PDA

View Full Version : Round Oz in Three Weeks

girl with a stick
25th Oct 2010, 07:40
G'day Aussies (and Kiwis and Pacificers),

I'm planning a solo trip round Oz in Dec (before I take the plunge and sit the CPL test) with the intention of writing a book about the experience.

Before I get into the heavy planning, I thought I'd ask you, dear PPRuNers, for advice, tips and suggestions. As a native of Wales, I've not explored much of Oz and would appreciate any recommendations on places that mustn't be missed.

I have three weeks off, and a Piper Warrior or Archer available.

Any advice welcome!

Thanks in advance,

GWAS

Mick.B
25th Oct 2010, 07:55
Be very respectful of the wet season that time of year up North. Good planning is the key. Also take a good note of aircraft performance in the hot and humid areas.

Hasselhof
25th Oct 2010, 08:21
Don't assume every destination has fuel, and if they do, don't assume that they'll take the kind of payment you've got, and if they will, don't assume you can afford it :E Make sure you check first :ok:

eocvictim
25th Oct 2010, 08:28
Be prepared to either deviate mid plan or take more time off as 3 weeks may not be enough. Especially if its a bad wet.

j3pipercub
25th Oct 2010, 08:34
Hmmm, wet season, north of the tropic of Capricorn, vfr single, monster cyclone season predicted... pass. However, if you are dead keen:

(Second the fuel thing)

-If the trip takes 3 week allow 5.

-Do all your flying in the morning, aiming to be done by midday. If it aint the monsoon, the afternoon CB's will getcha.

j3

Ex FSO GRIFFO
25th Oct 2010, 08:45
Are you planning to go 'clockwise' or the other way, and visit Queensland first.

The reason I ask is because of the weather patterns you will / may encounter.
Anti-clockwise, may give you tailwinds across The Top, and get you out of the 'Wet' quicker - i.e. before the larger CB's become an 'everyday occurrence'.

They 'usually' get bigger in Jan. - Well around the Kimberley anyway....

Take plenty of water, probably 3G net for your mobile, and heed what has already been said re fuel etc.

The rest of the flight south from Port Hedland, then, should be reasonably pleasant, the only real problem here is maybe encountering a 'West Coast Trough' which will involve some CB activity at around that time of the year.

But then you have the choice of going 'coastal' via Carnarvon, or 'inland' via Newman.

The inland route can be very 'bumpy' due heat turb - but you will have that worked out by then.....

Should you decide to go the 'clockwise', then most of the above will still apply, but you may be 'deeper' into the 'wet'....

Listen to the local operators, and don't be afraid to ASK them if there's anything you need to know. You will find everybody very friendly and a wealth of 'local knowledge' - so ask as you go, is my tip.....

For fuel across the Nullabor, PHONE first to check where its available, and how much etc - be prepared and plan accordingly. Although Kalgoorlie - Forrest might be 'the usual' route, I can say that Caiguna Road House make the best bacon sandwiches and you can taxy right up to the bowser - but phone first.

Take the faster aircraft if you have a choice - you'll still enjoy the trip and won't appear to be 'standing still' over the more flat 'uninteresting' areas (?)

Cheers and ENJOY. Don't forget the camera....:ok:

p.s. Stand by for pages and pages........:D:D

Biggles_in_Oz
25th Oct 2010, 09:09
If you're staying at a motel in the less populated regions, call them prior and see if they can collect you. Usually not a problem, but a 'heads-up' is just basic courtesy.
(Some strips can be several km's out of town and taxi-cabs might be scarce or non-existant.
It's no fun treking in 40'C heat.)
Alternatively, take a light swag and/or tent.

Ixixly
25th Oct 2010, 09:58
As what most have said above, Call ahead about fuel to make sure it will be available and confirm their methods of payment, some will tell you they have Carnet but you may find its Inop so carrying a bit of cash with you at all times is something I highly recommend and make sure you have a Credit Card with plenty of Credit available just incase!! And never rely on a single fuelling point, try and work out 2 you can get to incase the other one fails, never happened to me but i'd hate to be stuck somewhere waiting for the next load of fuel to come in cause someone buggered up!!

