PDA

View Full Version : A Career in the AAC?

Antony49
21st Oct 2010, 21:28
I am a serving soldier in the Royal Engineers. I am now thinking of transfering across to the Army Air Corps to fly helicopters. Does anyone know how enjoyable this would be, quality of life, tour life, treatement etc? Do pilots get treated with more respect and better living conditions than that of a regular soldier? Has anyone transferred across and done the pilots course?

Thanks!

piggybank
21st Oct 2010, 23:33
A Career in the AAC?

I am a serving soldier in the Royal Engineers. I am now thinking of transferring across to the Army Air Corps to fly helicopters. Does anyone know how enjoyable this would be, quality of life, tour life, treatment etc? Do pilots get treated with more respect and better living conditions than that of a regular soldier? Has anyone transferred across and done the pilots course?

Thanks!

I was with REME detached to the Air Corps. REME used to be the only permanent part of the Army Air Corps, everyone else, the gunners and pilots seemed to be on short term detachments.

I cannot say the pilots get more or less respect. They are seen for what they are, someone with a much needed skill. As an NCO pilot you will get quite passable pay, if you get a commission your pay will be eaten up by uniforms and mess bills.

I left a long time back, 1973, but I do remember a Captain remarking to me that my money in the hand was more at the end of the month than what he had.

I was on the team that trained the pilots in ‘combat’ use of the helicopter and certainly the pilots, commissioned and non-commissioned tackled their tasks with great enthusiasm.

What is your long term plan? The Army will not always want you, nor need you the way cuts are going. My parting remark must be make sure you have a second string to your bow (another sellable skill) for when you do not make the medical or the market for pilots goes too lean to pay your bills.

floatsarmed
22nd Oct 2010, 00:38
Life in the AAC is much the same as the rest of the British Army although some might say the AAC are a bit less rigid and more relaxed than some other corps. That's not to say that they are in any way unprofessional as the complete opposite is true. Pilots do get separated from some of the more mundane tasks but they are usually busy doing aircrew specific tasks. They may get to crash out in a tent as they need their sleep but in terms of being treated 'better' just because they are aircrew....not really.

What you need to ask yourself is why do you want to go to the AAC? If you just want to fly helicopters then just apply for Pilot selection whilst still in the RE as anyone can apply. You don't need to be in the AAC to apply for pilot selection it's Armywide. It was for full screws and above when I was there but it may now be Sgt as a minimum? Flying is fun no doubt about it but after a few years it's just a job. Fun but still a job.

Why not consider retraining as a REME helicopter technician and then at least you'll have a good trade when you get out if the pilot course does not work out and you can have a good close look at being a pilot in the process?

My advice, go for it. However, have a fall back position if you don't make it through selection or the Pilot course itself. Don't hang about either because there is an upper age limit on Pilot selection which used to be around 28 years old.

If you don't like the RE any more then bug out fast and do something you like because lifes just too short .

Good luck
Floats'

Epiphany
22nd Oct 2010, 04:06
You are better off posting this on the military forum unless you already have?

If you are serving in the RE why don't you get information on the AAC from within the Army? If you did you would know that you do not 'transfer' to the AAC - you submit an application for pilot training. Then if you are accepted, pass the course and serve in an AAC unit you may get the opportunity to transfer.

You'll still be a soldier first and a pilot second in the Army so don't expect any great improvement in your living conditions etc. You will still get stuffed around and shake your head at gross incompetence. Pay will be better because of flying pay, rank and pay band and you may be treated with a little more respect.

If you enjoy military life and want to fly without having to get a commission then NCO pilot in the AAC is the way to go. I loved it.

Two's in
22nd Oct 2010, 21:18
A49,

Go to your Orderly Room and look at a copy of Army General Administrative Instructions (AGAIs) for the criteria for Pilot/Aircrew Selection, it used to be AGAI 43. You need to know if you meet the top level selection criteria before you get stuck in the details. If you qualify then apply - it will cost you nothing, and can't be stopped at Unit level.

Antony49
23rd Oct 2010, 10:55
I have applied, I meet the criteria luckily and have passed the initial medicals. It is a 2 year course and a 6 year restriciton which is a bit daunting. I was just trying to find out what life is like as an army pilot, how often you are away on tour etc as I don't want to sign up for 6 years without knowing a bit about what my life would be like for the next 6 years! Really appreciate all the feedback guys!

floatsarmed
23rd Oct 2010, 11:30
A49

I don't want to burst you bubble here but.........Being a helicopter pilot as a career can be a long and hard road. In the Army there is a very high standard to reach and maintain,quickly and the levels of competition for a well paid position in civvyland can be harsh.

So whilst I would encourage you to follow your dreams just make sure that you really want to pursue the career long term because there are times when you REALLY gotta want it.

Having said all that. When you're strapped in and flying around earning a few quid along the way it rocks!

Good luck either way. :ok:

Art of flight
23rd Oct 2010, 11:58
There's a reason it's 6 years, as you say 2 years basic course to be an Army pilot, then 4 years first tour germany/UK based, during that time you will work towards 'Aircraft Commander' qualification and combat ready plus perhaps Apache conversion. Towards the end of the 4 year tour you may be invited to apply for transfer to the AAC. If you transfer thats you until the 22 years expires or if you don't transfer you return to your parent Corps/Regiment.

Life as an army pilot? As others have said, you'll still be the soldier first, if you're a JNCO you'll be doing Guard duties, fatigue parties and the rest of the soldiering stuff that goes with the rank (you'll also get the lions share of the short notice early and late slots in the simulator, night flying roster etc). If you're a SNCO, its guard Comd, orderly SNCO etc, mess duties, commitees, organising night flying, and you still get to stand in the rear rank at muster parades.

Of course your life will mainly be taken up with flying, training for flying, and planning for flying. It's a life of intense scrutiny of your standards both on the ground and in the air so not for those who can't take orders, adhere to SOPs and take criticism.

Currently you'll be deployed for 4 months around every 18 months to 2 years and when back you'll be training to go again or tasking on exercises around the UK etc.

If you can do all of that you'll be rewarded with some great flying and some great mates that you can rely on. One word of caution for anyone thinking it's a quick way to get a good qualification to a good job outside, It will take around 10 years of flying to gain sufficient flying hours for a professional job outside, and the market is slimming by the day, we're just about to see around 30 to 40 police pilots (ex mil-2000 hours plus) be made redundant due to cuts in the next 18 months.

Good luck, that was the path I trod, and wouldn't have changed it.

HEDP
23rd Oct 2010, 13:02
As someone who is still serving in the AAC, but wanting not to compromise anonymity on this forum, feel free to PM me with your email address and I would be happy to give you the info you are after.

HEDP