PDA

View Full Version : Sterile Cockpits in Australia

Gundog01
24th Oct 2010, 05:21
Just doing some Human Factors reading and I am interested in how Australian Airlins apply Sterile Cockpit procedures (if at all). Specifically what are your airlines limits etc.

I know the FAA mandate no non-safety related communications during certain phases of flight, but i can't find any legislation in Aust CAO/CASR/CAR etc. Is there somthing I am missing?

slamer.
24th Oct 2010, 05:54
Yes...there has long been speculation about the infertility of Australian pilots, didnt realise Airlines are now setting limits... problem must be more widespread than most thought ..! Overall the greater aviation community will ultimately benefit by this situation

Capt Claret
24th Oct 2010, 06:12
Two types of sterility:

Conversational - No non operational conversation below A100, including on the ground.

Health - Cockpits are grotty places that never get cleaned and no cleaning products are ever supplied. :eek: :{

SeldomFixit
24th Oct 2010, 09:02
Clarry - we had 1 or 2 of the more experienced ginger beers that regularly dusted the pedestals and polished the clocks - they were older guys so probably a generational trait long gone. Can't blame the cleaners for not having a go - must look like a pit of venomous snakes to them and you can be sure no one would have trained them even on basics. :(

SIUYA
24th Oct 2010, 09:31
Captain Claret...

Two types of sterility:
1.Conversational - No non operational conversation below A100, including on the ground.

2.Health - Cockpits are grotty places that never get cleaned and no cleaning products are ever supplied.

Fair enough. Perhaps next time RTFQ? Point 1 of your answer was close, but Point 2 missed the point of what Gundog01 asked.

Gundog...............look at CAAP No: 215-1 (0) for starters. Also look at the international standards (shall have items) for contents of an operations manual (ICAO Annex 6 Part 1, Appendix 2, paragraph 2.1.1...

Instructions outlining the responsibilities of operations personnel pertaining to the conduct of flight operations.

Capn Bloggs
24th Oct 2010, 13:11
Perhaps next time RTFQ? Point 1 of your answer was close, but Point 2 missed the point of what Gundog01 asked.
I hope you're sterile... :rolleyes: Or, as Al Czervick said, "Lighten up, Honey!". ;)

Claret, we're (I mean you) shortly to be issued with Dustbusters. http://www.smilies.our-local.co.uk/index_files/roflarf.gif

sleeve of wizard
24th Oct 2010, 13:50
If the flight deck is dirty write it up in the tech log. Finger prints on the PFD/ND require a specific method of cleaning (not sure why people still insist on touching the screens) procedure is in the AMM. Slight thread drift!:ouch:

Capt Claret
24th Oct 2010, 14:37
Siuya,

So sorry old son, I promise to try harder next time. :8

mattyj
24th Oct 2010, 20:05
geeez someone got out of the wrong side of their crew rest:hmm:

Propjet88
24th Oct 2010, 21:20
Good banter, but please indulge me - back to the original question for a bit as its important.

Unlike the FAA, CASA does not mandate sterile cockpits. However, the operations manuals of individual airlines should do but it is only covered by CASA in advisory material (CAAP). Ops manual requirements vary significantly between companies. e.g.

No "non - operational" conversation at all on the flight deck from:

1. Engine start to top of climb / top of descent to shutdown
2. Push back or taxi to transition altitude / transition level to park
3. Entering the runway to 5,000 ft / 5,000 ft to exiting the runway

The number of variations goes on and has permutations associated with using the same terminology for cabin crew but meaning something different (when they can call the flight deck).

Some airlines do not have any sterile cockpit procedures at all. Most do but in my experience, not much attention is paid to these operations manuals requirements with them being treated as "advisory" or ignored.

Perhaps the light hearted way that the question has been dealt with above gives a bit of an indication as to how sterile cockpit rules / procedures are regarded by many.

You may gather that it is a subject close to my heart! No matter how clever we think we are, at the end of the day we are single channel processors i.e. can really only give one thing our attention at a time. I've heard too many CVR's where the conversation leading up to the accident was anything but operational.

