PDA

View Full Version : What English Proficiency Level r U?

Fair.Pilot
25th Oct 2010, 14:06
Dear Flyers,

I'm doing a small data gathering information regarding the
EPL(not English Premier League!) in various countries.

I heard Taiwanese and Singapore pilots all Level 6?

For a start, myself Level 4 from Malaysia.

Thanks for keeping this thread rolling.....

tom744
25th Oct 2010, 15:06
Hmmm.....
hard to believe that taiwanese pilots got all level 6!
I was working there for almost 7 years and according to my observations the english proficiency from malaysian pilots was by far better.
Civilian trained pilots had most a good command of english there but the majority came from taiwanese military and those guy's english was really not the best!

vserian
25th Oct 2010, 15:20
Level 6
I am an Indian pilot but born and brought up in the United states.

weapon-x
25th Oct 2010, 19:07
Level 6
I am an Indian pilot with Canadian CPL as well ...

Fair.Pilot
26th Oct 2010, 09:02
Good day Vserian, weapon-x :

Is it normal for pilots to get Level 6 in US and Canada?

Thanks

vserian
26th Oct 2010, 12:54
@Fair.Pilot

Hi there, i think yes, its common for pilots who's first language is English to get a Level 6.

By the way i am not from the states, I am Indian who moved out from the US some 10 years ago. I also know a lot of Indian born Indian pilots who has level 6.

parasite tango
26th Oct 2010, 13:56
I am an Indian & FAA CPL holder. Please tell me how to go about this test. DGCA website doesn't mention any dates for this test. When do they conduct this test?

weapon-x
26th Oct 2010, 18:12
@Fair.Pilot (http://www.pprune.org/members/111557-fair-pilot)

i think its easy to get 6 ,, and just to let u know i went to Canada for my CPL only and Hindi is my 1st language ,

the trick to get 6 is better understanding of Accent i guess ...

kwaiyai
27th Oct 2010, 04:25
I had to sit my Aviation English test in Malaysia allthough I am from UK.
I got 6 and have no complaints about being asked to take it BY the Authorities here.
Just FYI UPM thought it was nuts though:confused:

Waynesawa
22nd Jan 2011, 22:07
1st take level 4
2nd take after 1st expired level 6
yahoooo! oh .. me malaysian
brader, got trick laaaa
must discuss and rehearse so understand all parts of exam
trick is not to stop talking for the last 2 sections
doesn't matter what you say, must be able to talk non stop for 30 secs for
all 4 retell story part and both 2 questions on the last part.
yeaaa quite hard to firgure what to say rightttt ... so to waste time
be inventive, repeat the question 1st, talk slowly ... don't talk fast2 like express rakyat mah! i answered 1 question in chinese singlish slang and the other in indian slang summore. but clear pronunciations of the words of course.

how they mark?
every section is marked separately in percentage
your overall score/level is based on your lowest scored section.
by researching and discussing found out that the last 2 sections are the main causes of level 4 and 5 results. not being able to keep on talking i.e not being able to bull****.
every section above 60% will score you a level 6

the day i took my last epl, foooh no need to take anymore woh ..
sat with a brazilian guy and a british caucasian guy for the test.
had a discussion over coffee with the brazillian guy on how to take the test
british guy lansi thought no need to socialize with us
end up me and brazilian guy got 6 and the british guy got 5
so not all native english speakers get 6

your hearsay korean and singaporean all got 6's is hearsay
don't believe rumours la bro
go for facts, don't have to believe me also
go on your own fact finding mission
go talk to exam facilitator, and find out yourself

good luck

BeRich
24th Jan 2011, 18:35
I like the irony of you saying "r U?" in the thread title for an english proficiency thread (:

PappyJ
24th Jan 2011, 19:22
I'm in Asia and my Englick is level sik.

msian1147
24th Jan 2011, 23:15
im from malaysia and i got Level 6..

regarding the first post, it's actually common to see Singaporeans with Level 6 because they are good, but Taiwanese? :ugh:

Meathead Pilot
25th Jan 2011, 11:14
I like the irony of you saying "r U?" in the thread title for an english proficiency thread (:

I dont think one needs to be able to write in english for the proficiency..:}

B737NG
30th Jan 2011, 15:36
Dont mix the fact´s "broder" laaa..... I know for sure some Taiwanese Drivers who did not achieve Level 6 in the ELP-test, English Language Proficiency-test. In the beginning there was no question about Korean Pilots but some of them bearly made a 4. So collect facts not fiction. In Singapore the level of english on the street is good and I am sure that Singaporean achieve level 6 easier then other Asian people.

To answer your question, I got testet from two diffrent Authorities and got six from both despite English is my third language only.

Fly safe and land happy

NG

paolylo
31st Jan 2011, 14:23
level 5. born and raised in the Philippines.

a friend of mine is an ELP facilitator, and i was under the impression that those who got level 6 had to be born or raised in the UK or the US (or Australia) because the idea is that English comes natural as a primary language to them... as opposed to level 6 holders whose first language isn't English (say, Singlish lah).

i've lived in Singapore for some time and though i agree that the level of English on the street over there is somewhat better than here in the Philippines... it's ironic that level 6 is just a matter of making the grade elsewhere, but here... there's a certain emphasis on diction, pronunciation, and comprehension. one may have good grammar and what not, but if ATC and other pilots don't understand them over VHF or HF... what good is level 6?