PDA

View Full Version : Virgin ad

wooof
20th Nov 2001, 15:32
RB would appear to be getting more desperate-

NEW YORK, Nov 20 (Reuters) - Virgin Atlantic Airways wants Hollywood celebrities to know that the chief executive of archrival carrier British Airways Plc (LSE: BAY.L - news) ADVERTISEMENT reportedly called them "gutless cowards."

Virgin Atlantic, majority-owned by billionaire entrepreneur Richard Branson's Virgin Group , is running advertisements in trade journals The Hollywood Reporter and Variety that feature remarks made by British Airways' Chief Executive Rod Eddington.

Calling out celebrities who were afraid to fly in the wake of the Sept. 11 air attacks in the United States, Eddington said in a Nov. 7 interview with the U.K. newspaper The Mirror: "They want everyone to see their movies and think how big and brave they are. But at the first sign of trouble they cower under their beds like gutless cowards."

Virgin's ad juxtaposes Eddington's "gutless cowards" quote with a response from Branson that simply states Virgin Atlantic's phone number.

"The overall message of the ad is 'When you're ready to fly, give us a call,'" said John Riordan, vice president of marketing for Virgin.

A British Airways spokeswoman said it would be inapproriate for the airline to comment on the ads because it had not seen them yet.

Mode7
21st Nov 2001, 05:11
Another patheic attempt by TWB :mad:

vtmsch
21st Nov 2001, 07:25
Well, you start with Eddington's pathetic tantrum, and it goes downhill from there.

What's that they say about catching more flies with honey than with vinegar?

Lou Scannon
22nd Nov 2001, 15:30
It's the first time in my life that I have ever felt more in tune with the boss of BA rather than the owner of one of the "independents".
I believe that we will see even more of Sir Dicks true character exposed over the next few months as the pressure mounts.

Eddington seems to have more of the "Laker" about him than RB has ever displayed.