PDA

View Full Version : Seaplane Accident Cairns 24/10

FOD_Hazard
24th Oct 2010, 02:59
Just heard about this accident. Glad to hear all got out ok.

CP position recently adverised on AFAP and a mass exodus of experienced pilots in the last 12-18 months one would have to think that they were very lucky.

No injuries after seaplane crashes off Qld

October 24, 2010 - 9:34AM
AAP
Seven people escaped injury when their seaplane crashed shortly after takeoff in north Queensland, flipping upside down into the water.
Police are currently investigating the crash, which occurred about 1.5km northeast of Green Island, off Cairns, at 4.30pm (AEST) on Saturday.
The sea plane was carrying seven people when it went into the water and there were on injuries.
Advertisement: Story continues below

© 2010 AAP (http://news.theage.com.au/action/displayCopyrightNotice?sourceOrganisation=AAP)
Brought

DaisyDuck
24th Oct 2010, 09:33
According to WIN news tonight , it took off, had an engine warning light come on, and then the pilot landed in the water. A boat took the pax away and the aircraft was then swamped. :confused:

CazbahKid
24th Oct 2010, 10:43
At the risk of sounding stupid, isn't the point of a seaplane to stay afloat on water?

FOD_Hazard
24th Oct 2010, 12:01
DD, Sounds like more lies from the GM were used in the news story. Pretty sure PCF does not have an engine warning light. Beaver instrument panel is pretty basic. It does have a low fuel pressure warning light at the top of the panel (comes on as a reminder to change fuel tanks when you are just about to run a tank dry and your fuel pressure starts to drop). If the pilot took off with the wrong tank selected then that is just about the only light you would see in that cockpit. They may have changed the panel since I last flew it but I doubt it.

A few questions spring to mind....If the boat took the pax away why didnt they attach a rope and tow the plane to shallower water where it could be anchored.

If a warning light was observed after take off then the time taken from getting airborne for a low level circle and land back at the island would be all of 60-90 seconds. That would be a much better option than to put it down straight away in rough water at the end of the GI take off run. If you got an engine warning light after take off from a runway then you would not automatically put it straight down in the trees at the end of the runway would you? as long as the engine is developing power you would try and get back to the runway.

Such a pity as it was a real nice Beaver, was fully rebuilt about 10 years ago after an air to air in canada in the 90s. Wonder if they will rebuild it again.

CK, a seaplane is supposed to remain afloat on the water but the floats on PCF were very ordinary. That plane almost sank about 18 months ago when the GM decided he would tow it back from GI in 15+kt winds (pilot experienced dropping oil pressure and rising temps so put it down at GI as a precaution). At the time the GM chose to ignore a senior pilots recomendation to leave the plane moored at the island until the wind dropped to a level safe enough to tow the plane back to cairns. end result was a nice pic on page 3 of the local rag with half the plane under water on a sandbank near cape grafton waiting for the tide to drop so they could pump the floats and finish the tow.

cowl flaps
24th Oct 2010, 12:35
FOD, I've always thought a seaplane was an a/c with a hull,- like a boat. And a floatplane was a normal, (land based ?) a/c, (yep) on floats.

1a sound asleep
24th Oct 2010, 21:28
Salvage plan for stranded seaplane- Local Cairns News | cairns.com.au (http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2010/10/25/131945_local-news.html)

The seaplane had seven Chinese tourists on board when the pilot noticed a problem with the flight equipment and landed back in the water only minutes after take-off.
While no one was injured, Cairns Seaplanes spokesman Ron Cusisk said the plane sustained some damage and started to take on water and flipped about two hours after the landing.

FOD_Hazard
24th Oct 2010, 23:12
1a. sounds like more lies and spin from rc (he has a history of this).

Nice pics in the news article. Must have been a real hard landing...look at the position of the aft end of the LH float in the first pic, its sitting right up under the wing. Half the elevator is missing in one pic and looks like there is a bit of damage to the right hand wing tip in the other. Maybe half a cartwheel thrown in for good measure. Would like to see some higher res pics too, hard to tell but looks like the flaps are retracted....wont get a fully loaded beaver in the air with no flaps. maybe they are set for take off but hard to tell.

Pilot attrition rate is now at 9-10 pilots in the last 2 years and most if not all of them have left because of rc and his constant lies.

note
25th Oct 2010, 13:16
plane had list to left 1st opposite cns post photo, after attempted tow the pod collapsed, anchor was attached, later the plane capsized.