Shell Carnet cards are next to useless, a lot of their Bowsers have either been removed or now no longer use Carnet and use Credit Card instead. Be VERY CAREFUL with using your CC, they require you to do whats called an "Auth". Basically, it will ask you to input a max amount (In Dollars) first, it will then check that amount is available on your Credit Card and then freeze that amount for several days, when its unfrozen the amount unused will be made available to you again. Basically if you decide to put way more on the Auth than your going to use and do it a few times then you'll find your Credit Card unusable for sometime, also i'm not sure how well they work with Debit Mastercards, i've done Auths on those cards myself before and they seem to work but just be sure first :)

Carry plenty of Water just incase, make sure you have an ELT and if possible get your hands on an EPIRB as well with GPS tracking, a lot of schools will have them and should most happily let you use one for your trip or someone in the area may well have one they'd be happy to lend you, lifesaver if the ELT should stop working.

Keep one bag with most essentials and an overnight bag as well, this way if you are in the unfortunate position of having to walk some distance into town you won't have to lug the entire thing with you, its caught me out a couple of times! As someone else said, call the hotel/motel/accommodation ahead of time and they'll usually be more than happy to help you out and come get you and do be sure to check they are able to pick you up as well.

Quick tip if you find yourself unable to get reception to pull weather and are fortunate enough to be in a place with a BOM Office (Eg, Tennant Creek, Giles etc...) the people staffing them are usually more than happy to let you use their computers and do a quick print out of the weather you need, once again, its helped me twice in the past so always good to know, just knock, explain your situation and ask politely!

Oh, and this may seem silly but... carry snacks, you just never know where your gonna get stuck overnight and be without something for dinner!! Keep muesli bars or some trail mix type stuff somewhere out of direct sunlight!!

onetrack
25th Oct 2010, 14:42
Griffo has nailed a lot of the important stuff. However, in mentioning Caiguna... a compulsory viewing is the Great Australian Bight cliffs, at lower levels, from Caiguna Eastwards.
Also... be aware of hot, strong, Easterly/N-Easterly winds at ground level, all the way across the Nullarbor, at the time of year you've indicated. Once a strong mid-Summer, high pressure system sets up in the Bight, look out.
He's also right about the Caiguna Roadhouse food. Best steakburgers and chips you'll find anywhere across the Long Paddock.

Flying the Outback Blog Archive Pilbara Air Safari May 2009 (http://www.flyingtheoutback.net/?p=161)

FokkerInYour12
25th Oct 2010, 14:52
Watch Caiguna if there's rain... waterlogged my last attempt there (but not likely at that time of year). High pressure in the bight means horrid head winds going west-to-east.

Night flying into Forrest is an experience too. You can see the light beacon from maybe 100NM out and not much else.

ForkTailedDrKiller
25th Oct 2010, 22:25
Take the faster aircraft if you have a choice - you'll still enjoy the trip and won't appear to be 'standing still' over the more flat 'uninteresting' areas (?)

Yes!

Jaba, what was the GS we had in the Bo between The Rock and Leonora a couple of years ago?

104 kts?

That would knock a Warrior back to about 60 kts.

Dr :8

multime
25th Oct 2010, 23:55
Many moons ago took a C172 to burn off some com hrs from coloundra qld to ayers rock and back. Although the rock was good, i remember fondly the overnighters in th outback towns, like windorah, and oodnadatta. Quite an experience, with plenty of colourfull characters. Plan around your points of interest and as mentioned be prepared, 2 weeks ago forrest on the nullabor was out of avgas due to heavy rains the trucks couldn,t get in. Caiguna or border village is an option. Take nothing for granted and make lots of phone calls. Sar times etc are a must. Northern aus is probably not an option as the wets building. Most dangerous time of year in a light aircraft although spectacular if you can do it. Aus is a huge place, Some of my favourites, Arnhiemland NT, Katherine and surrounds, Kunnunurra, Alice, Coral bay wa, and for something different cober pedy, and of course Lake Eyre. You,ll have the time of your life but be prepared. Things are warming up.

Jabawocky
26th Oct 2010, 00:18
Hmmmm pictorial records indictae 107 knots GS, it may have dipped lower :eek:

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab58/jaba430/m_IMG_0350.jpg?t=1288052199

gooneydog
26th Oct 2010, 00:22
She's got a 495 Won't that mean she goes faster ?????????????!!!

