PDA

View Full Version : TK A340 Landing Incident

Charlie_Fox
25th Oct 2010, 06:11
Turkish A340 scraped 25L at Brussels with nbr 1 engine on landing yesterday morning. A banal incident were it not for so many other TK threads.

Nightrider
25th Oct 2010, 08:01
Cannot see any relation to other TK-related threads. :confused:
And if an engine is used to shorten the stopping distance I doubt that this is a "banal" incident.

Tediek
25th Oct 2010, 10:03
what kind of angle of the wings do you need to have the number 1 engine to "kiss" the tarmac.? glad its an incident and not an accident.

Lord Spandex Masher
25th Oct 2010, 10:34
Cannot see any relation to other TK-related threads.

Err...the airline involved.

PaperTiger
25th Oct 2010, 17:36
Two pods apparently...
Incident: Turkish Airlines A343 at Brussels on Oct 24th 2010, engine pod strikes (http://avherald.com/h?article=432a7b56&opt=0)

DouglasFlyer
25th Oct 2010, 18:22
@Tediek

Wing tip or engine scrap:
L/G compressed: 14° bank
L/G not compressed: 18.5° bank

This is for A-340-300 types according Airbus A-340-3xx QRH

hetfield
25th Oct 2010, 18:32
And if an engine is used to shorten the stopping distance

Will two do a better job?

planit
26th Oct 2010, 08:56
Using all 4 pods is most effective, this may require alternate use of 1 +2 then 3+4 for directinal control, unless a very firm touchdown is used, however, taxiing to the gate can prove difficult.

seckin
26th Oct 2010, 09:20
The pilot has resigned according to the news..

waldorfin
26th Oct 2010, 10:45
Expat or local?

seckin
26th Oct 2010, 10:58
local, name is Hasan Biriz

seckin
26th Oct 2010, 11:25
The captain has declared hi fault to a journalist..
The reason of the incident as he stated,
while pushing the reverse throttle for #2&3 he accidentally throttled #1
he also said that they didnt feel anything from the flight deck..

alternatelaw
27th Oct 2010, 07:22
It will happen, I say this as relayed from current inside sources!!
Reasons:
Lack of communication skills in all areas
Huge lack of English skills, ask any European controller
Lack of training, only box ticking
Lack of knowledge of systems
Huge man and boy attitude.
In some cases total disregard for checklists and SOP's ask any 737 driver.

ALT

alternatelaw
27th Oct 2010, 08:18
FYI
Incident: Turkish Airlines A343 at Brussels on Oct 24th 2010, engine pod strikes (http://avherald.com/h?article=432a7b56&opt=0)
ALT

alternatelaw
27th Oct 2010, 08:24
It states in Ops Man hand flying not allowed and autopilot must be used at all times except for T/O and landing.
This is why thier flying skills are below standard as Autopilot generally disconnected at around 400' Agl.
I think most readers will be staarting to get the picture by now.

ALt

BAW001
27th Oct 2010, 11:53
For info, the aircraft TC-JDN just departed Brussels at 1200 local with ADES Istanbul.

Regards,

gchangflyer
27th Oct 2010, 15:56
Its quite worrying-I've SEEN two TK incidents in the last 3 mnths at FAJS-one VERY unstable takeoff-interestingly #1 engine also nearly scraped as acft rotated, the other gear not retracted on takeoff til way past 5nm...oddly both times it was TC-JIJ...i would honestly reconsider flying with TK...

seckin
27th Oct 2010, 16:49
I think this bit of info will be helpful, after the AMS crash, TK signed with DLR in order to eliminate newly hired FO s. First they sent 44 candidates, only 18 passed the first part and only 7 managed to complete the test.
and guess what?
TK solved the problem, only the first part is required now :D

hetfield
27th Oct 2010, 16:56
TK signed with DLR in order to eliminate newly hired FO s. First they sent 44 candidates, only 18 passed the first part and only 7 managed to complete the test.
and guess what?
TK solved the problem, only the first part is required nowTK is obviously afraid about First Officers who speak up or even take over.

foreverboeing
28th Oct 2010, 11:10
Also while one of their domestic flight,they forgot to retract the gear and didn't realise it because of some small failure after T/O.They realised that they were running sort of fuel and they initiated a diversion to Konya and realized that they forgot the gear down when the cpt ordered gear down for landing!After refueling they continued their journey without a report!!Globally YOURS!!

Wireflyer
28th Oct 2010, 13:38
It states in Ops Man hand flying not allowed and autopilot must be used at all times except for T/O and landing.
This is why thier flying skills are below standard as Autopilot generally disconnected at around 400' Agl.

Same with my company - it's not exactly quoted in the OMA, but in company instructions by the chief pilot.

I do not follow these instructions. I'm responsible for my flying skills as well as for many other things. Without practice I'm not able to keep up my scanning and basic flying skills.

In good WX conditions I just "start my landing in 10.000ft", turn everything off and do a raw data approach. :rolleyes:
If everything everything goes well, nobody will ask.
If you do a tailstrike or something else, having flown fully managed will not help you as well. By keeping my skills up I just try to avoid such situations.

28th Oct 2010, 16:37
15000 hours in 727/737/757 and 767 tell me this just can't be true. Flying with the gear down at high speed is so loud it hurts your ears, and the vibration is very apparent! Does anyone have anything to backup this story?

NG_Kaptain
28th Oct 2010, 17:53
Like the time we "forgot" the gear down on a Tristar. Climbing out of ATL we received a call from ATC telling us that they had received a call that we had forgotten to raise the undercarriage, we hadn't, was only that we had hot brakes and needed to cool them off a bit before raising the gear. On taxi out, especially long ones, the L10 had a tendency for the brakes to get hot, at take off they were ok but after take they tended to get a bit hot so we had to use airflow to cool them down. The 343 without brake fans were similar, after retraction they would get hot so you needed to lower them again.
Sorry for adding to the thread creep.
NG

Trentino
29th Oct 2010, 03:55
22134, I wouldnt have believed this story if I had not heard of this happening before, a friend of mine forgot to raise the gear when his IOE captain forgot to call for the gear up, they raised the gear in the upper fl200's when they finally noticed the horrible rate of climb on an already horribly performing aircraft.

Does TK have different quality standards across the fleet?

silverstrata
2nd Nov 2010, 00:08
Lack of communication skills in all areas
Huge lack of English skills, ask any European controller
Lack of training, only box ticking
Lack of knowledge of systems
Huge man and boy attitude.
In some cases total disregard for checklists and SOP's ask any 737 driver.

I have a colleague out there who says very much the same thing - especially that bit about box ticking. The paperwork is PERFECT...