Fly safe
PJ

Dragun
24th Oct 2010, 21:50
SIUYA

You are a tool. It was pretty obvious to me and everyone else reading this that the Capt was JOKING!

Wow...:ugh:

cone zone
24th Oct 2010, 22:49
Bloggs and Clarry, you guys make the mess so unless it is edible us engineers leave it be;)

Skynews
25th Oct 2010, 00:08
Cone zone, you make a good point that raises another question.
If anything, what do you consider inedible?

Capt Claret
25th Oct 2010, 00:45
Bloggs and Clarry, you guys make the mess so unless it is edible us engineers leave it be;)

Some of it cone zone but I've never seen a cloud of dust follow Bloggs to the flight deck then deposit itself on the DUs, or the instrument panels. The small brush I carry just deposits it some where else.

If the flight deck can't be cleaned when the rest of the cabin is, then a few tools to do it, would be mighty handy. :}

The Green Goblin
25th Oct 2010, 01:20
I always carry alcohol wipes in my bag with me and give the yoke and the oxy mask a wipe before I use it :p

I also always carry hand sanitizer too.

F.Nose
25th Oct 2010, 02:22
Usually there's a cloud of dust left when leaving the cockpit. Maybe thats the one Cone Zone is referring to. :E

Capn Bloggs
25th Oct 2010, 06:17
Perhaps the light hearted way that the question has been dealt with above gives a bit of an indication as to how sterile cockpit rules / procedures are regarded by many.
On the contrary. ;)

Jibbering about irrelevances at the wrong time has caused accidents that have killed hundreds of people and will continue to do so. If a Sterile Cockpit policy isn't in a company's ops manual AND adhered to, then it bloody-well should be. :=

Rose_Thorns
25th Oct 2010, 08:28
Interesting topic.

Anecdotal evidence to hand after some 'on the drums' communications.

One crew got bollixed because the PF made a timely 'non standard' (funny) aside, which relived some tension in a tough part of a sim exercise.

Another crew, (same sim and sim operator) were criticized, because it was "like a tomb".

Naturally, the first crew had talked to the second crew.:ugh:

I don't mind what the 'rules' are, but lets try for standard operational procedure. That cannot be too much to ask.

Sotto voce - 'Can it' ?.

Lord Spandex Masher
25th Oct 2010, 10:42
I always carry alcohol wipes in my bag with me and give the yoke and the oxy mask a wipe before I use it

Very good, helps to prevent nav aids.

limelight
25th Oct 2010, 11:44
LSM,

ROFL, killed the thread stone dead.

A37575
25th Oct 2010, 13:13
If a Sterile Cockpit policy isn't in a company's ops manual AND adhered to, then it bloody-well should be.

What was originally supposed to be a silent cockpit below 10,000 ft has been superseded by almost continuous babble of pilots announcing MCP changes, FMA changes, and a host of other "talking" SOP's instead of simply using their eyes to confirm rather than fly by mouth. While all this yakking goes under the banner of perceived "essential" CRM, there are some who prefer the silent cockpit policy of yore.:ok:

Skynews
25th Oct 2010, 21:52
What was originally supposed to be a silent cockpit below 10,000 ft has been superseded by almost continuous babble of pilots announcing MCP changes, FMA changes, and a host of other "talking" SOP's instead of simply using their eyes to confirm rather than fly by mouth. While all this yakking goes under the banner of perceived "essential" CRM, there are some who prefer the silent cockpit policy of yore
Absolutely, but don't mention the " modern" version of CRM.:yuk:

teresa green
29th Oct 2010, 10:07
We used to have a bloke turn up with a bottle of Dettol, and do the whole flight deck, BEFORE he took his seat, the flight deck used to smell like a casualty ward, and he wore GLOVES. His nickname was grub.:O

Nadzab
29th Oct 2010, 20:52
I used to work for a company that insisted on sterile cockpit procedures whenever the aircraft was below 10,000 ft.

I found that policy really strange and a bit difficult to enforce.

The company only operated single pilot aircraft.:p