VH-XXX
26th Oct 2010, 01:51
Speaking of pictorial records Jaba, please go to the Odometer page of your GNS530W and take a pic of it and post it in photos. That page will tell a lot about your claims!

The Green Goblin
26th Oct 2010, 02:05
Everyone talks up the tropics, but how many of you have actually flown there?

Most of the build ups (as J3 said) are in the afternoon. They are generally coastal and scattered. If you have a GPS and divert around them you will not have a problem whatever time of day you fly. If a storm happens to be over the airstrip you are landing at, hold. It will be gone fairly quickly.

The main problem you will experience is flooding of unsealed airstrips and the risk of a prop strike in mud or getting bogged.

If you plan to land at sealed strips only, you will not have a problem. If you get stuck in the weather there are plenty of airstrips around to put her down and wait it out.

I would suggest doing a flight through the topend in the wet. It will give you 'wet season experience' and it is the most beautiful time to fly. The air is crystal clear (no smoke,haze, dust) everything is bright green, there is water everywhere, and the waterfalls are in full swing in all the national parks.

Take a camera, you will get some photos of some amazing weather, most of which you can appreciate from a distance and make sure you post it on here!

GG

morno
26th Oct 2010, 02:57
Agree with the thunderstorms bit GG, however given that we are gearing up for one of the most active cyclone seasons in many years, also suggests we are gearing up for one of the most active monsoon seasons in a long time as well.

Monsoon rains certainly aren't the type of weather for a VFR lighty to be out and about in. I say this with several years of wet season experience.

morno

The Green Goblin
26th Oct 2010, 03:22
Well obviously you would avoid flying in the area as a low time VFR Pilot if there was a friggen cyclone in the area wouldn't you! (I enjoy flying though cyclone cloud formations particularly when they become tropical depressions, always smooth thick stratus full of moisture, with beautiful flying conditions)

It's not a reason to not go just in case! It would be like saying you should never fly an aeroplane because it could have an engine failure.

GWAS - Go for it!

If Clyde Fenton could fly a Moth from Darwin to China in the 1930s during the wet season with no navaids, open cockpit, no documentation, and a gerry rigged fuel system, I'm sure you could fly a modern (to some extent :eek:) aeroplane around Australia via the topend with GPS and other mod cons.

GG

Jabawocky
26th Oct 2010, 04:05
17 replies and so far not one gentlemanly offer to go with......... just for backup and a scenic trip.

What is wrong with the world?

J:E

morno
26th Oct 2010, 04:28
There isn't always a cyclone associated with a monsoon though GG.....

The Green Goblin
26th Oct 2010, 04:59
There isn't always a cyclone associated with a monsoon though GG.....

I never said there was!

geeup
26th Oct 2010, 05:22
Single engine VFR happens all the time during the "wet" up north.
Have a go you will enjoy it.
If you are unsure of the wx or routes talk to the local charter companies on the airfields and I'm sure they will help you out.

ForkTailedDrKiller
26th Oct 2010, 05:42
however given that we are gearing up for one of the most active cyclone seasons in many years, also suggests we are gearing up for one of the most active monsoon seasons in a long time as well

Morno, I am surprised to see that you appear to believe this rubbish!

To listen to the media, one would think that we are going to be battered my multiple cyclones in 2011. Maybe we will, and maybe we won't, but evidence of the accuracy of such predictions is scant, at best.

Go for it, Girlie with a Stick! I have flown around northern Australia, through summer - for more years than I care to remember.

1) Use some common sense!

2) Try to fly in the mornings - the afternoons are likely to be rough at best and full of CBs at worst.

3) Don't be in a hurry to get to anywhere - if you need to park it, then do so.

4) If in doubt - park it!

5) Watch the fuel thing - it can be tricky - especially in a Warrior type aircraft where you need the range to get to somewhere but then have to get fuel to get to somewhere else.

6) Where to go? Depends where you have been!