Lunch Lady Doris
26th Oct 2010, 00:55
looks like a section of elevator came off also, impossible to tell when though.

Doesn't look like any flap out to me. That would be one thinking pilot to retract those after a landing that hard.

Seaplanes - a new lesson every day!

Ejector
26th Oct 2010, 04:12
Cairns seaplanes DO NOT want experienced float drivers.
What are they afraid of?

Pricks :mad:

Super Cecil
26th Oct 2010, 04:59
Is this the same mob who were advertising in Canada for pilots saying there were none in this country?

just add water
26th Oct 2010, 10:49
Same mob. Back when they were advertising for pilots in Canada the senior pilots had high standards. Not saying that OZ doesn't produce good seaplane pilots, just that at the time only low time guy's, or unsuitable guy's were applying from within OZ. Since management has chased off most of the senior pilots, it seems like standards have slipped.

FOD_Hazard
26th Oct 2010, 11:22
Ejector. Its not that they dont want experienced guys. They just cant retain them. The guys with the experience usually tire pretty quickly of rc, his constant lies, continual interference in operational matters (of which he has absolutely no idea) and deplorable micromanagement. Most if not all pilots that have left in the last 2 years would happily return if rc was taken out of the equation.

Ejector
26th Oct 2010, 14:10
OK, no disrespect to you FOD Hazard at all.

But that's a bit like, "Can I have a Mars bar?", and the answer being, "Yes you can, but you may not!"

If they wanted experienced Beaver and C208 pilots on water ops with extensive North QLD Barrier Reef experience, then they would not of bluntly offended people with not just a pathetic wage and conditions package, but an insult as a wage T&C package to all but a very low time hour chaser. Talk about an out of touch management.
I am so happy the Chinese got out, phew. Sounds like a close call. Twisted beer cans, even a beaver, is ok if no one hurt.

Everyone knew about management there anyway, for all the wrong reasons. The Insurance company wont have to dig very far to wipe their hands clear of this one.

I do not mean it's the PIC fault, could easily be mechanical. Even if it is, low fuel pressure, cough cough....

Do you know who ways at the controls, initials ok.

All I can say is Karma to management, what goes around, comes around. :yuk::yuk:

Edit:Typo

FOD_Hazard
26th Oct 2010, 21:42
Ejector check your pms.

Think we are in agreement on just about everything you have said. You pay peanuts you get monkeys.

If they wanted experienced Beaver and C208 pilots on water ops with extensive North QLD Barrier Reef experience, then they would not of bluntly offended people with not just a pathetic wage and conditions package, but an insult as a wage T&C package to all but a very low time hour chaser. Talk about an out of touch management.
This is why they are now looking for a new CP!

The Insurance company wont have to dig very far to wipe their hands clear of this one.
thinking the same

no one
2nd Nov 2010, 23:11
Anyone know what happened to the plane in the end, as in did it eventually get towed back to Green Island or Cairns.
Interested as I was on a tourist boat which was one of the first at the scene, I assumed it was a write off due to all the sea water it took on.

Thanks.

weloveseaplanes
3rd Nov 2010, 19:01
Attempts to tow her failed as the submerged right float and conditions prevented successful towing. She was finally abandoned and the old girl slipped beneath the waves on her final flight down into Davy Jones locker.

RIP PCF

:{

FOD_Hazard
3rd Nov 2010, 23:37
Apparently....PCF was recovered about 4-5 days after the accident, she is now sitting in the Cairns shipyard.

no one
4th Nov 2010, 09:02
Ok, thanks.

Yeah the poor Beaver didn't look in good shape, especially after our boat was used to try and tow it...then the right float collapsed.

Capt Fathom
4th Nov 2010, 12:59
Well! Is it at the bottom of the ocean or at the Cairns shipyard?

Don't make me drive down there to find out! :}

MyNameIsIs
4th Nov 2010, 13:13
Don't make me drive down there to find out!

Drive down to where, the bottom of the ocean?

Might need one of these:

http://menscrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Swimming-Car-4.jpg

Give it a set of wings and it might be the ultimate machine.....

storkis
16th Dec 2010, 07:12
Interested to know what finally happened to the Beaver airframe after the salvage? Father in Kiwi land is looking for a project a/c to re-build, I guess it was written off by the insurance company? Does anybody have any information or relevant contact details?
I did previously e-mail the said float plane company to inquire, but no reply.

Thanks.