro stuff, drivers etc that all sync and work with it.(admittedly never even seen 7 though)

So, anyone know how to sort the original" update "saga please.

- Turn off Automatic Updates service in Control Panel -> Services
- Delete the entire contents of %windir%\SoftwareDistribution
- Turn on Automatic Updates service
- Recheck for updates

HTH.

glad rag
31st Oct 2010, 20:38
Cheers mate will give it a go.

GR

M.Mouse
1st Nov 2010, 09:25
W7 is Vista underneath except that MS spent much effort and money making it work. I would go so far as to suggest it really is the best OS MS have ever produced. It is quick, doesn't crash or hang and is much, much better in its layout and functionality.

I have had but one issue with it where a window pops up and says Internet Explorer has stopped working and needs to close. I find if I click the red x in the top right hand corner the warning window closes and everything carries on as normal! I can live with that.

I understand people's reluctance to change when I look back on the amount of crap that has emanated from MS with each new release of Windows but they do seem to have got it about right with W7.