Hinchinbrook Channel
Cape York is cool - Weipa, TI
the Gulf - lunch at the Pelican Point pub, Karumba
Lawn Hill gorge
Longreach - Stockman's Hall of Fame and the Qantas Museum
lunch at the Barkly Roadhouse
Lark Quarry - footprints of a dinosuar stampede
Wolf Creek crater - with lunch at the Halls Ck pub
the Bungle Bungle
the Ord
the Kimberley
Broome
Lake Forktailed Doctor Killer
skimpy night at the Leonora pub ....... OK, maybe not!
the Rock
flying along the cliffs of the Great Ozzie Bight
lunch at the Nullabor Roadhouse
Coober Pedy
Lake Eyre
lunch at the Birdsville pub
the dig tree
etc, etc Dr :8

PS: and watch out for the restricted areas around Coober Pedy/Lake Eyre - Jaba nearly got me in the poo with those!

Barksdale Boy
26th Oct 2010, 05:44
You say you are a native of Wales. I am surprised that as Prime Minister you can afford so much time off.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
26th Oct 2010, 05:48
Hi Miss 'GWaS',

PM sent.......Ta.:ok::ok:

Ixixly
26th Oct 2010, 06:04
I dunno about that FTDK, it seems to be ramping up early this year and the starting and ending of wet season and dry season have been a bit different to the norm. Personally i'm leaning towards this being a very wet year!! Personally I'm really hoping for it ;)

The Green Goblin
26th Oct 2010, 06:26
I dunno about that FTDK, it seems to be ramping up early this year and the starting and ending of wet season and dry season have been a bit different to the norm. Personally i'm leaning towards this being a very wet year!! Personally I'm really hoping for it

There has never been a norm!

Last year the dry season lasted bloody ages and the wet season the year before was crap. This year apparently there was no dry!

In 2007 it rained in the middle of the dry for about 3 weeks non stop (the only time I ever had a problem VFR in the topend)

In 2006 we never had a wet and were moaning about it on pprune. (Do a post search on 'missing, wet season up north'.

GWAS - Believe me, you will not have a problem provided you have sound planning and have a plan B and C. If you want to be a Commercial Pilot, you will have to fly in these conditions VFR for your first job. You may as well get a heads up if the game is for you or not.

Ixixly
26th Oct 2010, 06:55
I bow to GGs experience and agree entirely with him... but I still hope this year will be a big one :}

morno
26th Oct 2010, 09:04
FTDK,
I don't believe much of what the media says. No need to stress.

I do however, listen to what the BOM has to say (go and have a read of all their season forecasts). And I also know when you have sea surface temperatures well above average for this time of year, you're likelyhood of cyclones is higher, as well as their severity.

Not to mention, the year so far has been extremely wet. The tropics are moving into the wet season weather patterns earlier as well.

morno

judge.oversteer
26th Oct 2010, 09:20
Just as an aside, a couple of chaps circumnavigated Australia in a RAAF Beaufighter after the cessation of hostillities in WW11. Unauthorised of course.
They visited almost every RAAF Base on the way, staying at the O's Mess's, and took about 3 months, I think.
Got into a bit of trouble too, when they got back.
Wish I could do that now.....

JO.

Jabawocky
26th Oct 2010, 10:48
PS: and watch out for the restricted areas around Cober Pedy/Lake Eyre - Jaba nearly got me in the poo with those!

Not quite how it happened if I recall..........but GWAS Forkie is right watch the woomera areas especially at the moment with Super Hornet games going on. And if in doubt check with Jaba as he was the one who saved FTDK's ass from wanting to go Willie CK DCT. :p

And here is a cut and paste from a friends message this evening, I am sure in the interests of GA safety he will not mind me posting part of the email.
Had an unknown VFR plow through R564B (singleton firing range) this morning & came within a nats hair of getting hit by a (live)missile from an F18. Im not sure he even saw it (the Hornet or the missile).
I know its gonna happen one-day, but Im at a loss as to how to stop it happening, the aircraft wasnt listening on the area frequency (or just ignored the broadcast safety alert)

Alternatively you could just take me along........

YPJT
26th Oct 2010, 15:18
I'll reinforce what others have said about phoning ahead particularly to check on fuel availability etc. Fuel companies can and have closed down avgas outlets at the drop of a hat. It can take at least one or two issues of ERSA for the information to be published and Airservices will NOT NOTAM fuel availability.

girl with a stick
26th Oct 2010, 23:20
Gentlemen,

A huge thank you for all your advice. As a rookie pilot, tips from those more experienced and actually flying in the areas I'm about to visit are gold to me!

