PDA

View Full Version : ATPL theory in Germany

Mungaloid
21st Oct 2010, 19:46
Hello everyone!

I am looking at doing the ATPL theory exams in Germany but am somewhat surprised by the price of such courses.

Is is true that the only LBA approved ATPL distance learning courses are
Civil Aviation Training Europe (Euros 2700) and
Groeger (Euros 2800)?

Once this is completed then the brushup/"unterricht" must be completed at an approved FTO. Having recieved 4 quotations form various FTO's the 2 week brushup courses range upwards from 2500 to over 5000 euros!!!

This brings the total to over 5700 EUROS!! Just for ATPL theory!! This is absolutely ridiculous. Unfortunately I can only do the flight training and testing in Germany as I am living (with my family) and working in Germany.

What are all the other students doing?

I have applied for an exemption from the LBA for them to recognise the UK CAA exams. This has been rejected 3 times!! Unfortunately the UK CAA will not give an exemption to conduct the flight training and testing in Germany.

Although these prices for the ATPL courses are high, is that the going rate and is it a case of take it or leave it?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

hst145
22nd Oct 2010, 21:08
A solution may be there in the form of CATS UK
They have been talking about it for some time and I believe have now set up in Dortmund

Teaching to be led by Stuart Smith and other instructors are being recruited

Mungaloid
23rd Oct 2010, 12:47
Many thanks,

I have just spoken to them (CATS UK) based in Dortmund. They applied to the LBA for approval earlier this year in March. Unfortunately this has not yet been granted.

Cost of the course is 1900 Euros, including the brush up week/s. The price is certainly attractive when compared to what's currently available.

So what do I do -

1. Sign up for the course, hoping that the approval will be granted.
(:ugh: Never sign up and pay for an unapproved course!!)

2. Wait till the approval is granted, then sign up.
(How long do I wait? :ugh:...3 months...6 months....1 year....)

3. Or just bang my head against the wall all day long, and sign up for a course that's currently approved - at the expensive of over 5 000 Euros:ugh::ugh::ugh:.

4. Go learn German..........

AH JA!! The joys of decision making!!!

AndreHaufe
23rd Oct 2010, 17:09
Itīs not possible to buy an unapproved course. We can put you on a UK based course, that you can start to learn the material. Here in the UK we have all approvals and we can guarantee your training, that you donīt waste your money.

Once we have received the approval in Germany we can transfer you to a German course.

CATS Support
23rd Oct 2010, 20:01
You may by all means start the first stage of the online course for free

Stuart is in Germany in November for a CGI / HOT meeting and more news about CATS Deutschland will be forthcoming

There are two approvals to gain:
The distance learning educational approval has been received
We are await the LBA course approval

Mungaloid
23rd Oct 2010, 21:24
That certainly seems like a reasonable offer. :)

Enjoy the weekend and I look forward to contacting you next week.

iwrbf
24th Oct 2010, 18:24
*sarcasm on*

What did you expect? You're in Germany, after all! Welcome to the land of knowledge, the country of free speech, "pace pace" and social equality!

*sarcasm off*

(I know this is not really constructive input, but I see 'my' country as corrupt and overblown as it can be seen...)

ZAZOO
25th Oct 2010, 14:56
Andre, please let me know when I can start the course! Also based in Germany FAA ATPL 3700TT with over 3300hrs on B737, flying in Africa and:) lookin at getting my JAR ATPL.

Thanks in Advance

Zazoo