Barksdale Boy

ou say you are a native of Wales. I am surprised that as Prime Minister you can afford so much time off.

I hope you're not calling me a Ranga!

And Jaba if taking a pax didn't defeat the idea of going solo, I'd offer, although I AM taking a "real aeroplane" :)

It's my intention to turn this trip into a book, and I will be keeping a blog, with photos, of the journey. If you're interested, pm me and I'll link you to it.

Thanks again guys

GWaS

Jabawocky
27th Oct 2010, 04:40
"real aeroplane"

:D

One that Trues Out at my end of downwind speed :}

Sounds like a fun time though, and yes a solo trip is good, nobody to get bitchy at when you are running late and want to blame them for spending too long doing their hair!:=

Of course if I went as a tag along on the trip that would not matter if I took too long sleeping in.....coz I would still beat you to the next stop! :E

J;)

Jabawocky
27th Oct 2010, 05:55
Lake Forktailed Doctor Killer
skimpy night at the Leonora pub ....... OK, maybe not!
the Rock

Don't know about the Dr's lake but the skimpy chick at the LEO pub was an awfully nice "Welcome to WA"..........and skimpy was an understatement :ok:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
27th Oct 2010, 08:22
Hi 'Girl',

Don't let the 'skeptics' put you off!!:=

Yes you will see rain, and big CB's etc.
Some are very 'speccy' - i.e. a good camera shot - just stay away from the 'very near proximity' of them....and, anywhere you go, and you have a preference, then choose to use sealed strips whereever rain is imminent / an everyday event...

'Twould be plain bad luck to land somewhere on a DIRT strip, then it RAINS - and you are STUCK there until it dries out and is opened for use again....:=:=

However, having said that, you will find that nowadays, most, not all, strips are 'all weather' - sealed, for use by RFDS aircraft.

As has been said - morning flights are best flights - before the afternoon CB's become 'something to wonder at', and best observed from the comfort of the nearest pub..... and the daily 'heat' turb ain't too uncomfortable to enjoy the ride.

Looking forward to your 'report' of how ya went..!! :ok::ok:

ForkTailedDrKiller
27th Oct 2010, 10:31
Don't know about the Dr's lake but the skimpy chick at the LEO pub was an awfully nice "Welcome to WA"..........and skimpy was an understatement http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

What's it been now? 3 years! .......... and my eyeballs have still not settled fully back into my head!

Dr :8

emeritus
27th Oct 2010, 10:37
GWAS.....

Don't forget to stick a roll of dunny paper under the back seat. You never know when you will need it.
Outback airstrip dunnies dont get serviced all that often and when you gotta go you gotta go.

Emeritus.:)

Jabawocky
27th Oct 2010, 11:30
Amen.........

And for a girl, thats up there with dont fly into CB's :eek:

J:ok:

Goat Whisperer
28th Oct 2010, 00:58
to collect your weather briefings along the way, get a smart phone (iPhone or Android) or iPad connected to Telstra Next G (terrible service but coverage in amazing places) and you'll always be connected.

If you use an iPhone, get the NAIPS app, it really is an excellent way to spend A$10.

blacknight
29th Oct 2010, 03:09
Don't forget to buy a "phone away card" so you can talk to a real briefing officer if you need some clarity with the forecast. NAIPS is good but sometimes a good yarn with a human can shed light on an otherwise blurry forecast. Have found them very helpful at times.
Hope you enjoy Aus and all it has to offer. I plan to do the same one day.

Rojer Wilco
29th Oct 2010, 08:51
Has anyone said Satphone? Depending how remote you're going, they can come in quite handy for nominating and cancelling SAR times.

Last year I did a stack of ops in the WA desert, and found the Satphone we hired was indespensible. The guys I hired it from mailed it to me, and I mailed it back when we got back. Feel free to PM if you need a lead on where to get one.

:ok:

PyroTek
30th Oct 2010, 07:44
to collect your weather briefings along the way, get a smart phone (iPhone or Android) or iPad connected to Telstra Next G (terrible service but coverage in amazing places) and you'll always be connected.

If you use an iPhone, get the NAIPS app, it really is an excellent way to spend A$10.

I know for a fact GWAS has an iPhone. The NAIPS app is invaluable. :ok: